User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our Possessed Rain Sensing Exhaust Fan

The kitchen fan just decided to beep then open on its own, then close, then wait a few minutes and open an close again. The fan never came on, just the cover would open and close. Kept doing this. Well we had a floor fan plugged into the outlet at the hutch right next to the exhaust fan buttons. Unplugged the fan and the demon was gone. Guess the floor fan was somehow spiking the electric circuit for the kitchen ceiling exhaust fan.

The things you discover about your rig!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a short somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    The kitchen fan just decided to beep then open on its own, then close, then wait a few minutes and open an close again. The fan never came on, just the cover would open and close. Kept doing this. Well we had a floor fan plugged into the outlet at the hutch right next to the exhaust fan buttons. Unplugged the fan and the demon was gone. Guess the floor fan was somehow spiking the electric circuit for the kitchen ceiling exhaust fan. The things you discover about your rig!
    That's a new one... so many adventures (of a sort) in these Grand Design trailers!

Your trailer's kitchen fan is on its 12-volt system whereas the socket you plugged the floor fan into is on its 120-volt system. There shouldn't be any connection between them so as @zadiemay has suggested you may have an electrical short, or an improperly-induced current between the systems. Bottom line, the wiring isn't right and is possibly dangerous.

If you have good reason to trust in the service department of your - or some other - dealer then consider taking it there for warranty service. However that's frequently a very frustrating experience. If I was in your shoes I'd be calling Grand Design and asking them to recommend and approve use of a good certified mobile technician to check this out before it possibly becomes something serious.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back home from a 2 week trip, now I can TS and figure out whats up. The exhaust fan cover stopped opening and closing once I unplugged the floor fan we were using. Yup I know they run on different voltages.
    i wouldn't trust my local dealer's service department to change a light bulb!
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    White Rock BC formally East caost guy from Halifax
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try some other device plugged into that plug and see what happens. Something other than a motor. A light for instance. A short would blow the breaker.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Just got back home from a 2 week trip, now I can TS and figure out whats up. The exhaust fan cover stopped opening and closing once I unplugged the floor fan we were using. Yup I know they run on different voltages.
    i wouldn't trust my local dealer's service department to change a light bulb!
    My husband suggests it may be electrical "noise" from the fan.

We have an interesting problem, the fireplace will occasionally turn on when we are using the TV remote. It seems to happen when we turn the TV on or off, so he thinks it some kind of noise, also.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always interesting to read about these problems. Real head scratchers for sure. Something else to check on the over head fan is the rain sensor, ours got dirty and the overhead fan was acting weird, cleaned it with alcohol and it started behaving again. Just a thought.

It would be interesting to see a video of the floor fan causing the kitchen overhead fan to come on. Particularly if it can be duplicated.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Got to catch up on a few things around here after we got home, haven't got to it yet. But the strange thing was the cotton-picken kitchen exhaust fan would beep just like when you would push one of the exhaust fan buttons, the lid would open fully, then close but the fan never come on. The floor fan that we were running was plugged into an outlet just to the left of the exhaust fan buttons on the wall. When we unplugged the floor fan the exhaust fan stopped its weird behavior and never did it again the rest of the trip.

I thought some kind of induction weird interference was going on but they are on separate voltage circuits. Haven't plugged the floor fan back in to that outlet but we did use our phone chargers in that outlet and nothing weird happened. I'll get to it after I get everything else at home caught up. Just one of those gremlins I have to chase down. It is close to Halloween after all.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-21-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    It's always interesting to read about these problems. Real head scratchers for sure. Something else to check on the over head fan is the rain sensor, ours got dirty and the overhead fan was acting weird, cleaned it with alcohol and it started behaving again. Just a thought.

It would be interesting to see a video of the floor fan causing the kitchen overhead fan to come on. Particularly if it can be duplicated.
    D2--Mine is also wigging out...sometimes opening, sometimes not...sometimes turning on the fan but not opening. I tried to find the rain sensor with a flash light the other nigh, but wasn't sure what I was looking for/at. Where is the rain sensor?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    D2-- Where is the rain sensor?
    LOL, I can't get you a good picture, it's raining.... Open the vent leave the fan off. Up on the roof, look down into the vent. You will see a little tray about 2-3 Sq inches with silver lined on it, that's the rain sensor. Over the years I have had condensation drip keep it from opening, ants, leaf parts, and of course, rain, keep it from allowing the vent to open. And it isn't always an on-off type thing, sometimes it's just a little whacky. Alcohol wipe or baby wipe or electric contact cleaner wiped across the silver lines seems to do the trick

Or it could be electromagnetic litter affecting the micro-switch board in the switch, those kinds of things are above my pay grade. Dead bugs and leaves in the vent rain sensor I understand.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750