User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine vs. Reflection, how did you decide?

Seeking advice: Hello, I'm new to this forum and planning to become a GD owner very soon. This is the first RV purchase for my husband and I. My family had an RV when I was a child and we've borrowed my parents' RV a few times over the years, so we have a little experience. We plan to do some extended travel across North America and will be RVing full-time for a year (or longer if we love the lifestyle). We believe our RVing style will be a combination of mostly Nat & State parks, Harvest Hosts, and Boondocking with a few private campgrounds from time to time. We are in our late 40's and will be doing some part-time, remote work while traveling.

We've narrowed our search to a Grand Design travel trailer, either the 2020 Imagine 2970RL or the 2020 Reflection 297RSTS. (The floor plans are almost identical.)
    We love the new modern pebble interior of the 2020 Imagine. It's by far my favorite interior of any TT we've seen. The Reflection has a more traditional decor, but we love the stone countertops, solid cabinets, glass shower door, and upgraded features like w/d hookup...and I believe Reflection has slightly better insulation and air conditioning system? (correct me if I'm wrong about that)

Knowing what you know now, would you choose Imagine or Reflection for extended traveling? Do we choose the interior we like best and save a little money, or go with the interior we like less -and spend a little more- to benefit from the higher quality features? We will be towing with a GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel. Thank you for your advice!
    Last edited by Threedogs; 10-23-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Threedogs View Post
    Seeking advice: Hello, I'm new to this forum and planning to become a GD owner very soon. This is the first RV purchase for my husband and I. My family had an RV when I was a child and we've borrowed my parents' RV a few times over the years, so we have a little experience. We plan to do some extended travel across North America and will be RVing full-time for a year (or longer if we love the lifestyle). We believe our RVing style will be a combination of mostly Nat & State parks, Harvest Hosts, and Boondocking with a few private campgrounds from time to time. We are in our late 40's and will be doing some part-time, remote work while traveling.

We've narrowed our search to a Grand Design travel trailer, either the 2020 Imagine 2970RL or the 2020 Reflection 297RSTS. (The floor plans are almost identical.)
    We love the new modern pebble interior of the 2020 Imagine. It's by far my favorite interior of any TT we've seen. The Reflection has a more traditional decor, but we love the stone countertops, solid cabinets, glass shower door, and upgraded features like w/d hookup...and I believe Reflection has slightly better insulation and air conditioning system? (correct me if I'm wrong about that)

Knowing what you know now, would you choose Imagine or Reflection for extended traveling? Do we choose the interior we like best and save a little money, or go with the interior we like less -and spend a little more- to benefit from the higher quality features? We will be towing with a GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel. Thank you for your advice!
    We looked at both the Reflection and the Imagine line. We ended up choosing the Reflection because of some of the features that you have pointed out. We also found that the blinds in the Reflection were of better quality and at the time the Imagine interior was much darker than the Reflection interior. Overall we thought the Reflection had a much more refined look and higher quality finish inside and out. The W/D prep is also nice as some day when I retire we can have our own if we want and not have to use the campground W/D.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Reflection has a lot going for it:

50 Amp service standard (w/ 2nd AC prep)
    30# propane bottles
    30" door
    Larger fridge (12 Cu Ft)
    Rear 2" Hitch Receiver

In my mind, the Reflections are pretty much the pinnacle of what a TT can be. We would be in one right now if my wife was not so fixated on having 1.5 baths lol. My recommendation is to get inside both and see what you like - do not just do all of your shopping online. I will also (irresponsibly?) recommend you go in a 315rlts but it may ruin you That bedroom layout with the slide and front closet is AWESOME!
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've done a lot of online research, as well as in-person research at a RV show and at two Grand Design dealers in our home state (Campers Inn and Northgate RV). So, yes, we've had some hands-on time with each of these models.

We love the 315RLTS and haven't ruled it out completely. (The walk-in closet and bedroom slide are AMAZING!) Based on what I've read and watched on YouTube, my fear is that the "29's" at 34' length overall are already pushing our limits in terms of campsites in National and State Parks. Is having a model number over 30' going to be more limiting in terms of campsites, or am I jumping to conclusions? Also, considering this is our first RV, I'm hesitant to go too big and wish we had something smaller and more manageable. Ohhhh, so many decisions!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recommendation , before you buy anything , is to spend a few hours just hanging out in them without the salesperson. Figure out where you can put your feet up and get most comfortable. Where is all the stuff you plan on taking going to fit. Is there adequate closet / clothes storage? Room for extra towels & linens. Enough room to get around the bed and make it up , without taking skin off your hands( bed slides help a lot ) If y’all are tv watchers , is the placement ok. Lastly look at the cargo capacity of your final choices. On a two week trip we tend to run about 1500 lbs of cargo. This does include a dishwasher & combo washer/dryer and all the normal camping stuff.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    The Reflection has a lot going for it:

50 Amp service standard (w/ 2nd AC prep)
    30# propane bottles
    30" door
    Larger fridge (12 Cu Ft)
    Rear 2" Hitch Receiver

In my mind, the Reflections are pretty much the pinnacle of what a TT can be. We would be in one right now if my wife was not so fixated on having 1.5 baths lol. My recommendation is to get inside both and see what you like - do not just do all of your shopping online. I will also (irresponsibly?) recommend you go in a 315rlts but it may ruin you That bedroom layout with the slide and front closet is AWESOME!
    Yes all of these things too that I forgot about. Would have loved to the the 315RLTS but at the time the Tundra was at it's absolute limits, maybe a bit over with the 297RSTS so that is what we went with. Very happy that we did and don't regret it. Likely if we would have had the RAM 3500 a year ago would have gone 5th wheel but no regrets with the 297.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 315rlts, it is about 37' long, do not let the last 3' scare you. The total rig length will be pushing 70' anyways. It is a MUCH better idea to get the setup you love and not have regrets and a want to trade-in quickly. These things depreciate HARDCORE so get your ideal one as soon as you can - it will save you time and money in the long wrong.

I ate $6k on the trailer and $10k on the truck 8 months after purchasing both new to fix my initial purchase errors. Now I have my 10-year setup
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are correct to fear not getting open spots at national and state parks. A “29” model at 34’ is not intended for a 30’ spot. If you research the parks you truly want to visit and compare the number of of spots for under 30’ verse over, its pretty alarming and that’s why there’s several articles and videos mentioning it. I can’t remember which park it was, maybe Yosemite, but one campground was thirty-six 30’ spots and 6 spots for over that. Some parks also have a total length rule to be able to navigate the parks roads, 47 and 53’ combined length come to mind.

The Imagine 2500 and 2600 come in just under 30’. The 2600 has a bigger slide and would be the biggest floor space under 30’.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threedogs: We are considering the same 3 trailers that you are, as well as the new Imagine 3100RD and the Jayco Eagle 330RLTS. In addition to the Morryde steps, another thing that's curious about the Imagine vs Reflection is the Imagine has a significantly taller front pass through storage. The doors are about the same size, but the storage floor is lower in the Imagine. I would like to be able to put a small fridge in the front storage since these models (less 297) don't have outside kitchens. This is very doable in the Imagines and Eagle, but a no go in the Reflections.

Our current trailer is a hybrid that is 25 ft while towing, but opens up to 30 ft when the bunk ends are lowered. We camp mostly in state and national parks and with this trailer, and we have been able to get on just about any site we want. Since I have been thinking about a 35'+ trailer for more than a year now, I have taken stock of all the sites we have rented this year to see if the larger trailer would fit. I make a point to rent sites without obstructions to the rear and I can tell you that any of the trailers that we are considering would fit on all of the sites that we rented this year. Many of those sites were only rated for up to 30', but the configuration of these longer trailers would allow for me to overhang the rear of the site by a decent amount. Of course this assumes I book said site as a 30 footer and risk the park saying something when I arrive. I will take that risk if I have already previewed the site or have clear pictures that show no obstructions. The reservation folks/park rangers that I've come across seem indifferent about trailer length. As long as it fits they don't care.
    Steve and Barb - Delaware
    2021 Solitude S-class 2930rl, solar package, slide toppers, dual panes
    2019 F250 6.2L 3170 payload sticker Reece Goosebox 20K B&W turnover-ball
    2017 Flagstaff 23IKSS Hybrid, 6700 GVW (sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threedogs.... Does that mean 3 dogs going camping? We chose the 315 because, well, we stopped in campers inn to kill some time stepped into the 315 and decided we were upgrading. We have 2 dogs so the 315 provides a good amount of open floor space for them. We considered other brands to be judicious but kept coming back. I honestly can't recall if imagine has vents in floor or in base of cabinets, but with dogs that was a huge thing for us. No dog hair blowing up when heat kicks on lol. We feel like we have a 5th wheel in a TT. As far as sites, where have you camped and likely to camp? Since you mention campers inn and Northgate makes me think you're in our area (Ellijay) and we never have an issue other than places we like to go being booked up (Doll Mountain). Are there some parks you'll be eliminated from? Yes, but you know that going in. Hope this helps
    2019 REFLECTION 315RLTS
    2018 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD CCSB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast