Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retired AirLine Tech. A lot of parts on Commercial Airlines are marked with a painted line between nut and surface just for that reason. I do that even on my private vehicles as well as my trailer. It doesn't have to be large just enough for you to see it.
    2014 Solitude 379FL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Another reason to use a TPMS - lost tires while driving?
    Would your TPMS still show good pressure until the tire was out of range somewhere along the road? lol
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By any chance did you use lube on the studs? That is a sure way to snap them off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Would your TPMS still show good pressure until the tire was out of range somewhere along the road? lol
    I have not lost a tire but my TPMS instantly alerts to change in pressure. Now you have me wanting to test it by removing my tire and rolling it away until it alerts.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good impetus to purchase some type of tire pressure monitoring system. Lower pressures, blowouts and even a complete loss of wheel will trigger an alarm. About $130 on Amazon will get the job done. Cheap by comparison to potential damage possible by this event.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    I have not lost a tire but my TPMS instantly alerts to change in pressure. Now you have me wanting to test it by removing my tire and rolling it away until it alerts.
    Just leave the TPMS monitor on and drive away from the trailer and see how long it takes for the monitor to recognize there are no tires back there. I think you will be amazed at the time required.
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ryder View Post
    So is 100 ft/lbs the correct torque for all RV lugs, or is determined by tire size. Where is that information available?
    Your owner manual will show you exactly how to conduct the torquing procedure for YOUR rig, as well as the exact amount of torque, based upon wheel size. My 2017 Imagine 2950RL manual shows it under the title: “Wheel Nut Torque”

My manual explained the somewhat tedious (and physically demanding) Torque Sequence, which should be accomplished using a star pattern in three separate stages (e.g., 1st Stage: Torque to 20-25; 2nd Stage: Torque to 50-60; 3rd Stage: Torque to 90-120).

I knew nothing about this issue (or torque wrenches) as a rookie when we bought our trailer back in the fall of 2016. I’m thankful that I read about it back then, and learned how important it was to check it regularly from the start. So far, so good. 😎
    Last edited by Mobile Mesa; 09-30-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	876CC1BD-5D8A-481D-8215-8BBF1B818542.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	29889 Does this look familiar? Happened in nowhere Wyoming. Had all maintenance, but it happened anyway. Never did find the new tire, wheel, etc. Now have TPMS and hope this would alert me if this ever happens again. Also wonder if it would have helped me find the wheel and tire that flew in to the forest never to be seen again.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ryder View Post
    So is 100 ft/lbs the correct torque for all RV lugs, or is determined by tire size. Where is that information available?
    No. It's not. The recommended torque depends on wheel type (steel vs aluminum), wheel diameter, stud size, number of studs, and tire size. You will find specific information for your rig in the manual that comes with the unit. There are general guidelines in well-published charts if you're a second owner.

Thanks to the OP for posting this cautionary tale! An adequate torque wrench is not expensive. Old-fashioned beam style can still be had for $20-25 if a $50 clicker style from a big box is too rich. It doesn't have to be a $200+ Snap-on in the case of lug nuts.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast