User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Threads like this are becoming all to common on this and other forums. At some point we have got to realize that RV dealers are not like automobile dealers. They are not franchises, they are "customers" of Grand Design and other RV manufacturers. To me that means GD has little control over their practices, within reason I'm sure. How many companies are going to slap the hand of their customers?

It seems it all comes down to the buyer making good choices, like Mr. Parker did. I can't imagine anyone buying a product and paying for it without being able to thoroughly inspect it before payment is due, unless there is a good return policy.

Also, the RV industry has clearly showed it's intentions by not allowing customers to place an order and deliver the product at that price. How do you think Walmart would react to placing a multi-million dollar order with a company only having the company to bill them at 4% higher after delivery?

So much has changed in the last two years, and we as consumers of products have agreed to accept it.

Well said dryfly, in complete agreement here.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threads like this are becoming all to common on this and other forums. At some point we have got to realize that RV dealers are not like automobile dealers. They are not franchises, they are "customers" of Grand Design and other RV manufacturers. To me that means GD has little control over their practices, within reason I'm sure. How many companies are going to slap the hand of their customers?

It seems it all comes down to the buyer making good choices, like Mr. Parker did. I can't imagine anyone buying a product and paying for it without being able to thoroughly inspect it before payment is due, unless there is a good return policy.

Also, the RV industry has clearly showed it's intentions by not allowing customers to place an order and deliver the product at that price. How do you think Walmart would react to placing a multi-million dollar order with a company only having the company to bill them at 4% higher after delivery?

So much has changed in the last two years, and we as consumers of products have agreed to accept it.
    First half, totally agree with you. Second half, since I deal with this directly, I do not. Every supply contract contains language for adjustments. Every one. Does not matter if raw material or finished good. Prior to the past two years, we would do our best not to pass on increase or only do so in shared burden for long-time, repeat customers. Now with these adjustments coming quarterly and less and culminating in double digits over the financial year, we simply cannot. We are doing what we can, including offering customers pre-buy without penalty, just commitment, and we buy the additional raws when low or produce at optimum timing and warehouse to offset the rise. That said, and many here cannot relate to manufacturing, let's use a more basic. When you order a brand new vehicle, the price is not held and incentives aren't carried except for select purchase groups but definitely not the general Joe or Jane Public. When that special order comes in, that's when the deal is done. The RV manufacturers have adopted the same business sense. Right now you can still lock in pricing with boutique direct-to-consumer RV builders, but even they are contemplating adjustment clauses in their agreements.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharing my recent experience recognizing every situation and dealer is different. Ordered our Momentum 5th wheel on July 5th with a $3000 deposit. Arrived at the dealer on Dec 9th. They called to schedule paperwork and delivery. I said I need 2-3hrs hours to do my PDI and could they hook it up to power and water and let me know when it is ready. They said it was winterized and I'd have to pay to have it re-winterized when I was done. I asked if they had completed their PDI. They said no - they don't do it until they have a delivery date from the costumer. They agreed to do their PDI the following week, allow me to do mine and then winterize it no charge. The discussion was never combative, but I was firm. In hindsight, I should have arranged this when placing the order so we'd all be on the same page.
    I spent my 3hrs inspecting and gave them a list of a half dozen issues. They got most of them corrected on the spot. The biggest was one slide being crooked and did not fully seal when closed. Service manager said it may take a few days to work it in - they had it done the next day. I went down as soon as it was ready, checked everything on the list was complete, wrote a check and brought it home.

I'm glad they cooperated with me doing my PDI. I feel they may have less urgency in addressing issues after the paperwork was done. Again, if I had to do it over, I'd make clear my expectations at the beginning. Overall it was a good experience.
    Good luck.
    CR

Edit - BTW, the agreed price at the time of the order was honored.
    Last edited by CanyonRider; 12-30-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    2020 Ram 3500 Cummins - SRW, Reg cab, Longbed
    2022 Momentum 351M (ordered)
    2020 Polaris RZR900 Trail - Fox Edition

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
    Again, if I had to do it over, I'd make clear my expectations at the beginning. Overall it was a good experience.
    Good luck.
    CR

Edit - BTW, the agreed price at the time of the order was honored.
    Similar - if there are lessons to be learned, set your expectations up front and don't assume anything. Understand fully the dealership process before, during, after coach arrives.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    I drove over 200 miles to buy from NorthGate in Georgia, because I talked to GD about not going to my local dealer because of some of the same issues you talked about! Grand Design told me NorthGate was one of their best dealers! So, If you are on this forum and are close to Northgate, it would be well worth your time to drive a reasonable distance to buy from them! The were great to deal with! I have read this at least a dozen times on this site, everyone seems to have the same opinion about Northgate!
    +1 for Northgate! We drove 1300 miles, one way, to pick up our 320MKS we ordered through them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    First half, totally agree with you. Second half, since I deal with this directly, I do not. Every supply contract contains language for adjustments. Every one. Does not matter if raw material or finished good. Prior to the past two years, we would do our best not to pass on increase or only do so in shared burden for long-time, repeat customers. Now with these adjustments coming quarterly and less and culminating in double digits over the financial year, we simply cannot. We are doing what we can, including offering customers pre-buy without penalty, just commitment, and we buy the additional raws when low or produce at optimum timing and warehouse to offset the rise. That said, and many here cannot relate to manufacturing, let's use a more basic. When you order a brand new vehicle, the price is not held and incentives aren't carried except for select purchase groups but definitely not the general Joe or Jane Public. When that special order comes in, that's when the deal is done. The RV manufacturers have adopted the same business sense. Right now you can still lock in pricing with boutique direct-to-consumer RV builders, but even they are contemplating adjustment clauses in their agreements.
    I can certainly understand the price variability at the level you are speaking about, and based on your past posts, I am assuming you are selling to other manufacturers that use your product, not end users. Now maybe that has no bearing on pricing, but I have just never seen this at the consumer level until now.

Regarding vehicles, I've ordered almost all of my vehicles through the years. I have always negotiated the best deal up front, and the order was placed and delivered on that amount. Maybe it's a regional thing among dealers?? I have never heard of it before and I can't imagine committing to a special order vehicle not knowing what price I'm going to pay. I do agree that the only incentives applied are those in effect at the time of final payment.

And by the way, I don't mean to be criticizing anyone who wants a new trailer at this point. We all know a new trailer is a lot of fun.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And by the way, I don't mean to be criticizing anyone who wants a new trailer at this point. We all know a new trailer is a lot of fun.
    All valuable input leading to a yea or nay decision. Hopefully helpful discussion for others. My pros/cons list below. FYI, we went to Plemmons twice while visiting daughter in NC (no stock and didn't seem to want to order) and called Ringgold twice with never a call back. I'll attach the build list below:

Pros:
    Dealer 20 minutes from home
    Have purchased from dealer in the past and with one PDI miss (furnace functional but not tested), everything worked
    310GK-R is at dealers, we were in it, has the options we ordered
    Exercised slide outs and some 12v items, found a minor finish issue in bathroom mirror frame and improperly installed propane door frame - inside was nearly dust free from factory, no visible imperfections on exterior, no water inside despite heavy rain (torrential), ice, and snow
    Finance rates are low
    Dealer held pre-Sep order price with 23% off MSRP
    Dealer will hold over winter until we can get it into our driveway
    No guarantee that another unit ordered from a different dealer would have a better build quality
    Walk through of all systems with owner conducted before delivery
    Not technically challenged - do my own repairs on cars, houses

Cons:
    Independent PDI and/or dealer PDI after purchase
    Dealer has spotty repair records from friends who have purchased there some happy some not - GD says they are competent
    Price increases already in place for another order - order price no longer guaranteed (be interested in current pricing)
    Fed has indicated increase in rates - unknown impact on RV financing
    More supply chain issues? Who knows
    Propane, water, sewer, electric not yet tested except by GD
    Time frame to repair any critical issues observed by dealer or myself prior to delivery (but after purchase) and this is my biggest concern

Still negotiating on PDI subsequent to financing through dealership.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solitude.pdf 
Views:	19 
Size:	393.3 KB 
ID:	38320
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general manager at the dealer we bought from was a butt head low life scum bag those are the good things I can say! Fortunately GD has taken care of every issue. PDI and my list to inspect was ignored laughed and at; after 3 days of getting the run around I was told take it or leave it. If we were in the position to leave it we would have!!! Hint this dealer was the balloon payment scammers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what the salesman is telling me - no prep until I pay in full. They won't schedule a walk through until after they do their PDI which is after I pay them.
    Oh boy, reading thru this brought back some sour taste memories. . . . I too purchased from Campers Inn in Merrimack and the same process applied to us which really jerked my chain! We ordered in December of 2019 and the unit delivered in late May 2020 (delayed in part due to the factory covid shutdown). We went up there fully expecting to pick up the unit but then were told we need to sign all the paperwork first, then PDI. Man I had a tough time with this for all the reasons noted above, but we had our first trip coming up and I felt my hands were tied.

So after we signed all the paperwork and wrote a big check, THEN they told us it'll be about 3 weeks for a PDI because no service people were available. To make matters worse, contrary to one comment above, we were told we now own the unit as it sat on the lot for those 3 weeks. Means we're liable for any insurance claim (if a tree fell on it, for example) AND the clock for the temporary registration plate started ticking. I couldn't sleep for those 3 weeks knowing I paid for a trailer prior to PDI. I'm actually kind of embarrased to even share this because of sooooo many folks here advising against doing this.

Although stressful, there's a happy ending. . . . Campers Inn did deliver the unit for the price that we agreed to when the order was placed. And after two seasons of lots of use, everything is working as it should (even the fridge!). We've had no reason to take it back to the dealer. We're very happy with this trailer!

Perhaps I got lucky. I wish you good luck too!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Oh boy, reading thru this brought back some sour taste memories. . . . I too purchased from Campers Inn in Merrimack and the same process applied to us which really jerked my chain!
    We've had no reason to take it back to the dealer. We're very happy with this trailer!

Perhaps I got lucky. I wish you good luck too!
    Thank you for sharing and I can honestly say I feel your pain and am hoping for a similar outcome. The Boston RV show hits mid January - which is when we were told we could get in for a PDI (and that was pre-Christmas so no idea if that time frame is still good). Meanwhile, the dealership pretty well shut down last week and I've heard nothing. Have a signed P&S with a fixed price and like you, have trips planned.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast