Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery drain

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    EXACTLY how I have mine. What am I doing wrong?

UOTE=xrated;434786]If he started out with ONE battery, that tells me it was a 12V battery....not a 6V battery. Then he stated that he added another "matching" battery, which also would have been a 12V battery. You are making an assumption that the two batteries were 6V and that simply cannot be the case.
    [/QUOTE]You probably aren't doing anything wrong. Do you get zero voltage across the switch when the switch is off?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXACTLY how I have mine. What am I doing wrong?
    Question....are your batteries in a battery box, or are they just sitting on the metal decking of the trailer? Are the batteries covered in any kind of dust. Is the insulation on the wire/cable touching anything metal? Is there any sign of battery acid leaking...even slightly?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed everything, wired per BlueSea......everything is new and extra heavy duty wiring
    X....I might disconnect the factory "disconnect" in the passthrough and see if I am getting a drain at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Question....are your batteries in a battery box, or are they just sitting on the metal decking of the trailer? Are the batteries covered in any kind of dust. Is the insulation on the wire/cable touching anything metal? Is there any sign of battery acid leaking...even slightly?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed everything, wired per BlueSea......everything is new and extra heavy duty wiring
    X....I might disconnect the factory "disconnect" in the passthrough and see if I am getting a drain at the bar.
    The easiest way to find a phantom drain is with a clamp on amprobe....which you may or may not have. You simply turn everything 12VDC in the trailer, off....and if there is still current flowing, start disconnecting wires one at a time until you find which one cause the current to stop flowing.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far in distance is the Blue Sea? Inches, right at the batteries?
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Sir, above and to the right of stock batt location.

QUOTE=stroguy;434836]How far in distance is the Blue Sea? Inches, right at the batteries?[/QUOTE]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when you say ‘dead’ what voltage are the pair indicating?

Can you do a full charge on your batteries, check the voltage of the pair combined?

Then, check the voltage of them isolated from each other?

What is the age of the oldest battery, Batt1?

If the original, let’s call it Batt1, is old, semi-bad and/or worn out, it will drain the other battery down to its stable state. If Batt1 has a stable state of say 10.2 volts, it will drag Batt2 down over time to that point. Batt1 has become a load for Batt2.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply stroguy. It's a 2022 camper, Batt1 is maybe 5 months older than Batt2. Dead was indicated by "nothing came on" status, I couldn't get control panel, either inside passthrough or outside panel. I didn't get into removing batt covers and volting out.
    I will do more research after this trip ending on the 6th.

Thanks for your input.
    Happy 4th.
    Ray

QUOTE=stroguy;434845]So when you say ‘dead’ what voltage are the pair indicating?

Can you do a full charge on your batteries, check the voltage of the pair combined?

Then, check the voltage of them isolated from each other?

What is the age of the oldest battery, Batt1?

If the original, let’s call it Batt1, is old, semi-bad and/or worn out, it will drain the other battery down to its stable state. If Batt1 has a stable state of say 10.2 volts, it will drag Batt2 down over time to that point. Batt1 has become a load for Batt2.[/QUOTE]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent information. I assume you have a multimeter for checking vs the control panel. They are cheap and you can actually find them even cheaper at pawn shops. The age of your batteries seems ok but batteries fail just like anything. If Batt1 was allowed to discharge totally before introducing Batt2, it could be damaged. My best recommendation until you can do some detailed checking with a multimeter is keep a charger on the batteries. Our best goal is to keep Batt2 alive.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Randy, yea, I have a Fluke and very versed in using it......lol......I'm pretty "mechanical", doesn't mean I know electrical. I can build you a drag car, stock car, fighter jet, business jet, weld, most anything.....wiring and understand batteries and electrical systems has always been a VERY weak area for me. :-(

Thanks for everything
    Ray

QUOTE=stroguy;434854]Excellent information. I assume you have a multimeter for checking vs the control panel. They are cheap and you can actually find them even cheaper at pawn shops. The age of your batteries seems ok but batteries fail just like anything. If Batt1 was allowed to discharge totally before introducing Batt2, it could be damaged. My best recommendation until you can do some detailed checking with a multimeter is keep a charger on the batteries. Our best goal is to keep Batt2 alive.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast