User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadside Assistance Programs

Any thoughts on which company might currently be the best value?

After having a plan for several years, and not using it, I'm thinking I might just "self-insure". But, I have a deadly combination: an old truck and a new trailer!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is quite a few threads on this topic with lots of useful information and opinions that may be of help, but the one that typically rises to the top is Coachnet. Not sure what you consider best value and whether Coachnet falls into that category, but their service and customer service is typically top drawer.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you are really getting is someone who’s not on the side of the road to work the phone trying to find a service person. If that is worth it to you, it may be good, but with the availability of cell phones it has much less value.

The fact is, the odds are very, very high that you will pay more in premiums than you will get back in service savings.

The other thing to realize is that they offer towing companies a lowball price to help you, so many times you aren’t going to get the best service. You can often negotiate a better rate yourself with cash.

FMCA seems to have good reviews.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Route 66 with our first fiver - used it once with a huge deductible. I then asked USAA (insures all our vehicles including the RV) about roadside assistance. They added it to all three vehicles for only a few dollars a month each. My daughter has used her USAA roadside assistance several times with very good results. You might check with your insurance company and see if they offer RA for RVs.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been very happy with CAA or AAA in the US. I have the RV premium plan. Had to use it a few times. Once for my previous Rockwood when someone else packed the bearings and one of the went an hour out of Myrtle beach. A few times with starter troubles in the Tundra and then with my son on his car with power steering hose failures.

Usually I don't get extended warranties or things like this but so far very happy with this one.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    There is quite a few threads on this topic with lots of useful information and opinions that may be of help, but the one that typically rises to the top is Coachnet. Not sure what you consider best value and whether Coachnet falls into that category, but their service and customer service is typically top drawer.
    Yes, that's the company I used when I had coverage. I did use them once to tow my personal vehicle (not RV related) and that one tow paid for almost 2 years of membership. Never used them afterwards. The pricing on Coach-Net has really increased, but they still may be the best when service is considered.

Kinda funny you don't see Good Sam Roadside Assistance mentioned much like you used to. I will check with my insurance company to see if they can cover this.

You are really getting more than a person on the phone arranging service for you. It's also insurance that pays for the towing, etc. I can't imagine what it would cost to tow both a trailer and a truck 100 miles or more if you were out in the sticks, and I'm not sure how negotiable service is going to be if they know you need them right now! With any insurance you are probably always going to pay more in premiums than what you get in return. I could probably build a new house for what I've paid in Homeowner's Insurance all the years.
    Last edited by dryfly; 09-19-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for CoachNet.
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I'm the odd ball (for a change ) We got stuck in the snow in the Medicine Bow NF in July (without the trailer) out of cell phone range. We had to depend on the forest service/area police to drive off the mountain and find us a tow truck to pull us out. Called Coachnet first thing in the morning and was assured that we would be covered due to the extenuating circumstance and to file the claim with the copy of reciept. Sent the proper paper work and they denied us the claim because we did not go through their phone number to get towing service..was not a happy camper and will never use Coachnet again.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I can't imagine what it would cost to tow both a trailer and a truck 100 miles or more if you were out in the sticks, and I'm not sure how negotiable service is going to be if they know you need them right now!
    I just spoke with a fellow who had a breakdown and had is 5th wheel connected to his truck towed 1-block and had to pay $400.00. So like you I cannot fathom the cost for a much longer tow.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    I just spoke with a fellow who had a breakdown and had is 5th wheel connected to his truck towed 1-block and had to pay $400.00. So like you I cannot fathom the cost for a much longer tow.
    Unless you cough up the big $$ for a premium tow policy they'll only tow you to the nearest repair facility that can and will work on the vehicle regardless if it is the trailer or truck.

We have the cheaper good sams towing and they would not tow our car 5 miles to our home or even closer to the repair shop my son is at because they were closed for the holiday weekend and could not say yes we'll work on it. Only to who they call.

We called the tow company my sons shop uses and they towed us home in less time than it took for good sams to call us back...in 95* weather it was worth payng up front for it. Another big dissapointment with good sams is the phone service was all over seas and difficult to understand.

When it is time to renew we'll either go with what FMCA offers or Progressive offers towing on our policy.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast