User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery disconnect in passthrough

I installed a Blue Sea selector in my basement area...has anyone installed one and if so, did you disconnect the stock electric disconnect in the passthrough so you only have the one Blue Sea selector?
    Thanks
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I installed a Blue Sea selector in my basement area...has anyone installed one and if so, did you disconnect the stock electric disconnect in the passthrough so you only have the one Blue Sea selector?
    Thanks
    Ray
    I did. I deleted the stock factory disconnect switch. I left it in it's place to hello the native hike covered up and removed the 2 10' of 8ga cable they used to put it in.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two 8 gauge blacks and on red.....disconnect the red and one black.

QUOTE=MoonShadow_1911;434810]I did. I deleted the stock factory disconnect switch. I left it in it's place to hello the native hike covered up and removed the 2 10' of 8ga cable they used to put it in.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Two 8 gauge blacks and on red.....disconnect the red and one black.

QUOTE=MoonShadow_1911;434810]I did. I deleted the stock factory disconnect switch. I left it in it's place to hello the native hike covered up and removed the 2 10' of 8ga cable they used to put it in.

[/QUOTE]One 10' length of 8ga RED and one 10' length of black, connected to the NEGATIVE bus bar. It was a little jacked up. I first wondered why (and how) they were doing a disconnect via a direct short. After tracing the wires, the red one went from the ground side of the negative bus bar and the black to the battery side.

My Blue Sea is on the positive side, between the batteries and the bus bar, because when on the negative side, things were still completely connected through the hydraulic pump for the disc brakes, which is directly connected to the battery (which is what I want). It was acting as a ground for the coach via the 7 way cable. On a 16ga wire! So, I put the disconnect on the positive side. Then only thing that has power when the disconnect switch is turned to the off position it's the brakes. It's a safety thing.

I really didn't want to rewire the 7 way and the rest of the coach just to put it on the negative cable.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I've posted before, my disconnect on the positive includes the brakes. Avoids someone pulling the break-away switch and burning out the brakes. This could be important for people who store their rigs off-site. This is safe because with the 6-point leveling system, I cannot raise the landing gear to hook up the truck without my disconnect being turned on, which means the brakes are now on. If you don't have electric or hydraulic landing gear, then I would leave the brakes hot before the cut-off switch.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually