User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/C coming out everywhere

Just purchased a used 2020 Grand Design Reflection 240RL. One of the puck lights were flickering, so I went about replacing it. Strangely when I pulled the light down, quite a lot of cold A/C air came shooting out. To check, I took down a couple more and even a speaker, guess what, all of them have cold air coming out. Correct me is I am wrong but shouldn't the A/C be a closed system? Also I noticed that the insulation didn't fill in the space and could see the wood above the ceiling, I thought this was supposed to be R40. Just would like to know what other think. Thanks.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/C coming out everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by MacGumbo View Post
    Just purchased a used 2020 Grand Design Reflection 240RL. One of the puck lights were flickering, so I went about replacing it. Strangely when I pulled the light down, quite a lot of cold A/C air came shooting out. To check, I took down a couple more and even a speaker, guess what, all of them have cold air coming out. Correct me is I am wrong but shouldn't the A/C be a closed system? Also I noticed that the insulation didn't fill in the space and could see the wood above the ceiling, I thought this was supposed to be R40. Just would like to know what other think. Thanks.
    Hi MacGumbo,

Welcome to the site. So sorry for your troubles. You are correct, It should be a closed system. Sounds like you have a major breach in the ducting. All it is is really thin foam, and they are really not gentle with it, so it is easy to break or get a tear. Sounds like that is what you are dealing with.

One way to maybe identify where it is off to remove the registers and stick a camera inside the ducting to see what it looks like.

Let us know and there may be ways to fix it.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree completely with @Redapple63. Pull the center of the vents out and inspect. I found that there were some significant gaps/tears in the foam ductwork around the vents in our Momentum. Some foil tape solved those issues. I pulled and used the foil tape to seal all of them. Hopefully it's not more than that.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to check mine. Does the "grill" part of the vent just pull out? Not something you want to break.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I need to check mine. Does the "grill" part of the vent just pull out? Not something you want to break.
    The grille snaps into the outer ring. They are pretty tight. I used a small flat screwdriver to pry them out. They are very tough plastic.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have a cabled pinhole camera I will snake down the ducts and hopefully the breach won't be anywhere I can't get to without major demolition.

I'll keep you posted.