User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't I have a Solar Generator

I am really confused about a solar generator. First, I think the name is wrong. Second, isn't that what I have in my RV already? I have a solar panel that charges a battery that powers my RV. Solar generator is a battery that you hook up to a solar panel that then you can use to power your RV.

Why would I spend money on a solar generator when I could add more panels and batteries to my RV? What am I missing here?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am really confused about a solar generator. First, I think the name is wrong. Second, isn't that what I have in my RV already? I have a solar panel that charges a battery that powers my RV. Solar generator is a battery that you hook up to a solar panel that then you can use to power your RV.

Why would I spend money on a solar generator when I could add more panels and batteries to my RV? What am I missing here?
    "Solar generator" really is a misnomer. It's essentially a battery pack with an inverter that can be charged by solar panels (or and AC adapter).

What you have on your coach is a "solar charging system".

Yes, with a solar charging system, you can add capacity; both panels and batteries.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    "Solar generator" really is a misnomer. It's essentially a battery pack with an inverter that can be charged by solar panels (or and AC adapter).

What you have on your coach is a "solar charging system".

Yes, with a solar charging system, you can add capacity; both panels and batteries.
    I won't be getting one. See no reason for it with the RV.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, the name is wrong, but if you think about it slightly different, it's not that far off.

An old school generator is charged with fuel. Once you run out of fuel, you charge it up again with more fuel. A Solar Generator does the same thing, but the charge process if slower.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I agree, the name is wrong, but if you think about it slightly different, it's not that far off.

An old school generator is charged with fuel. Once you run out of fuel, you charge it up again with more fuel. A Solar Generator does the same thing, but the charge process if slower.
    I think that is my issue with it. With a gas generator if you have gas you have power. With a Solar generator if you have sun you may or may not have power depending on the drain. I can see the use if you are in a tent and want to power some lights at night but I cannot see me boondocking and expecting it to run my RV the entire time.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie