Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing

I am new to group and planning on camping thru winter. However when must I make the decision to winterize and decide no more camping

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When there's a possibility of a hard freeze or when I know I'm not going to get it back out before a hard freeze. Just depends on your location, your plans, the weather, your equipment and preparation. And of course the campground/RV park where you are sited. Lots of variables.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    When there's a possibility of a hard freeze or when I know I'm not going to get it back out before a hard freeze. Just depends on your location, your plans, the weather, your equipment and preparation. And of course the campground/RV park where you are sited. Lots of variables.
    We live in eastern Tennessee and camp year around. In cold season I carry antifreeze and rewinterize as necessary as Hoopy Frood said. I do this 4 or 5 times in cold season. For convenience, I’ve installed a plastic cover I can easily remove to access the winterizing hose and valve in the docking panel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar question. I live in SE Pennsylvania and we can get overnight freezing temps for a few hours starting in late October. Normally we're done camping by then, but this year we are planning to take the trailer to FL in mid through late Nov. Should I winterize in October just in case the temps dip below freezing overnight? If they do it will likely only be for an hour or two. I was trying to avoid winterizing, de-winterizing, and re-winterizing when we get home in late November. De-winterizing at our first stop in NC would not work as the site does not have water.

Does this plan sound safe? Leave the trailer de-winterized with empty tanks until we get home from the trip and if any forecast before we leave calls for below freezing temps, just turn on the heater in the trailer overnight?

The trailer is an Imagine 2500 RL. I think the only plumbing exposed to the elements is the winterization valve in the pass through, and the low point drains. Everything else is above the underbelly's insulation.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. My question was similar enough that I thought it would be ok to ask it here.
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    I have a similar question. I live in SE Pennsylvania and we can get overnight freezing temps for a few hours starting in late October. Normally we're done camping by then, but this year we are planning to take the trailer to FL in mid through late Nov. Should I winterize in October just in case the temps dip below freezing overnight? If they do it will likely only be for an hour or two. I was trying to avoid winterizing, de-winterizing, and re-winterizing when we get home in late November. De-winterizing at our first stop in NC would not work as the site does not have water.

Does this plan sound safe? Leave the trailer de-winterized with empty tanks until we get home from the trip and if any forecast before we leave calls for below freezing temps, just turn on the heater in the trailer overnight?

The trailer is an Imagine 2500 RL. I think the only plumbing exposed to the elements is the winterization valve in the pass through, and the low point drains. Everything else is above the underbelly's insulation.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. My question was similar enough that I thought it would be ok to ask it here.
    Winterizing is literally a 10-15 minute job
    I personally would never risk anything
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my thought is if you can guarantee that the freeze will last no more than an hour, and the temps will climb back up to 50° right after that, then you should be fine. But if you can't guarantee those conditions, spend the 10-15 minutes and winterize it. Quicker to winterize it a couple times than replace burst lines due to freezing water.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hampal,
    I usually winterize around Thanksgiving. It doesn’t freeze hard and long enough to bust anything that early in the winter. Just set your heat at 50 degrees.
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I routinely forego winterizing if the freeze is short 1-2 hours. The enclosed portions of the trailer have enough thermal mass to resist short freeze temp periods. But it is playing the odds. If I will not have access to the trailer for an extended period in the winter, I always winterize first.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Well, my thought is if you can guarantee that the freeze will last no more than an hour, and the temps will climb back up to 50° right after that, then you should be fine. But if you can't guarantee those conditions, spend the 10-15 minutes and winterize it. Quicker to winterize it a couple times than replace burst lines due to freezing water.
    Winterizing isn't the problem. It's dewinterizing on the road with no water hookup.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    Winterizing isn't the problem. It's dewinterizing on the road with no water hookup.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    If you have no water hook up than why do you need to dewinterize?
    Really confused
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast