Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A lot of people use something like this for the lighter, 2-axle trailers:

https://smile.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid...8-1-spons&th=1

It weights a lot less than something like a bottle jack.

Rob
    I own the device listed and have used it on the highway in an emergency, works just fine. I would however take a piece of say 5/4 material to put under it to give you a little more clearance when changing tire
    James Callahan
    2019 303RLS Reflection
    2018 Chevy High Country 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a bottle jack with an "axle cradle" or "axle saddle" like this one... https://bottlejackbuddy.net/. It securely lifts the axle in two (wide)spots, and I always position it straddling the u-bolt securing the axle to the frame.
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven’t seen anyone mention it, and most people already know but don’t Jack directly on the axel tube as it can bend fairly easy.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This device would serve you just as well in that situation as a jack - and better if you put a piece of 2 x 12 under it.

Rob
    I purchased one similar to that, an Anderson I believe and it would not lift my trailer enough to change a tire! I sent it back! I considered putting a board under it, but it would make it more difficult to get the trailer on!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our advice is get the bottle jack! You can get them with a case. It’s money we’ll spent!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t seen this anywhere ,forgive me if I missed it, what I do if changing a tire or wheel bearings..I run the tire that I’m not servicing or changing up on a 2x6 or 2, this way it transfers some of the weight from the axle that your going to work on to the other axle . Doing this it makes it easier to lift axle with jack that has less weight on it , works for me
    My Trailer is a 2020 Momentum 320G
    Truck 2019 Chev Silverado 3500 LTZ 6.6 box Duramax
    Firestone airbags rear

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I would suggest that you avoid using your truck jack as that thing is inadequate for trailer use.
    Hmmm...I would suggest it's just fine. I've only had one blow out, but it did the job as well as anything out there. As always, just my opinion....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    My Wife just asked if we should purchase a bottle jack for our TT. or is there something better. Bottle jacks tend to be heavy.
    Yes. A HD bottle jack is exactly what you need. I really like the 6k jack, stand combo that others mentioned here. Strength and ease of use, not weight should be your priority. A hydraulic jack is a very effective lifter. Also carrying wood blocks is always a good idea. I always have 2x6, 4x4 , a couple 6x6 and a couple of wide 4x10s. These really help for a base if you need to set your jack up to change a tire or just to level up on uneven ground.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    That is an interesting device. I looked at what the truck has and it is a scissor jack. I hate scissor jacks. The only thing I see that could be an issue with that device is if the breakdown lane is not that wide and the flat is in the gravel/dirt/grass.
    I used one like that with my previous 31' TT. One time I needed a little more height and I used 3 or 4 of my lynx level blocks laid out in a row to sit it on... It gave me an additional 1½" of height which was plenty of room to remove and replace the wheel.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 05-26-2022 at 05:47 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I do not, but what I've heard was one gets flat and that damaged the other side. Makes sense if you have ever seen a tire that is damaged. I suspect most people would not notice an issue until there is a lot of damage.

The closest thing I had was I had a flat, damaged the trailer a bit, installed the spare, drove a few miles further and had another one on the same side. What a day that was. I suspect TPMS would have made the difference, but that was 15 years ago.

The same thing happened to us a month ago, driving north on I75 near Macon. Passenger side rear tire on our 2600RB explodes. I change it and away we go. 10 miles up the road, not even to the next exit, and the passenger side front tire also explodes. Three hours later, roadside service arrives to help. We now have all-new Goodyear Endurance rubber and two spare tires.

To change the tires, I used a heavy duty plastic ramp (one of a pair that I purchased to use for working on cars in my garage). I'd tested it at home, and was confident that it had sufficient lift to get the other tire off the ground. Worked like a charm. I also carry an 8-ton bottle jack and jack stands. Belt and suspenders. Always need a plan B.

Eric
    Eric
    2020 Ram 1500, quad cab, Hemi, 4x4, payload 1860.
    2021 Imagine 2600RB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast