User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you have trailer tires balanced, make sure the tire place has the proper equipment to balance lug centric wheels, since a lot, if not most, of trailer tires are lug centric, and not hub centric.
    X2 JUst letting them balance the standard way (hub centric) is a waste of money, in fact it could easily make for the out of balance worse!! Ask for it, then watch them to make sure they use a lug plate. On more than one occasion I have caught them not doing it when I had requested it... Once they admitted that they did not have one! They managed to get one though when I told them, "no lug plate, no sale".
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodyears

Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    When we swapped out ours, we went with Discount Tire. They had the best price and will rotate and balance periodically for free even on trailer tires.
    I also recommend Discount Tire. I know timing is everything....but I just happened to catch a sale on Goodyears at Discount Tire last month which included free mounting and balance. I bought a set and had them put on my Reflection. Additionally, Discount Tire will fix your flats for free!! Another good reason to use them, and they have stores nationwide so you can normally find one near you regardless of where you travel.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you have trailer tires balanced, make sure the tire place has the proper equipment to balance lug centric wheels, since a lot, if not most, of trailer tires are lug centric, and not hub centric.
    I would think that makes a difference with stamped steel wheels. None with machined alloy. Although asking for lug centric with alloy wheels sure can't hurt.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both trailers I've had with aluminum wheels were both lug centric, and it makes a huge difference. The place I had tires mounted tried to balance with hub centric balancing, but when it was checked with lug centric, it was ounces out of balance. And it makes no difference with the wheel type, but the brake hub is what determines whether it's hub centric or lug centric.

You need to be sure the place can balance a trailer wheel, if you're going to have the wheels balanced. Not having them balanced properly is worse than not having them balanced at all.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I would think that makes a difference with stamped steel wheels. None with machined alloy. Although asking for lug centric with alloy wheels sure can't hurt.
    I quit arguing with tire stores about balancing trailer tires. I installed centramatic wheel balancers, they seem to be doing the job.
    https://www.centramatic.com
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone please explain the difference to me between lugcentric and hubcentric balancing. Two terms I have never heard before. Thank you.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hub centric, which most powered vehicles use, means the wheel is centered on the axle by the hub flange, the lug nuts are generally flat and simply hold the wheel on the axle.

Lug centric, which is what most trailers use, means the wheel is centered by the lug nuts when you tighten the nuts. They usually have a conical surface. You can see it when you put the wheel on the axle it will not sit snugly on the hub flange, and is free to move some, unlike a hub centric design, which is a close fit to the hub flange.

Pretty basic explanation.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSewell View Post
    Someone please explain the difference to me between lugcentric and hubcentric balancing. Two terms I have never heard before. Thank you.
    What @Hoopy Frood said. Or to put it another way Hubcentric wheels center off of the large center hole in the wheel. Lugcentric center off of the lug nuts.

The reason this is important is most tire shops will just balance a wheel & tire off of the center hole (hubcentric), as this is most common on modern cars and light trucks. For a trailer tire & wheel (which is typically lugcentric), if balanced this way (hubcentric) this can lead to a significantly out of balance wheel & tire when mounted on the trailer. Worse that if the wheel & tire had not been balanced at all.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned something new today! Wow, in all my years with all types of trailers, I don't think I ever had a trailer tire balanced (I could be wrong, probably am). I also didn't know the difference between lugcentric and hubcentric balancing (or tires for that matter).

I think for the next set of trailer tires, I will be getting them lugcentric balanced!

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I learned something new today! Wow, in all my years with all types of trailers, I don't think I ever had a trailer tire balanced (I could be wrong, probably am). I also didn't know the difference between lugcentric and hubcentric balancing (or tires for that matter).

I think for the next set of trailer tires, I will be getting them lugcentric balanced!

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I think you'll be glad you did it. My new Hankook RV tires arrived today at my local Discount tire, and I'll be bringing my wheels / tires into them for mounting and balancing. Although I've had excellent service with Discount Tire, I'll remind them about 4 times that they must be lug centric balanced.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12