User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Solitude 380FL with Goosebox in a Ford SD 6'-9" Bed

I am in the process of buying a 2021 380FL and the previous owner installed a Reese Goosebox in place of the MORryde pin head. I am fine towing without a giant 300lb slider hitch in my bed, but want to check on clearance issues. I know the Solitude has a curved front, so I am not sure how close it will come to my cab.

Has anyone towed a Solitude 5th Wheel with a Ford 1-ton Super Duty SRW 6'-9" bed? If so, are there any problems with cab clearance on tight turns and can you make a 90 degree turn? I am looking at the B&W Gooseneck hitch with the Turnover Ball and will consider their 4" offset ball to move the camper back, if needed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGD380FL View Post
    I am in the process of buying a 2021 380FL and the previous owner installed a Reese Goosebox in place of the MORryde pin head. I am fine towing without a giant 300lb slider hitch in my bed, but want to check on clearance issues. I know the Solitude has a curved front, so I am not sure how close it will come to my cab.

Has anyone towed a Solitude 5th Wheel with a Ford 1-ton Super Duty SRW 6'-9" bed? If so, are there any problems with cab clearance on tight turns and can you make a 90 degree turn? I am looking at the B&W Gooseneck hitch with the Turnover Ball and will consider their 4" offset ball to move the camper back, if needed.
    I tow a 2022 378MBS with a Ram 3500 SRW 6'4" box and use the turnover ball and companion hitch set 5" back from the ball mount. I can't turn 90 degrees but with the rounded cap I have not had any issues getting into any tight spots so far. Might want to confirm your payload and the pin weight of the 380FL. We looked at them and they are very pin heavy compared to our 378 so that might cause you an issue with being overweight. I know I am overweight by about 300 lbs.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have enough capacity on my payload number as I have the Tremor package which includes the High-Capacity Trailer Towing package. I also have extensive modifications to my suspension, including Deaver Add-A-Packs under my 1-ton 5-leaf pack and AirLift 5000 lb Ultimate Airbags with an on-board wireless controller.

I am not planning to add a Companion Hitch, as it is not needed with the Goosebox pin head. All I need is a ball in my bed, and B&W makes one with a 4" offset. This combination saves me 280 lbs of payload which is what the Companion Slider weighs and frees up bed space.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure you can get the B&W offset ball into the Ford hitch ball socket. I thing the B&W is designed for their Turn-Over bed plate and ball.

But you may not have the Ford OEM pucks, so - not sure.

I would say yes, you will have clearance issues between the truck cab and front of the RV. GD doesn't exactly use the rounded corners some other manufacturers use.

But since you have the Goosebox already on the RV I would try things out before you go with the extra heavy slider. And if you do - check the ads here, I have a slider posted there. (can I shamelessly say that in a normal post????)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have enough capacity on my payload number as I have the Tremor package which includes the High-Capacity Trailer Towing package. I also have extensive modifications to my suspension, including Deaver Add-A-Packs under my 1-ton 5-leaf pack and AirLift 5000 lb Ultimate Airbags with an on-board wireless controller.

I am not planning to add a Companion Hitch, as it is not needed with the Goosebox pin head. All I need is a ball in my bed, and B&W makes one with a 4" offset. This combination saves me 280 lbs of payload which is what the Companion Slider weighs and frees up bed space.
    I was using the my companion hitch as a point of reference that I believe you will have enough clearance. I also agree with @traveldawg that the B&W 4" offset ball is made for the square hole of the B&W's system and will not work with the standard gooseneck round Ford mounting.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I was using the my companion hitch as a point of reference that I believe you will have enough clearance. I also agree with @traveldawg that the B&W 4" offset ball is made for the square hole of the B&W's system and will not work with the standard gooseneck round Ford mounting.

Rob
    Yes, I am planning to install the B&W Gooseneck Hitch, so their ball should fit. I did not get the 5th wheel prep package from Ford, so I do not have anything in the bed right now.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am planning to install the B&W Gooseneck Hitch, so their ball should fit. I did not get the 5th wheel prep package from Ford, so I do not have anything in the bed right now.
    ah - good to know. That way you get a bit more flexibility on what you can do.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that you have any problems.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'm not sure you can get the B&W offset ball into the Ford hitch ball socket. I thing the B&W is designed for their Turn-Over bed plate and ball.

But you may not have the Ford OEM pucks, so - not sure.

I would say yes, you will have clearance issues between the truck cab and front of the RV. GD doesn't exactly use the rounded corners some other manufacturers use.

But since you have the Goosebox already on the RV I would try things out before you go with the extra heavy slider. And if you do - check the ads here, I have a slider posted there. (can I shamelessly say that in a normal post????)
    Interesting that you have a slider for sale when your signature lists a Long Bed (LB) truck. Which Slider hitch do you have and why did you switch to the Goosebox?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that you have a slider for sale when your signature lists a Long Bed (LB) truck. Which Slider hitch do you have and why did you switch to the Goosebox?
    I sold my 2018 SB and got a new LB. Reason(s): more weight capacity; didn't need a slider (or the weight); heard good things about the Goosebox; easiest way to get a clean bed without having lift or store a hitch.

I was going to leave my 2018 truck in the signature line but couldn't figure out how to use the strikeout font to show it was history.

The slider was (still is?) an 18K Demco Hijacker for Ford pucks.
    Larry KE4DMG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast