Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable A/C Unit keeps tripping breaker

We recently got a portable A/C Unit because our rooftop A/C stopped blowing cold air. Contacted Grand Design and they have given us some money to put towards a portable A/C in the mean time until we can have it serviced. The portable A/C we got has been working very well for the last week until today it now keeps tripping the GFCI/CONV breaker. We have nothing else turned on that’s plugged into the outlets and I have tried plugging it into a different outlet and it still tripped. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

I should note that we are at a Boondocks Welcome and the owners have a 30amp hookup. It first tripped from their garage that’s connected to the hookup and is now tripping the breaker inside the trailer.

The portable A/C unit is a Delonghi Pingunio and has a Total Input Current of 11.7A. I apologize if this is just my naivety but I am not sure what else to do besides maybe get a smaller portable AC unit?
    Joseph and Haley Stanley and Lucy the Dogs

2018 F150 Sport 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your hot water heater set to gas or electric ? If it set on electric try setting it to gas.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also check the refrigerator and make sure its on propane. Remember any 12 volt draw will also impact the 120v line since its going through the converter. you may want to turn off the converter while running the AC.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Is your hot water heater set to gas or electric ? If it set on electric try setting it to gas.
    I have the water heater turned onto gas

2018 F150 Sport 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgway View Post
    also check the refrigerator and make sure its on propane. Remember any 12 volt draw will also impact the 120v line since its going through the converter. you may want to turn off the converter while running the AC.
    I just checked and it was already set on propane

2018 F150 Sport 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken the portable AC unit out and plugged it into the15 amp plug on the hook up attached to the 30amp plug and it is running just fine. If anyone has any idea I am assuming that means something is wrong with the electrical in the trailer and not the hookup connections.
    Last edited by JJourneys0506; 06-21-2022 at 06:14 PM.

2018 F150 Sport 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try plugging it into a plug that is not on the same breaker as the converter.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old is your rig? You don't mention the year and model. Usually in most rigs there's only one line for 120v receptacles, all on the same GFCI but on some there's 2.
    Do you have a 50a rig plugged into a 30a plug? It could be a weak breaker. Are you sure there's nothing else plugged in? Breakers trip when current (amp) goes over the set threshold. Maybe get one of those plugged in meters to see exactly how much amp that ac is drawing. Something like this Limited-time deal: RioRand Plug Power Meter Energy Digital LCD Electricity Usage Monitor Watt Voltage Amps Meter https://a.co/d/1oelTfm

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    How old is your rig? You don't mention the year and model. Usually in most rigs there's only one line for 120v receptacles, all on the same GFCI but on some there's 2.
    Do you have a 50a rig plugged into a 30a plug? It could be a weak breaker. Are you sure there's nothing else plugged in? Breakers trip when current (amp) goes over the set threshold. Maybe get one of those plugged in meters to see exactly how much amp that ac is drawing. Something like this Limited-time deal: RioRand Plug Power Meter Energy Digital LCD Electricity Usage Monitor Watt Voltage Amps Meter https://a.co/d/1oelTfm

His signature says 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    His signature says 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.

Rob
    Missed that. Tks then it's just 1 line for the 120v receptacles.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast