Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery drain

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery drain

I'm soooooo stinking confused!!!
    I had an issue with battery drain when I had a single Led acid in my 2022 303rls, added a Blue Sea battery switch and it seemed a little better, NOW, added a second (matching) battery, called Blue Sea (GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE) and they made sure I wired the switch to my TWO batteries.
    Let my camper sit in storage between trips, switch BOTH the Blue Sea AND the onboard selector in the passthrough to OFF positions....went to get camper yesterday to go on Grand Lake trip over the 4th and low and behold........batteries dead.
    I hooked up to truck power to raise camper enough to hitch......lol.....ya know how long it takes for camper to raise.....a half inch at a time.....8 inches.....lol.

Ok, still baffled, NOTHING on (that I'm aware of) on the camper while in storage......WHAT THE HECK????

What can I check, what can I do, who can I turn to for answers except my GD family.

Sorry for the rambling
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I had an issue with battery drain when I had a single Led acid in my 2022 303rls, added a Blue Sea battery switch and it seemed a little better, NOW, added a second (matching) battery, called Blue Sea (GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE) and they made sure I wired the switch to my TWO batteries.
    Let my camper sit in storage between trips, switch BOTH the Blue Sea AND the onboard selector in the passthrough to OFF positions....went to get camper yesterday to go on Grand Lake trip over the 4th and low and behold........batteries dead.
    I hooked up to truck power to raise camper enough to hitch......lol.....ya know how long it takes for camper to raise.....a half inch at a time.....8 inches.....lol.

Ok, still baffled, NOTHING on (that I'm aware of) on the camper while in storage......WHAT THE HECK????

What can I check, what can I do, who can I turn to for answers except my GD family.

Sorry for the rambling
    Ray
    Try the following:
    1. Grab a meter.
    2. Check for voltage across the switch, in both the on and off positions. (Make sure the batteries are charged.). It should be zero in the off position.
    3. If no voltage in the off position, check for voltage across the bus bar to ground. It should be zero.

A couple of questions:
    1. You should have the batteries wired in parallel, coach bus bar to battery 1 positive, battery 1 positive to battery 2 positive, battery 1 negative to battery 2 negative, battery 1 negative to coach ground. Please confirm this is the way it is wired.
    2. Where is the cutoff? Between the bus bar and battery 1 on the positive line? Between battery 2 and ground on the negative line? Between the batteries (I hope not)?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 06-30-2022 at 03:48 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Try the following:
    1. Grab a meter.
    2. Check for voltage across the switch, in both the on and off positions. (Make sure the batteries are charged.). It should be zero in the off position.
    3. If no voltage in the off position, check for voltage across the bus bar to ground. It should be zero.

A couple of questions:
    1. You should have the batteries wired in series, coach bus bar to battery 1 positive, battery 1 negative to battery 2 positive, battery 2 negative to coach ground. Please confirm this is the way it is wired.
    2. Where is the cutoff? Between the bus bar and battery 1 on the positive line? Between battery 2 and ground on the negative line? Between the batteries (I hope not)?

If he started out with ONE battery, that tells me it was a 12V battery....not a 6V battery. Then he stated that he added another "matching" battery, which also would have been a 12V battery. You are making an assumption that the two batteries were 6V and that simply cannot be the case.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If he started out with ONE battery, that tells me it was a 12V battery....not a 6V battery. Then he stated that he added another "matching" battery, which also would have been a 12V battery. You are making an assumption that the two batteries were 6V and that simply cannot be the case.
    I need to edit that. Parallel! Thanks.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% correct.

QUOTE=xrated;434786]If he started out with ONE battery, that tells me it was a 12V battery....not a 6V battery. Then he stated that he added another "matching" battery, which also would have been a 12V battery. You are making an assumption that the two batteries were 6V and that simply cannot be the case.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post

Sorry for the rambling
    Ray
    Are you 100% sure that there is only ONE lead coming off of the pos. post of the battery? And if there is only one cable/wire coming off of the pos post of the battery, does that ONE lead go directly to the Blue Sea switch.....and no where else?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Try the following:
    1. Grab a meter.

A couple of questions:
    1. You should have the batteries wired in parallel, coach bus bar to battery 1 positive, battery 1 negative to battery 2 positive, battery 2 negative to coach ground. Please confirm this is the way it is wired.

EDIT: fixed wording from serial to parallel, which is what I'm describing.

It's still wrong.....you don't hook two 12V batteries in series like you still have in your correction
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's still wrong.....you don't hook two 12V batteries in series like you still have in your correction
    Holy crud. This is why I shouldn't try to do technical things when I'm sick. ARGH! Thanks, again. Let me correct it.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here ya go...

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXACTLY how I have mine. What am I doing wrong?

UOTE=xrated;434786]If he started out with ONE battery, that tells me it was a 12V battery....not a 6V battery. Then he stated that he added another "matching" battery, which also would have been a 12V battery. You are making an assumption that the two batteries were 6V and that simply cannot be the case.[/QUOTE]

Here ya go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast