User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well heck - cold weather caught me off guard - did not drain

Wasn't thinking about it as being an issue, and still probably not one to worry, but I wished I had at least drained what water I could from the system yesterday.
    Temperatures in the Texas Hill Country hit freezing, dropping to 26 overnight and won't reach above freezing until mid day to day. usually, on previously travel trailers and this one, I would at least drain what I could. Have never winterized.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will be fine. It would have to get cold for a day or two to have a problem.
    Give it a good checking though.
    We have to winterize, have not seen warm enough temps since November, enjoy Texas

Brian

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    Wasn't thinking about it as being an issue, and still probably not one to worry, but I wished I had at least drained what water I could from the system yesterday.
    Temperatures in the Texas Hill Country hit freezing, dropping to 26 overnight and won't reach above freezing until mid day to day. usually, on previously travel trailers and this one, I would at least drain what I could. Have never winterized.
    Hi fellow Texan, this cold snap did come out of nowhere. I went up to my storage place and just turned on the furnace set to about 58 degrees and flipped on the water heater. Checked on it later in the day and all was comfy inside. The front water panel compartment was downright toasty! I have plenty of propane bottles and that's easier to me than all the winterizing business, I use the trailer year round and don't want to mess with draining antifreeze every time. Run the furnace tonight and tomorrow night and you'll be fine. Supposed to be 80 by Saturday lol. Texas!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're getting ready to pull out of Cisco, TX, where it was 18 degrees last night... water lines to the kitchen island are frozen despite the added insulation I put on them a few years ago, an extra heater in the basement, and running the main furnace all night. The rest of the water system is fine. The forecast low is 20 in Midland tonight where we'll be stopping and, with the high predicted at 34 today, I'm hoping we have water in the kitchen at some point. All this said, we've weathered single-digit temps and the fluids in the tanks - fresh, gray and black - have never been an issue. Even partially full, the tanks are a good-sized mass and take a while to get below freezing. Of course, this assumes that it gets above freezing during the day sometime. Pex is also pretty durable. Despite freezing the lines to the kitchen several times, we've never had a split nor a leak.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go by the trailer after work this afternoon and fire up the furnace. Will have to keep the truck connected to keep batteries charged (we don't have electricity in our current storage unit - waiting list for larger units with electricity). Will drain what I can. We knew the cold was coming (cold for us in the Hill Country) but it kind of snuck up on me, plus my mind was on working on my old pickup project.
    Cisco is in the northern half of our state, about 250 miles from me. I would have expected it to be some colder. I am guessing the Panhandle around Dalhart made it into the single digits.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @f100owner - There is a certain logic in leaving tanks near full to withstand a short term freeze (as SC Rob mentions) This provides a lot more thermal mass to retain heat. Small amounts of water will freeze more easily.
    @Second Chance - Rob, see pst 4 and the related links in this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...291#post200291 I have had good success with an electric "car heater" keeping the underbelly well above freezing down to 14F.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it did get cold last night, and cold today. We are full timers, and the trailer is nice and warm, but my little guard shack is not. And wind chill here is signal digit. working out side, it's COLD.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just realized. I don't think I can access the furnace controls with the slide in on my 2800BH. I can probably feel the buttons, but seeing the display might be challenging..
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    Just realized. I don't think I can access the furnace controls with the slide in on my 2800BH. I can probably feel the buttons, but seeing the display might be challenging..
    I would be careful and check to see where the furnace vents are as well. Its crazy but the furnace vent in the rear of my Solitude is blocked by one of the rear living room slides, I have to leave it extended in storage when running the furnace. Kind of the same deal in the front bedroom so I just leave both slides out to make sure the heat spreads throughout the trailer. Just a precaution...
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I would be careful and check to see where the furnace vents are as well. Its crazy but the furnace vent in the rear of my Solitude is blocked by one of the rear living room slides, I have to leave it extended in storage when running the furnace. Kind of the same deal in the front bedroom so I just leave both slides out to make sure the heat spreads throughout the trailer. Just a precaution...
    Hi Jeff,

This is good to know . . . and entirely different than my Reflection 303. Every cold air return and hot air supply is completely uncovered with slides in. I just assumed that this would be part of "basic design requirements". I can, and often do, run the furnace with slides in.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast