User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveldawg---thank you, after going back and looking at the diagram of your sub-panel it makes more sense.

You show 30A from Inverter and (4) 15A breakers; correct?

Whats the purpose of the 300 amp fuse and cutoff switch?
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Safety during equipment malfunctions. Isolation while doing maintenance.

3.5.4 fuse Protection in the battery circuit - Samlex Inverter:

A battery is an unlimited source of current. Under short circuit conditions, a battery can supply thousands of Amperes of current. If there is a short circuit along the length of the cables that connects the battery to the inverter, thousands of Amperes of current can flow from the battery to the point of shorting and that section of the cable will become red-hot, the insulation will melt and the cable will ultimately break. This interruption of very high current will generate a hazardous, high temperature, high-energy arc with accompanying high-pressure wave that may cause fire, damage nearby objects and cause injury. To prevent occurrence of hazardous conditions under short circuit conditions, the fuse used in the battery circuit should limit the current (should be "current Limiting type"), blow in a very short time (should be fast blow type) and at the same time, quench the arc in a safe manner. for this purpose, uL class t fuse or equivalent should be used (As per uL Standard 248-15). This special purpose current limiting, very fast acting fuse will blow in less than 8 ms under short circuit conditions.
    Appropriate capacity of the above class t fuse or equivalent should be installed within 7” of the battery Plus (+) terminal (Please see table 3.1 for fuse sizing).
    Marine rated battery fuses, Mrbf-xxx Series made by Cooper bussmann may also be used.
    These fuses comply with ISO 8820-6 for road vehicles.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you..I made a few mods to the Practical diagram to fit me..thanks for doing all of the leg work

Couple of questions-
    What does the Victron Lynx Distribution do??..same type of box you have connected to the batteries?

I am following you all the way to the RV breaker box...How come you cannot go straight from the RV breaker DC IN to the battery switch then to the 600A fuse? Maybe just the Lynx box throwing me offAttachment 21622
    The Lynx stuff is just fancy bus bars essentially. Each of those boxes has 2x 1000A bus bars with 4 positions each. The Power-In on the battery side is "dumb" bus bars, the Lynx Distribution on the other side is for loads, it is the exact same bus bars with positions for MEGA fuses for the connected loads and will show an LED indicator if a fuse is blown. I liked it for the heavy duty design, modular capability (they are made to be chained together), and single brand design continuity once it is all installed. You could connect the RV DC In anywhere you want as long as it is AFTER the cutoff switch and main fuse. I tend to spend more than I need to for things to look pretty and be easy to service/troubleshoot down the road - the Lynx stuff offers no real-world benefits vs a simpler bus bar design. They are decently priced though, the Power-In is like $130 for 2x 1000A bus bars which is actually pretty good.

A finished install with them can look something like these. There is a blue plastic cover that goes on top of it all once you are done making connections.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VictronLynx Install Example.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	21624

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victron Lynx Install Example 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	21625
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveldawg---thank you, after going back and looking at the diagram of your sub-panel it makes more sense.

You show 30A from Inverter and (4) 15A breakers; correct?

Brian,
    the 300a fuse is to protect both the batteries and inverter from one another behaving badly (inverter drawing too much current or inverter not charging the batteries correctly).

The cutoff switch going to the Converter/Inverter is to shut the inverter down if/when necessary (like if I want to go into my sub panel). The other cutoff switch (lower right) is the original set off switch that GD installed. I left that converter and switch in the RV (it was the original GD converter) in case my primary Inverter/Converter fails.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Here is what I have been working on! I have a generator and ATS, if you do not you can ignore those. Both one and 2 inverter versions available. The "Practical" one with one inverter also shows how you could do a bank of 6V batteries instead of 12Vs in parallel.

Attachment 21620

Attachment 21619
    Im considering this install myself! thanks for the help.
    Sold our Salem travel trailer that's been all over the USA and going big in the spring after the snow melts.
    2021 Solitude 310GK (first of year 2021)
    2020 Chevrolet 3500HD duramax Crew Cab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12