Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar

I'm sure this is a question that's been asked a million times. I'm not technically knowledgeable about solar and I'm not interested in an expensive, sophisticated system. I have a 2021 Reflection MB31 that has solar pre wiring. I use a single battery. 90% of the time we use the trailer with full hook ups. I installed a battery kill switch because the battery kept going dead in storage after a couple of weeks. I thought a small solar might help keep the battery topped off while in storage and in the rare case of no hook ups, it might help keep a charge on the battery. Any suggestions on what I should install?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    Any suggestions on what I should install?
    Never tried this item, but in my experience ETrailer has always been a good company to work with and would probably let you know if this is what you need if you call or email them. Could be mounted on roof of RV or, depending on where it is stored, just put on ground near the battery.
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Solar-Pa...RoCbLkQAvD_BwE
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, you are right that Etrailer is a great source for information and advice. After thinking more about it, I decided that since we almost never go camping without hook ups or without my generator.....I don't really need a solar system and should save the $$ for the next RV project that comes up.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO, but a 10 watt solar panel will keep your battery topped off while in storage, as for when you're actually using it, and think it might help keep the battery up, not so much. From what I've been reading you'll have to get up into the 25-100 watt range for useful battery charging while you're on the road. With a single 12V battery, you won't last long with no hookups. Depending of course on the weather, and what kind of electricity you plan on using. We have the onboard Onan generator, but we never boondock, so it gets used infrequently. I'm getting a 10 watt cheapie for around $30 to keep my single battery topped up while in storage.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Hoopy Frood is correct. A 10w solar panel will do a great job at keeping your batt top up while in storage but will be pretty much useless while using. I would suggest a suitcase style solar panel. 100w or 200w. 100w are lighter and easier to move in and out of storage when needed and won't break the bank either. The big advantage with suitcase style is you can move it in direct sun light without moving the rig. I'd get both.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may know this, but the Battery Disconnect switch in most trailers does not completely disconnect the batteries. There is still power going to the CO2 detector, the smoke detector, and who knows what else. You can just remove one of the battery cables from the battery, that will really stop all power drains.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to know for certain is to physically check the amp draw. On our 2019 351M, the factory battery disconnect actually does the job. There is no draw with the disconnect switch in the OFF position. Our previous Fuzion had several power draws and could drain a single battery in a couple weeks. I installed an aftermarket battery disconnect and all was well. But you certainly do not want to take for granted that the OEM battery disconnect switch actually does its job.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The only way to know for certain is to physically check the amp draw. On our 2019 351M, the factory battery disconnect actually does the job. There is no draw with the disconnect switch in the OFF position. Our previous Fuzion had several power draws and could drain a single battery in a couple weeks. I installed an aftermarket battery disconnect and all was well. But you certainly do not want to take for granted that the OEM battery disconnect switch actually does its job.
    The reason that all manufacturers do not install "real" battery diconnects on towables is that certain safety features if turned off, and an incident occured, would leave them open to huge liability claims.... If yours was actually installed by GD as you state..... It was a mistake.... They want to idiot proof it so they are not held liable.
    Of course an owner is free to do whatever they want, as they will assume the liability..... And yes, I installed a "real" disconnect.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The items you're referring to are things like the brake that activates when the truck and trailer separate, and the Autolevel system. But those things don't draw any amperage unless they're used, so they are connected but draw nothing. Mine is stone stock and there are others that are the same. I think you're mistaken in your belief.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The items you're referring to are things like the brake that activates when the truck and trailer separate, and the Autolevel system. But those things don't draw any amperage unless they're used, so they are connected but draw nothing. Mine is stone stock and there are others that are the same. I think you're mistaken in your belief.
    One thing I have learned over the years is that corporations are VERY risk averse.

You may not think so..... But I could give countless examples..... And BTW, I hold a position in Risk management in one of the largest corporations in the US.

We will flat out do unbelivable things to avoid the possibility of being held liable for anything.

It is a free country though, and one is free to believe whatever one wants to.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast