Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing trailer for summer in Florida

I'm storing my trailer for the summer here in Florida. I have a newly topped asphalt pad covered by an RV port that I just had installed. Obviously the RV port had significantly reduced the heat on the trailers. Sharing the port with my sister who owns the Little Guy Max.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220728_103218354_HDR.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	42341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc_1658166576423.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42342

My question is Do I need to put wood or anything under the tires?
    I've covered the tires since there is some sun exposure in the late afternoon (building is east west facing) to keep UV light from drying them out.

After reading a lot of forums, I'm still a bit confused. I've been reading that the point of putting wood is to "prevent flat spots" on the tires??? It seems to me that both the asphalt and the wood are both flat so what would be the point?

I hope to get some input from more knowledgeable folks out there.

Thanks
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the only way to get rid of tire flat spots when storing for long periods, is raising the vehicle off the tires, or occasionaly move it. We've owned a wholly off road jeep for 25 years and that is what we found that works the best when storing it.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    I'm storing my trailer for the summer here in Florida. I have a newly topped asphalt pad covered by an RV port that I just had installed. Obviously the RV port had significantly reduced the heat on the trailers. Sharing the port with my sister who owns the Little Guy Max.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220728_103218354_HDR.jpg 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	42341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc_1658166576423.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42342

My question is Do I need to put wood or anything under the tires?
    I've covered the tires since there is some sun exposure in the late afternoon (building is east west facing) to keep UV light from drying them out.

After reading a lot of forums, I'm still a bit confused. I've been reading that the point of putting wood is to "prevent flat spots" on the tires??? It seems to me that both the asphalt and the wood are both flat so what would be the point?

I hope to get some input from more knowledgeable folks out there.

Thanks
    Wood black top and cement all have water which is not good for the tires. Those large plastic cutting boards would help.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Gary just said... don't use wood. Use something that doesn't wick moisture.

I use a cut up 1/4" plexiglass floor pad meant for putting desk chair on in a carpeted office. I use them under all my vehicles tires in my environmentally controlled garage when we leave for our summer travels.

I also tend to air up my tires to the max and then a bit more to try to avoid flat spots.

And since you are outside, remember to block the tires from sunlight. I'm not a fan of those plastic/fabric covers that fit over tires as they limit the air circulation.

btw... nice building.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods