User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading and researching RV propane systems since I had leaks and to be honest some of it is confusing. Even reading manufacturers detailed descriptions of like pigtails is somewhat confusing because of the wording they use. I was just reading the following,
    http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/04/not-...gtail.html?m=1

I was also reading an old 2015 thread here on the forum when owners were having problems with reduced flow or blocked flow.

As for my missing check valve, all I really know is that when I disconnected the drivers tank with the pass tank turned on, I would get a flow out of the drivers pigtail, not like full hissing flow, but enough I could smell it and my sniffer would alarm.

Kind of makes you scratch your head and say hummmm,,,, some simple system can be made so hard to keep sealed with no leaks.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tractor Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I always carry my portable scale with me so I know if they've filled the tank. Many of the filling spots around here have tried to move to only filling a 20 lb. tank with 15 lbs. of propane. Kind of like the Blue Rhino scam. I take my scale and call them out on it, since they charge by the fill, not by the gallon.
    This is the exact reason I started filling up at Tractor Supply Company. They charge by the gallon vs fill or pound. Also slightly cheaper to buy by the gallon.
    Phillip
    2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7L PS SRW SB CC 4x4 Tremor, 35k inverter, 60gal S&B tank.
    2019 312 BHTS, MORyde CRE300, five leaf 6k leafsprings , MORyde heavy duty shackles.
    Non Destructive Examiner- Oilfield Trash

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a recall from GD for the Fairview propane regulator. The only way I found out about it was the RV repairmen fixing the refrigerator wiring (which was almost burnt through in two places). Go on line to GD recalls and see if yours qualifies.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one place to fill tanks within 20 miles...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I think I have found why our main 2 stage propane regulator started leaking again after replacement a couple years .
    Lets go back a little. Our rig is a 2019. Back in Aug 2020 I replaced our 2 stage regulator (drivers side), it was leaking propane out the top by the selector valve. It is a Fairview regulator.

Just this month I had to replace our single stage regulator (pass side) for the first time because it started leaking propane. I noticed it had an oily residue on the outside of the regulator. After replacing the single stage I used our propane sniffer to check the pig tails of both tanks and also the 2 stage regulator. I found the 2 stage regulator leaking propane again out the top around the selector valve. While replacing the 2 stage yesterday I noticed oil dripping out the bottom output connection, just a few drops. I finished replacing the 2 stage and then used our sniffer and found no propane leaks.

Recap - Our single stage regulator on the passengers side as gone 3 years before leaking. Our dual stage regulator went 2 years after 1st replacement before it started leaking again. My conclusion is that we have oil contamination in our propane system, maybe not a lot but enough. The oil contamination is causing the diaphragms in the regulators to go out and then they start leaking propane. My conclusion is based on reading articles about RV oil contamination in propane systems like this one. https://thecampingnerd.com/what-does...egulator-mean/

I think the main reason for the oil contamination is because several times I've noticed when refilling our propane tanks the tank operators at various places have been filling the tanks until their pump makes a binding noise and only then shut off the pump. They don't fill the tanks by weighing them. So when I have paid for the propane I am paying for 7.3 - 7.5 gallons. 30# propane tanks should hold 7.5 gallons of liquid propane when completely filled.

In other words they are filling the tanks too much. So if completely empty the operators should only be refilling the tanks with @ 7 gallons or there about. From my reading, propane tanks should only be refilled to 80%. This allows enough room in the tank for the liquid gas to turn into a vapor gas before entering into the propane system. Without this space in the tank for vaporization to occur its forcing oil that naturally occurs in propane and settles in the tank, is forced out of the tank and into the propane system.

Am I all wet here people, am I thinking correctly? Is oil contamination causing the regulators to fail prematurely?

Thanks for posting this update. I'll have to watch for signs of oily propane in the future.

Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janiceknight1 View Post
    There is a recall from GD for the Fairview propane regulator. The only way I found out about it was the RV repairmen fixing the refrigerator wiring (which was almost burnt through in two places). Go on line to GD recalls and see if yours qualifies.
    The only propane regulator recall I find on the Grand Design recall page is for Winn-Tec regulators.

NHTSA Recall Number: 21V-393
    Winn-Tec LP regulator

If there is a recall for Fairview regulators would you please post a link to the recall.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at Marshall Excelsior brand. That's what my propane guy recommends. I don't get stuff off the shelf at Camping World, etc.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This link was useful to me related to regulator leak (one comment) and properly filling propane tanks. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/fill...ly-432441.html

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been told that the new valves on the propane tanks wont allow the tanks to be filled more than 80%.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Ive been told that the new valves on the propane tanks wont allow the tanks to be filled more than 80%.
    True, and that is a GOOD thing! Many years ago when you could fill a tank to 100% we filled our tank in Phoenix and then went camping on the north rim At about 9000' elevation the safety valve started venting propane. This why propane tanks should not be filled all the way. That 20% allows room for expansion without poping the overpressure valve
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast