User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Ive been told that the new valves on the propane tanks wont allow the tanks to be filled more than 80%.
    According to one web site after April 2002 propane tanks without OPD valves cannot be refilled so my tanks have the over filling protection device.

I checked TT two year old 30 gallon tanks today and they were at 90% capacity and not specified 80%. I do not know how significant this is as far as safety and this is not a recommendation to reduce propane level if above 80%. This was determined by calculating propane weight and adding to TW (based on WC and TW stamped on the tanks). Then the bleeder valve was opened a little and solid liquid came out (mostly gas should come out) for a good period of time (not the best way to reduce propane level and I am not recommending this method).

I did not see the guy at the Texas national park filling the tanks so do not know how he determined that they were full.

Added later (after post # 33 below): 80% fill on my 30 pound tanks calculates to 30.1 pounds of propane. The tanks were filled to 90% capacity and were holding about 34 pounds of propane.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 04-14-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    The only propane regulator recall I find on the Grand Design recall page is for Winn-Tec regulators.

NHTSA Recall Number: 21V-393
    Winn-Tec LP regulator

If there is a recall for Fairview regulators would you please post a link to the recall.
    You are correct. I had the two types reversed. Sorry to all.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Ive been told that the new valves on the propane tanks wont allow the tanks to be filled more than 80%.
    Your 20 lb and 30 lb tanks are designed to hold 20 and 30 lbs of Propane respectively. These numbers include a 20% allowance for expansion inside the tank.

Unfortunately, the tank exchange companies have created a myth that the 20% expansion is based on the tank's 20 lb capacity, consequently, when you buy a 20 lb exchange tank, you are receiving 20% less Propane than the tank is designed for (a full 20 lbs of Propane). The next time you pass by one of the Tank Exchange places, look at the label, you are only getting 15 lbs of Propane, not the 20 lbs the tank is designed and certified to hold.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234