Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearings.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    They are open tapered bearings requiring cleaning and repacking. Replace the inner seals each time (I replace the outer seals each time, too). DO NOT use the Zerk fitting on the hub - that's there for marine applications and RV bearings should be cleaned, inspected and repacked at regular intervals (usually 10k miles or annually).

Rob
    Can not agree more with this! I purchased a gently used 29RS this year where someone used chassis grease at the zerk fitting which resulted in the rear seal failing on one. Grease ended up all over the brake shoes and hubs. Ended up replacing all of the backing plates with new brake kit, rear seals, and repacking the bearings; which looked brand new. Photos are after I cleaned them up. When I pulled the cap off, grease was oozing out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5150[1].jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	36352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5151[1].jpg 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	36353
    Last edited by stan3718; 08-27-2021 at 11:39 AM.
    2004 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
    2018 Reflection 29RS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stan3718 View Post
    Can not agree more with this! I purchased a gently used 29RS this year where someone used chassis grease at the zerk fitting which resulted in the rear seal failing on one. Grease ended up all over the brake shoes and hubs. Ended up replacing all of the backing plates, rear seals, and repacking the bearings; which looked brand new. Photos are after I cleaned them up. When I pulled the cap off, grease was oozing out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5150[1].jpg 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	36352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5151[1].jpg 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	36353
    You need to replace the shoes as well. You cannot get the grease out of the lining, The brakes will never be right once they have been "greased"
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    You need to replace the shoes as well. You cannot get the grease out of the lining, The brakes will never be right once they have been "greased"
    Should have been more clear. The backer plates where complete brake kit that I replaced. Replaced the four. My point with my post is an agreeance with post not using the zerk as a grease point.
    Last edited by stan3718; 08-27-2021 at 11:40 AM.
    2004 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
    2018 Reflection 29RS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    They are open tapered bearings requiring cleaning and repacking. Replace the inner seals each time (I replace the outer seals each time, too). DO NOT use the Zerk fitting on the hub - that's there for marine applications and RV bearings should be cleaned, inspected and repacked at regular intervals (usually 10k miles or annually).

Rob
    Rob,
    What is the detail/concern with using the zerk fitting? Is there a fear of pumping in debris or blowing out the inner seal? do you have a grease type recommendation? Will need to repack based on the mileage being discussed before our next trip.

Dutchman2

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people feel the zerk fitting on the axle is likely to cause problems with grease being forced past the seals. That won't happen unless the seals, or the seal area, is compromised, or you're using a powered grease gun. But OTOH, they aren't really needed as you don't need to add grease if you have a properly greased wheel bearing to begin with. Greased properly, and preload, a misnomer if ever there was one in this instance, is set correctly, wheel bearing should be good for several years before needing attention.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman2 View Post
    Rob,
    What is the detail/concern with using the zerk fitting? Is there a fear of pumping in debris or blowing out the inner seal? do you have a grease type recommendation? Will need to repack based on the mileage being discussed before our next trip.

Dutchman2
    This topic can be a bit controversial. I have personally seen greased brakes from the EZ-Lube fittings being used. As @Hoopy Frood stated, though, if the bearings were greased properly in the first place, there is no need to add grease. Using the Zerk fittings is not a substitute for cleaning and inspecting the bearings at regular intervals. Any good high-temp wheel bearing grease is fine - many like the Lucas Oil 10005 Red 'N' Tacky grease.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Many people feel the zerk fitting on the axle is likely to cause problems with grease being forced past the seals. That won't happen unless the seals, or the seal area, is compromised, or you're using a powered grease gun. But OTOH, they aren't really needed as you don't need to add grease if you have a properly greased wheel bearing to begin with. Greased properly, and preload, a misnomer if ever there was one in this instance, is set correctly, wheel bearing should be good for several years before needing attention.
    I think a lot of people just giver a few pumps without spinning the wheel at the same time as per instructions - causing the seal to pop.
    But I agree with you completely. Properly greased and setup wheels do not need to be re-greased in between maintenance intervals. The interval being up to the owner. Dexter recommends yearly. I'm a every other year guy.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the cheap seals and grease these things come from the factory with is a big player. After seeing first hand the reduction in hub temps from OEM bearings and grease to timken bearings with Lucas red and tacky replacing the bearings will be one of the first things I do on my next trailer simply for peace of mind.

I think the issue people have with the ez-lube is they don't follow the instructions, and pack way too much grease in them. It has to go somewhere. A few squirts as you spin the wheel is all they need.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, you can't really overgrease the EZ-Lube system, grease is pumped through the axle stub and out the opening where the grease zerk is located, so that is where the grease goes. If you use a pressurized grease gun you can have issues, but a regular grease gun shouldn't cause you any issues.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned above; do not use EZ Lube grease fittings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did this on previous camper and grease bypassed rear seal. Grease destroyed brakes and had to replace 2 hubs. Learn from my bad experience.

Another bit of advice; repack wheel bearings when it is warm outside if possible; makes job a whole lot easier and grease move more freely when warm. Learned this from experience also.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 12-18-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast