User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine Rear Bumper Hitch Weight Limit CURT 19100 RV Bumper Hitch Imagine 2500RL

All I want to do is haul my bicycles with this hitch and throw the ugly spare in the storage compartment or under the bed. Am I safe doing this? Sorry to be so ignorant but I am totally new to owning a travel trailer. Grand design Imagine 2500RL. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-19100-RV...r+hitch+for+rv

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These bolt-on receivers with a bike rack on them are a disaster waiting to happen. The G forces at the back of the trailer are magnified many times over what the suspension system experiences. The bouncing around of even a couple of bikes on a rack in one of these bolt-on receivers is notorious for breaking the welds and/or fatiguing the bumper metal where the bumper attaches to the frame. You can search this and other RV forums to find MANY threads about this. You would be much better off having a good welder fabricate a receiver for you and weld it to the frame.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I started my research on this subject here first, being a newbie to owning a travel trailer. It seems there is some debate on the subject. After checking more sources, I don't think it is a good idea, unless a real hitch is installed correctly to the frame. Now I will ask if installing a rear hitch to the frame would void the Grand Designs warranty since it is new?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcboals View Post
    Second Chance, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I started my research on this subject here first, being a newbie to owning a travel trailer. It seems there is some debate on the subject. After checking more sources, I don't think it is a good idea, unless a real hitch is installed correctly to the frame. Now I will ask if installing a rear hitch to the frame would void the Grand Designs warranty since it is new?
    Check with Grand Design Customer Service first, but I don't think so. A number of forum members have had receivers fabricated and welded or bolted to the frame and I've not seen any issues reports. Perhaps @TucsonJim knows something about this...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you and me only on this thread. Anyway, I have contacted Grand Design and am waiting for an answer, and will post it here if I can remember???

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the trailer already has a hitch and receiver back there, is there a way to modify it so that it is more robust?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Since the trailer already has a hitch and receiver back there, is there a way to modify it so that it is more robust?
    The Imagine doesn't come with a receiver.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2013 F350 Ultimate Lariat PSD/CC/LB/FX4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    These bolt-on receivers with a bike rack on them are a disaster waiting to happen. The G forces at the back of the trailer are magnified many times over what the suspension system experiences. The bouncing around of even a couple of bikes on a rack in one of these bolt-on receivers is notorious for breaking the welds and/or fatiguing the bumper metal where the bumper attaches to the frame. You can search this and other RV forums to find MANY threads about this. You would be much better off having a good welder fabricate a receiver for you and weld it to the frame.

Rob
    Thanks again for the advice. I had a heavier 5" bumper installed, the 4" inch stock bumper is really thin metal and just slightly to small to hold the Rhino sewer hose. I also had a receiver professionally installed certified welders Hitch Pro and Tow Eugene Oregon. Bought a Yakima Holdup 2 bike rack everything is rock solid. Spare tire going under the bed or in the pickup bed. Also, warranty is not voided but if the work done causes damage that damage is not under warranty. Very professional install welded to the frame. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_160311.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	13147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_160336.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	13148

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rcboals,

That looks like a great solution! Thanks for posting the pics. May I ask about how much that cost you? Many of the 2019 Reflections now come with a hitch, but they are much more expensive than the 2018's and the rear hitch is the primary new feature. I'd like to buy an '18 and add this mod, but need an idea how much it would cost me.

Thanks!

Alan

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBuckners View Post
    rcboals,

That looks like a great solution! Thanks for posting the pics. May I ask about how much that cost you? Many of the 2019 Reflections now come with a hitch, but they are much more expensive than the 2018's and the rear hitch is the primary new feature. I'd like to buy an '18 and add this mod, but need an idea how much it would cost me.

Thanks!

Alan
    Hitch Pro and Tow charged $750.00 for the hitch and labor and installing the bumper. I got the 5" square bumper cut to length from a local Steel vendor Coyote Steel it was $125.00. Plastic end plugs, Ebay they are kind of hard to find in 5". 5" Square Tubing Plastic Plug, 5 Inch End Cap Fits 7-11 Gauge 5"x5" 5x5 Glide cost $30.00 for two, a little high but hard to find. eBay item number: 131535071565. Also, if when you put the caps on and if they are too tight (mine fit perfectly) I was told to shave the MIDDLE fin on the sides of the plug a little. Do not shave the outside or inside fins because it will fit poorly. Anyway mine fit perfectly. This was an expense for sure but it makes the vehicle safe and no flopping around or torking with two bikes and the Yakima Holdup bike rack is superb. At this stage of life and having had my share of mess ups because of trying to save a dollar I now pay the price for quality. Like Kanter Auto slogan "Do It Once, Do It Right"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast