User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone give me the skinny on the water tank capacities. I am looking at a Flagstaff model with fresh water 58, black water 30, gray water 30. Seems to make sense to have more fresh water than black and gray. Then I look at the 2500RL with fresh at 52, black 39, gray 78.

I can foresee boondocking. I want understand the logic with regard to these tank sizes. Clearly Flagstaff and GD think differently.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    Can someone give me the skinny on the water tank capacities. I am looking at a Flagstaff model with fresh water 58, black water 30, gray water 30. Seems to make sense to have more fresh water than black and gray. Then I look at the 2500RL with fresh at 52, black 39, gray 78.

I can foresee boondocking. I want understand the logic with regard to these tank sizes. Clearly Flagstaff and GD think differently.
    When boondocking or dry camping where you don't have sewer hookup I have found that it is usually possible to add more fresh water as needed relatively easy, especially with the Nautilus system where the pump can empty your container. The GD tank sizing allows much more of this than the Flagstaff sizing. We had a Rockwood previously (identical to Flagstaff except colours) and found that we had to be very careful with gray tank as we topped up fresh when low. I prefer the larger waste tanks. Easier to add fresh water than dump gray without sewer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I understand. Thank you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2150RB has same almost 80 gallon capacity for grey and I had assumed that was because there are two grey tanks, maybe 39 gallons each. 2150RB floor plan puts the shower and bath sink on one tank, the kitchen on the other tank. I wonder if the 2500RL, all the plumbing in the center, has two grey tanks?
    Regarding the Flagstaff vs GDRV difference, I wonder if it is weight related with the Flagstaff being a bit more realistic? With 60 gallons of fresh and boon docking, the total weight of the Flagstaff is only slightly more (due to waste) when the fresh is empty and the grey/blacks are full. 60 gallons is about 500 pounds of weight, maybe 550 pounds with waste added.
    The GDRV method, would add about 680 pounds of grey and about 360 pounds of black if the tanks were full. That is over 1000 pounds of water and waste. Given the “specified cargo” capacity of the axles is in the 1500 pound range, I would not want to tow the trailer with full tanks too far.

It is always nice to have extra capacity, but it should also be considered when moving over long or rough terrain.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doing my research for my first travel trailer. The RV industry is scary by anyone's account. From what I read, two names stand out for quality and customer support; Grand Design and Winnebago. I would like to hear from some of you owners. Give me your real world view of GD TT.

Something I read a lot about are TT that may be only a year or so old and the owner has replaced or changed so many things. Water heaters, AC units, furnaces, faucets,...... From what I am reading these posts are not unique. What gives? How could these things go out in a year or two? Are these travel trailers in some stage of decay the moment they come off the assembly line?

As Grand Design owners, how would you rate your campers against other brands? Would you buy another? If not, what brand and why?

Lastly, of the GD TT floor plans several of them have the frig in a slideout. I read in another forum that a frig in a slideout is not recommended. When I asked why it was explained like this, "Because propane needs airflow over the rear coils .. easier done with a lower side vent and a roof vent not two side vents. Just doesn’t naturally convect the air as well. Also I would avoid weight in the slide out .. the cheap slide tracks on the outside of the slide are not the best design for any heavy slide imo Lots of failures "

Can someone with a frig in a slideout tell me what they think?
    OK I think GD is slightly better than most, all use the same components. Build quality is so so not worse but not not stellar IE the drawer glides were stapled to a very flimsey support in back and drawer fronts did not align with cabinet, I fixed but was bummed out in lack of QC and a more robust design. MY big slide out is traditional design, the short slide in kitchen is a weird design, can not remember design type, looks weak to me and heard many horror stories about that design. Kitchen sink drain was overtightened and cracked, one trip to HD fixed it. some would be intimidated to try and fix. gray water storage was misleading, thought we would be fine but we have 2 small tanks instead of the one large one I was expecting, bathroom fills quickly! Axles and frame seem better than my last 2 TT's. Don't think any TT mfg really has a handle on QC and details to make a TT trouble free, just my 3 cents worth.
    Tim in NC 2670MK (like the floor plan but we gave up some storage areas)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GC Owner of 2150 Imagine

I am doing my research for my first travel trailer. The RV industry is scary by anyone's account. From what I read, two names stand out for quality and customer support; Grand Design and Winnebago. I would like to hear from some of you owners. Give me your real world view of GD TT.

Something I read a lot about are TT that may be only a year or so old and the owner has replaced or changed so many things. Water heaters, AC units, furnaces, faucets,...... From what I am reading these posts are not unique. What gives? How could these things go out in a year or two? Are these travel trailers in some stage of decay the moment they come off the assembly line?

As Grand Design owners, how would you rate your campers against other brands? Would you buy another? If not, what brand and why?

Lastly, of the GD TT floor plans several of them have the frig in a slideout. I read in another forum that a frig in a slideout is not recommended. When I asked why it was explained like this, "Because propane needs airflow over the rear coils .. easier done with a lower side vent and a roof vent not two side vents. Just doesn’t naturally convect the air as well. Also I would avoid weight in the slide out .. the cheap slide tracks on the outside of the slide are not the best design for any heavy slide imo Lots of failures "

We own a GD Imagine 2150 with 1 slide (includes the refrigerator). We Love our TT and have had no problems with it since we purchased it 2 years ago. We have made a few changes like adding a faucet for our own bottled water with it's own pump, but the changes we have made we would have done to any TT that we purchased. It's just part of making it our own. Hope you enjoy your Travel Trailer!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a 2018 Imagine 2500Rl in the Summer of 2017. It was a step up for us from a pop up camper as we are at the age that its usually just the two of us and occasionally a guest or our grandson and we wanted comfort. We travel to a few NASCAR events and do a little weekend camping around the Northeast. The overall has been very satisfying. We travel with 2 friends who have purchased similar size units made by two different manufacturers during the same time frame. Our coach by far offers the most quality in appearance and performance. We do have a refrigerator in our slide and it performs perfectly.

Now the part you need to hear! We had two recalls during the first year of ownership. Both of these were recalls to make repairs before they became issues. One was for the smart jack, and this was replaced with brand-new by GD,the second was faulty wiring connections on our AC unit. When I expressed my concern to the service writer she assured me that GD is by far superior to other manufacturers in issuing these recalls to fix problems before they ruin your experience.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INMHO...none of the above.Find a later model Hitchhiker...you will never regret it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming up on a year and 4000 miles on my Reflection 297. No major issues. The igniter board did go out on the water heater. Called it in had a new board within a week. 2 screws and a plug in and all fixed.

The fridge in the slide works just fine. It is plugged into shore power between trips right now and set at the middle range. The weather has been hot and temp inside the TT is low 90 in the afternoon. The fridge tops out about 39 and the freezer goes up to about 10. As the ambient temp cools the fridge goes to 35 and freezer to 5. If I max it out the thermostat, knock 4 or 5 degrees off the highs.
    2017 Duramax 2500HD pulling a
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just purchased our first TT a 2018 GD 2670 MK we love the floor plan the two slide outs create a lot of front living space , the island is a bonus . This has been our maiden voyage and haven`t had any major issues. THere are some minor issues the fireplace doesn`t work and a couple of other issues. so far everything is being looked after ,but if you are buying new that is to be expected We have had a MH before and decided that this fit our travel needs better. I have done research and a lot of looking I found the GD to be one of the most impressive ones that I have seen and things are being fixed. Do not get discourged in your quest for a TT I would buy another GD in a heart beat they offer a lot in there packages good cabinets and over all a well buit RV . The matress we found too stiff but we bought a foam topper and that solved the problem. I started a post IS AN F150 ENOUGH TRUCK there was a lot of great opinions and comments you decide which truck myself I would rather have too much truck than not enough. Wish you luck in your search and happy trails.
    Ken
    2018 2670 MK
    F150 but going to F250
    Welland, Ontario

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast