User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 315rlts Tow Vehicle

We are considering purchasing a 315rlts and have concerns if our current TV is adequate. We own a 2017 F250 King Ranch 6.7 diesel SWD short bed. We would like to install a washer and dryer (not combo). Is the tongue weight questionable.
    Chris and Tina
    F450 6.7L Turbo Diesel 4X4 DRW Super Duty Crew Cab King Ranch
    2020 Solitude 310GKR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’ll need to check your payload but I think unfortunately you’ll be way over your “allowable” payload limits. The sticker in the door jamb will list your “allowable” payload capacity. The reason I use quotation marks is that there are plenty of arguments regarding a 250 vs 350 Super Duty diesel that I care not to get involved in. My old 350 diesel had a payload of 3560lbs, most new 250 diesels that I just looked at had a payload of about 2000lbs, the gas 250 I just purchase last night has a payload of 3050lbs. Do a search on payload to better understand what your limits are but the long & short of it is that your pin weight, occupants in the truck, stuff in the bed & anything else that you carry camping effects your payload, it can not be adjusted/improved with airbags, Timbren, etc.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtns Are Calling View Post
    We are considering purchasing a 315rlts and have concerns if our current TV is adequate. We own a 2017 F250 King Ranch 6.7 diesel SWD short bed. We would like to install a washer and dryer (not combo). Is the tongue weight questionable.
    I have a 315RLTS and it has a Splendid washer & dryer installed. Tongue weight has been as high as 1700 lbs--easy to do since there's so much storage forward of the axles. Keeping the camper under it's GVWR is just as much of a challenge! 10,995 is not enough for this camper IMO.

Don't get me wrong--the DW and I really, really like our 315RLTS. If you search on my username here you'll find lots to read. Feel free to ask specific questions, too.

A couple of threads to get you started.

1) How To Determine Your Truck's Trailer Towing Capability https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability I can't stress enough how important it is to not take the word of anyone with a vested interest in your purchase regarding the capability of your tow vehicle. This is a topic where (IMO) you must be able to run the numbers yourself.

2) 315RLTS Washer & Dryer Installation (How I Did It) https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...(How-I-Did-It)

3) 315RLTS: 265lbs Overweight! https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...lbs-Overweight!

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information
    Chris and Tina
    F450 6.7L Turbo Diesel 4X4 DRW Super Duty Crew Cab King Ranch
    2020 Solitude 310GKR

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to say that you would be ok. You might not have a lot of payload left, but you shouldn't go over as long as you don't carry a lot in the bed of the truck. My previous F250 diesel had a 2600# payload.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said, you'll hear a lot of argument about 350 vs 250, dually vs SRW, gas vs diesel, et cetera. While all these discussions are happening, there are an awful lot of 250 pulling 5th wheels heavier than what you have. (and they have done it for years without incident) My cousin's an engineer with GM and she said trucks are designed so the OEM tires are the weak link in the drive train. I don't know about Fords but diesel 2500 GMCs have a heavier rear axle (same rear end as a 3500) than the gas version to handle the torque.
    Last edited by grassmaster47; 07-26-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3/4 tons are as small as I would go, a 1-ton will be more comfortable. When we planned to get a 312BHTS, we knew we would be at the limits of our 2500HD Denali Duramax at the time and were going to upgrade to a 3500 in a few years when the new gen was mature. Instead I replaced the truck and got a 5er haha.
    @howson, you have a heavy tongue weight because you put a power plant in your passthrough :P
    Last edited by cookinwitdiesel; 07-26-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    The 3/4 tons are as small as I would go, a 1-ton will be more comfortable. When we planned to get a 312BHTS, we knew we would be at the limits of our 2500HD Denali Duramax at the time and were going to upgrade to a 3500 in a few years when the new gen was mature. Instead I replaced the truck and got a 5er haha.
    @howson, you have a heavy tongue weight because you put a power plant in your passthrough :P
    The SmartWeigh folks calculated the 1,700 lbs *before* I installed the inverter and batteries! Trust me, there was a mass purge of "stuff" and reconfiguration of items after that weigh. My tongue weight is considerably less now, even with the inverter and batteries. For example, I switched out the 30lb propane bottles for 20lb bottles. I use very little propane due to how, when, and where I camp so it was one quick way to cut some weight. (Not much, but every little bit adds up.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smartweigh.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	21627
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)