User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    putting some rugs down does make a big difference. especially near all of the vents. collects and holds the heat a little longer.
    Andrew
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2018 Ram 3500 6.7L
    18k Demco Autoslide Hitch.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try skirting your rv. Plus what I do is besides the main heater of the rv I still add a propane heater just to add extra heat inside.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be driving from northern VA to northern WY this winter for the holidays with my folks north of Cody, WY. I expect to have temps ranging from high 20s in the afternoon to negative single digits. We will not be staying in the trailer once we get there (will be winterized and parked with FHU at their place - so electric heat will be on!) but will need to get there and back without freezing and breaking everything. Giving we will be moving frequently while in a non-winterized state, any tips/tricks to follow? I will be traveling with 140# of propane (2x 40s and 2x 30s) and have a heat pump AC, Onan generator, heated water hose, and tank heater pads. What else should I consider? My plan is to cut across the south and then go due north through Denver and on into Wyoming keeping us above freezing as much as possible for the drive.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from the Tetons temps did get down to 0° F. a couple nights the other nights were in the teens. Did have electric 50amp. Ran the tank heaters, fireplace, and another electric heater kept the 5th nice and warm. Ran the furnace occasionally the keep the utility station warm. One air is a heat pump but they are worthless when temp is under 40° F.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    I will be driving from northern VA to northern WY this winter for the holidays with my folks north of Cody, WY. I expect to have temps ranging from high 20s in the afternoon to negative single digits. We will not be staying in the trailer once we get there (will be winterized and parked with FHU at their place - so electric heat will be on!) but will need to get there and back without freezing and breaking everything. Giving we will be moving frequently while in a non-winterized state, any tips/tricks to follow? I will be traveling with 140# of propane (2x 40s and 2x 30s) and have a heat pump AC, Onan generator, heated water hose, and tank heater pads. What else should I consider? My plan is to cut across the south and then go due north through Denver and on into Wyoming keeping us above freezing as much as possible for the drive.
    My suggestion would be to fly and rent a car. I lived north of Denver for many years and the weather is so unpredictable that I would not want to haul my trailer up there in the winter. The weather can be great or you can have snow, ice, wind whiteout, blowing and drifting snow, closed roads, stranded vehicles, lots of wrecks. Also you may want to consider that you will be exposing your trailer to Mag Chloride. Yes it is less corrosive than salt but it still gets into everything and causes pre-mature aging. My 2 cents.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    My suggestion would be to fly and rent a car. I lived north of Denver for many years and the weather is so unpredictable that I would not want to haul my trailer up there in the winter. The weather can be great or you can have snow, ice, wind whiteout, blowing and drifting snow, closed roads, stranded vehicles, lots of wrecks. Also you may want to consider that you will be exposing your trailer to Mag Chloride. Yes it is less corrosive than salt but it still gets into everything and causes pre-mature aging. My 2 cents.
    My wife refuses to fly and stay in hotels, is why we got the trailer haha. We have horrific salt use here anyways, so not like the trailer will be any worse off out there. I will plan to hose everything off thoroughly once we are back home. While parked at their house, I plan to just run the fireplace and a couple little ceramic heaters to keep the trailer and underbelly warm. Reasonable strategy?
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife refuses to fly and stay in hotels, is why we got the trailer haha. We have horrific salt use here anyways, so not like the trailer will be any worse off out there. I will plan to hose everything off thoroughly once we are back home. While parked at their house, I plan to just run the fireplace and a couple little ceramic heaters to keep the trailer and underbelly warm. Reasonable strategy?
    I would just run the furnace. We have a 2020 337 and it was fine the other night when it was 12F. Left the furnace set on 58 and everything including the basement was warm in the morning.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could just winterize once you get close to Denver (or when it starts getting close to freezing). Bring a few gallons of water to flush the toilet.

Depending on different types of heat while traveling could be asking for trouble. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I was definitely going to winterize around the freeze line heading north either way. The heaters are just a precautionary measure since they wont cost me anything anyways once I get there.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Worland, about 90 miles southeast of Cody, we are usually colder than Cody. When will you be here? November is usually mild, but December can start to get cold with our record colds around Christmas. We spent Christmas last year in Bozeman, MT and used our Solitude to stay in. I would fill the water tank with water from a hose and then drain the hose. We could go three to four days until refilling the fresh water tank. I kept the furnace going and had the trailer plugged in to our daughter's house on a 20 amp circuit. We used the fireplace a little in the evening watching TV. I covered the windows with foil bubble wrap and we did OK, but there were some cold spots. I didn't winterize until I got home after Christmas, but on the way home the temps were in the single digits and the cold air started to freeze the holding tanks while driving even with the tank heaters on. They thawed out fairly quickly though once parked. As long as you have enough propane to run the furnace, you will be fine. The outside shower fittings are easy to freeze, I had to cap off mine from not blowing it out good enough and cracked the housing on the entrance side of the trailer.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast