User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fasteners, also Driving Speed

I'm a little worried about panels being pulled off the roof by winds / driving speeds. So I had a couple questions. First off do solar panels limit your driving speeds. I typically limit myself to 65 mph, have been known to do 70, but more an exception than a rule.

My second question is specific to the type of screws used. The brackets I ordered came with bolts/nuts for the panels, and self tapping screws that could be better suited for metal. What kind of screws did you use, and do you have to be in a roof truss with each bracket?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they make it 600+ miles from Indiana to my lot, I can guarantee you the delivery drivers don't keep it at 65 mph.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I'm a little worried about panels being pulled off the roof by winds / driving speeds. So I had a couple questions. First off do solar panels limit your driving speeds. I typically limit myself to 65 mph, have been known to do 70, but more an exception than a rule.

My second question is specific to the type of screws used. The brackets I ordered came with bolts/nuts for the panels, and self tapping screws that could be better suited for metal. What kind of screws did you use, and do you have to be in a roof truss with each bracket?
    If you got the same screws I did, they are too long. There is wiring in the roof, so having sharp screws penetrating into the atti

c can be an issue.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing has to be done, but I would install the leading edge brackets to trusses at the minimum. Not certain how thick the roof paneling but some seem to be just thick enough so you don't fall through.

You may want to look into the screws that are designed to go into plastic. Not the machine threaded screws but the ones that look like it would attach to wood but seem to have a deeper thread. I use them in my shop and they certainly have a better grip.

https://engineeringproductdesign.com...s_for_plastics