User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don't think it's the materials that much, but the overwhelming amount of opinions on forums about the dangers of not doing an annual repack. I would imagine most RVer's not exposed to that amount of information(?) don't pay much, if any, attention to their running gear and suffer few ill effects. And I absolutely agree that many problems are caused by poorly done wheel bearing jobs, rather than the lack of wheel bearing service.

But my opinions are based on my experiences: 15+ years with the absolute minimum of wheel/brake maintenance, and no resultant wheel/brake failures. So I'm basing my opinion almost completely on personal experience.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
    Attachment 39590
    I will chime in here as well. I remove/replace my bearings on the Dexter 12mo/12kmi schedule for many years.

On the last change, I was surprised to find one outer bearing with pitted rollers. I did a bit of investigating, this particular bearing came from a local trailer shop and had different markings from the others I had purchased from Etrailer. Of all the years I have been doing this I have never seen one worn this bad in only 12mo/12kmi.

Underscores the point of annual inspections are a must! You guys that have had bearing failures on the road know that this was a problem waiting to happen. My guess it would have been in the next 5k mi it would have failed.
    As a bit of a newbie, I have a question about how often to have the bearings inspected. I will probably be taking two trips in my home region annually with a total of 24 hours of road time or less.
    Imagine XLS 21 BHE since June 2020
    Toyota Tundra quad cab 2004

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is strictly my opinion. I feel that if you've checked, and repacked if necessary, your wheel bearings/brakes when you first got your trailer, they you're good for several years, especially if you don't travel that much. Like I said, it's JMO, and how I operate.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Varmint

To me personally, this is kind of a situation that the brakes and bearings are good for a long time...........until they are not. Over the years when I did my annual inspection, or every other year when I take the bearings out and clean/re-grease them, I never found an issue. They could have gone much longer without maintenance.

But, then there are the other times. Look at the OP of this thread. Annual inspection revealed a damaged bearing that probably would have caused an on the road failure if left unattended.

Last month during a routine inspection, I found a brake assembly had become defective, ground off the brake shoes, and damaged the brake drum. Would not have been detected without a periodic check.

I have a friend that periodically squirts grease in his Easy Lube fittings and calls it a day. I don't think he has checked his brakes since he has owned the trailer. He has never had a problem.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    @Varmint

To me personally, this is kind of a situation that the brakes and bearings are good for a long time...........until they are not. Over the years when I did my annual inspection, or every other year when I take the bearings out and clean/re-grease them, I never found an issue. They could have gone much longer without maintenance.

But, then there are the other times. Look at the OP of this thread. Annual inspection revealed a damaged bearing that probably would have caused an on the road failure if left unattended.

Last month during a routine inspection, I found a brake assembly had become defective, ground off the brake shoes, and damaged the brake drum. Would not have been detected without a periodic check.

I have a friend that periodically squirts grease in his Easy Lube fittings and calls it a day. I don't think he has checked his brakes since he has owned the trailer. He has never had a problem.
    I appreciate all the feedback. Where can I learn how to inspect the brakes and bearings? I see that these inspections are important, but I have no idea what I'm looking at, or how to tell if something is damaged/wrong.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback. Where can I learn how to inspect the brakes and bearings? I see that these inspections are important, but I have no idea what I'm looking at, or how to tell if something is damaged/wrong.
    This is what a bad drum brake looks like on the first pic. The brake material is completely gone off the back side of the crescent moon called the shoe.

Now compare that pic with the second one, this is a new brake assembly. Notice the brake material attached to the shoes and how thick it is new @ 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch thick. With miles and miles and use of the brakes the brake material will slowly get thinner. Replace the brakes when the material is super thin @ less than 1/8 inch.

These are self adjusting brakes, from a Solitude notice the cable going diagonally across the brake assembly. On an Imagine they will look the same all be it a little smaller.

There are several U tubes on inspecting and greasing the bearings, search for RV bearing inspection and repacking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2555.jpg   IMG_2565.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-01-2022 at 02:54 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
    Check this out:

https://www.lancecamper.com/docs/man...xter-axles.pdf

I think Dexter has several good informative articles available on their website.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all a difficult job. Just a little time consuming, and messy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123