User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I sold my 2018 SB and got a new LB. Reason(s): more weight capacity; didn't need a slider (or the weight); heard good things about the Goosebox; easiest way to get a clean bed without having lift or store a hitch.

I was going to leave my 2018 truck in the signature line but couldn't figure out how to use the strikeout font to show it was history.

The slider was (still is?) an 18K Demco Hijacker for Ford pucks.

That is why I traded in my 2018 SB for a 2022 LB for the same reason but turn out that I traded in my 5th wheel for a 2022 motorhome.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    That is why I traded in my 2018 SB for a 2022 LB for the same reason but turn out that I traded in my 5th wheel for a 2022 motorhome.
    That truck is going look big getting 'toad' behind a motorhome.... Time to find a small 'toad'.

What motorhome did you get. We went from a Class A, 36' Phaeton in '18 when we switch (back) to a fifth wheel. Motorhomes are sure luxurious and a neat ride.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 07-31-2022 at 09:34 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    That truck is going look big betting 'toad' behind a motorhome.... Time to find a small 'toad'.

What motorhome did you get. We went from a Class A, 36' Phaeton in '18 when we switch (back) to a fifth wheel. Motorhomes are sure luxurious and a neat ride.

Yes it is very long, we bought a 2022 Jayco Precept 36C which is 38' long and our toad that we have is a 2022 Hyundai Venue a friend of mine gave me a Camco Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly, this is the reason I am using a tow dolly instead of flat towing.

Our plan is to go back out again because the only time we had it out is when we bought it and right after we bought it we went back to the campsite in ID but we didn't have the toad then but now we have it. Yes, this is going to be long, I think I can handle it I drove trucks in the military and I drove the school bus in high school, lol, back in 1970.

I would post up some pics, but I don't want to high jack his thread. This is funny I reply to my own post, lol.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 07-30-2022 at 10:17 PM.
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Yes it is very long, we bought a 2022 Jayco Precept 36C which is 38' long and our toad that we have is a 2022 Hyundai Venue a friend of mine gave me a Camco Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly, this is the reason I am using a tow dolly instead of flat towing.

Our plan is to go back out again because the only time we had it out is when we bought it and right after we bought it we went back to the campsite in ID but we didn't have the toad then but now we have it. Yes, this is going to be long, I think I can handle it I drove trucks in the military and I drove the school bus in high school, lol, back in 1970.

I would post up some pics, but I don't want to high jack his thread.
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short bed

Quote Originally Posted by TxGD380FL View Post
    I am in the process of buying a 2021 380FL and the previous owner installed a Reese Goosebox in place of the MORryde pin head. I am fine towing without a giant 300lb slider hitch in my bed, but want to check on clearance issues. I know the Solitude has a curved front, so I am not sure how close it will come to my cab.

Has anyone towed a Solitude 5th Wheel with a Ford 1-ton Super Duty SRW 6'-9" bed? If so, are there any problems with cab clearance on tight turns and can you make a 90 degree turn? I am looking at the B&W Gooseneck hitch with the Turnover Ball and will consider their 4" offset ball to move the camper back, if needed.
    . I have a 375 Res and pulled for awhile with short bed 2001 , 3/4 ton. I hade regular fifth wheel hitch, and was ok till I had to turn Sharp. It was a sliding hitch so had to release for Sharp turns. That trlr. Is probably to heavy for just 2 tires on the back of your truck. My 375res was, so went to a dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin weight

I have enough capacity on my payload number as I have the Tremor package which includes the High-Capacity Trailer Towing package. I also have extensive modifications to my suspension, including Deaver Add-A-Packs under my 1-ton 5-leaf pack and AirLift 5000 lb Ultimate Airbags with an on-board wireless controller.

I am not planning to add a Companion Hitch, as it is not needed with the Goosebox pin head. All I need is a ball in my bed, and B&W makes one with a 4" offset. This combination saves me 280 lbs of payload which is what the Companion Slider weighs and frees up bed space.
    The weak link isn't the truck, it's the TIRES

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve55 View Post
    The weak link isn't the truck, it's the TIRES
    Thanks for the warning. However, I am not new to towing and my truck has 37x12.50R17LT D 124Q Nitto Ridge Grapplers that are rated at 3525 lbs per tire at 50 psi. When combined they have a higher carrying capacity than the 7000 lb rating of the Dana M275 1-Ton Axle on my SRW truck.

With an empty hitch weight of 3052 lbs, I do not think my TIRES will be an issue.

EDIT: And to clarify, there is a lot of difference between a modern 2021 Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel compared to your short bed 2001 F250.
    Last edited by TxGD380FL; 08-03-2022 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warning. However, I am not new to towing and my truck has 37x12.50R17LT D 124Q Nitto Ridge Grapplers that are rated at 3525 lbs per tire at 50 psi. When combined they have a higher carrying capacity than the 7000 lb rating of the Dana M275 1-Ton Axle on my SRW truck.

With an empty hitch weight of 3052 lbs, I do not think my TIRES will be an issue.
    The problem is the tires. Those big meats that make your truck look tuff.... Actually make it weaker for tow duty.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The problem is the tires. Those big meats that make your truck look tuff.... Actually make it weaker for tow duty.
    Do you distrust tire manufactures and their published ratings or you do not like SRW trucks?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you distrust tire manufactures and their published ratings or you do not like SRW trucks?
    Neither. It is just a fact that 37/12.50s will put more strain on just about everything on the truck. A 2500/3500 SRW makes an excellent platform for such mods vs. doing the same on a 1/2 ton. But once you do that, your truck should be derated for tow duty. The amount of force those big tires impart on the truck simply makes it less capable. Wheel bearings, ball joints,U joints, brakes, transmissions Ring&pinion,motor etc. all will see more stress.

How much weaker will it make your truck? That can be debated, but it will be less capable, and that is just a fact.

I have no problems with doing such mods, and I even own a lifted truck... But I do not tow with it.
    I was in a 4X4 shop one time waiting my turn at the counter. The person in front of me was complaining about his lifted truck needing brakes every 5000 miles. The shop employee told him flat out. "You need to put it back to stock if you want that truck for work".
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-03-2022 at 07:41 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast