User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truck maintenance

Hey, curious what oil do you use in your Ford Super Duty 6.7 diesel engine? I have looked at all options & Ford recommendations but curious abut the best diesel (consensus) oil for towing.
    JP
    2019 Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel
    2020 F-250 SRW Lariat Crew Cab
    Pull Rite 16k Super Slide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tagged as I have a 450 with a 6.7 on order.

I've run Rotella T6 5W-40 in my 7.3 for 20 years. Still uses less than 1/2 quart in 5000 miles between changes.

Bearings looked new when I pulled the pan at 200k (had to change rusted out pan)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
    Hey, curious what oil do you use in your Ford Super Duty 6.7 diesel engine? I have looked at all options & Ford recommendations but curious abut the best diesel (consensus) oil for towing.
    I've had all my oil changes done at the Dealer, Ford has a "Quick Lube" that is as quick and as cheap as any other Quick Lube place. Ford recommends and uses 50/50 blend of synthetic oil.

I only have 25k on the engine, so I am not going to be switching to full synthetic until 80 - 100k. I feel the rings need to be seated before using full synthetic oil and with me using a 50/50 blend I don't think they will seat till around that mileage.

I did perform my first three oil changes early (~ 30% oil life left) to ensure the oil was as clean as I could reasonably keep it. The latest oil change was done with 10% oil life left, this is probably where I will be changing my oil from now on.

By-the-way, I am relying on the computer to monitor my oil change intervals because it takes all towing miles into consideration, a much more reliable method than relying on time or mileage.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rotella T6 5w-40. It's a great oil, and for my uses, it's wide array of certs makes it incredibly versatile. I generally go through 20-30 gallons of it a year (actually, there's a sale on right now, so I just bought another 20 gallons).

It's good for small gas engines (generators, lawn mowers, etc), good for diesel trucks (6.7), good for motorcycles/wet clutch applications. I went from having about 4 different special oils to just T6, and not because I'm lazy, the T6 just ticks all the boxes and has the right specs for basically everything I own/use. It's wonderful if you have a lot of stuff to maintain, I basically only have 2 fluids, T6 and Mobil 424 (hydraulics). I use 424 for the same reason, it's got tons of certs, can use it in all my tractors, log splitter, mower hydro drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is T6 JASO MA certified or just a "known to be OK" oil?

I've run it in my YZ400F in a pinch but usually run 15W-50 as I have a pretty aggressive cam and heavy valve springs. Most of the engine is roller bearings and could probably give zero cares about oil as long as its clean and cool enough.

2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Tagged as I have a 450 with a 6.7 on order.

I've run Rotella T6 5W-40 in my 7.3 for 20 years. Still uses less than 1/2 quart in 5000 miles between changes.

Bearings looked new when I pulled the pan at 200k (had to change rusted out pan)

Rotella T6 is definitely a front runner. Thanks!
    JP

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Motorcraft 15W-40 and change it every 5,000 miles.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Is T6 JASO MA certified or just a "known to be OK" oil?
    It's gone back and forth, it had it, then it dropped it, right now, it appears to be back. I think it comes down to Rotella not wanting to pay for the certification and sometimes not having it. But, like you said, it's a "known OK" oil for wet clutch systems. Which is great because then motorcycles, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes; anything using a shared sump for the clutch and engine oil is OK. That's one that gets some other oils, they put friction mods into the oil and I can cause the clutch to slip. Apparently T6 doesn't, or has a way around it.

Honestly, unless you're going to the very performance edge, I'm pretty sure that T6 is a near universal oil for engines. Building a drag car, I'd look for something else. But tractors, trucks, cars, small engines, bikes.. They all seem to work great and have the right certs for so many different things. It's also reasonably priced, works out usually quite a bit below 20/gallon when I buy in bulk and take advantage of their promos.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...f/t6-5w-40.pdf

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I've had all my oil changes done at the Dealer, Ford has a "Quick Lube" that is as quick and as cheap as any other Quick Lube place. Ford recommends and uses 50/50 blend of synthetic oil.

I only have 25k on the engine, so I am not going to be switching to full synthetic until 80 - 100k. I feel the rings need to be seated before using full synthetic oil and with me using a 50/50 blend I don't think they will seat till around that mileage.

I did perform my first three oil changes early (~ 30% oil life left) to ensure the oil was as clean as I could reasonably keep it. The latest oil change was done with 10% oil life left, this is probably where I will be changing my oil from now on.

By-the-way, I am relying on the computer to monitor my oil change intervals because it takes all towing miles into consideration, a much more reliable method than relying on time or mileage.
    I had my 1st 2 complimentary oil changes done at my dealer. They also use a synthetic blend oil. My oil minder was at 20% remaining oil life when I had it changed. I spoke to the mechanic who suggested following a 5000 mile rule because I tow the 5th wheel probably 40-50% of the time. My next & near oil change will be on me , as well as fuel filters change, so definitely want to use the best oil recommended for my driving habits. Thanks!
    JP

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I use Motorcraft 15W-40 and change it every 5,000 miles.
    This & Motorcraft 10w30 oil are recommended oil per Ford. I've also looked at valvoline premium blue extreme 15w40 diesel oil. Thanks.
    JP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast