Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gen Prep kits but no generators?

In our search for our 390 Solitude, from what I'm seeing is that 80% are ordered with a gen prep kit and zero % has a generator install. Then if you want a generator the options are
    A) Order one and wait 8-12 weeks,
    B) Pay 2-3K more for a dealership installation,
    C) Pay 5-6K for Onan-Cummins to do the install,
    D) Buy a "foreign" generator setup and hook and unhook each time. By "foreign" I mean non-OEM generator and set up. SWMBO does not want (and me either really) the foreign set up. She wants to be able to heat / cool while we ride, plus an automatic start if needed.

So why do dealers order so few generators? On a near $100K unit, you would think that at least somebody, somewhere would have one with a generator.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a Cummins dealer near you. I used goggle. Cummins will sell and install the Onan generator of your choice. Propane generators are all that will work in the Solitudes and reflections. If you have the Generator prep package you can get a 6500kw propane generator for $4900 plus installation. I just bought one. You will need the exhaust kit for $130 and a transfer switch. I have less than $6000 installed. You could get a 5500kw for a $1000 less. I went with the 6500 because it was the biggest one that will fit in the gen prep box. A factory 5500kw generator from GD is $5600 plus the $733 generator prep kit.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ever stock a Solitude with a generator.

Heck, I don't even order them with Gen prep.

In our area, 95% of the people buying Solitudes are using full hook ups. If they want the generator, they are willing to order the unit how they want it instead of taking a stock unit.

The cost of those items are hard to overcome when the majority of your customers are price driven, and a couple grand for a generator is a stumbling block if they never intend to use it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still in the "looking" phase of a new 5th Wheel. Is gen prep something I should consider if I ever want to install a genny down the road, or even resale value in the future? Ie: impossible to install the kit after the coach is built? Simpler put: what is the gen prep kit exactly?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff included in the prep is much cheaper at time of manufacture vs adding later on down the road. Some like having the box in the front storage too just as a shelf to put stuff on/under. I had my dealer add a generator before I took delivery and haven't looked back since. The dealer quoted me $5400 for the parts and labor for the install and it still got rolled into the loan. I also had them install slide toppers. If these had been done at the factory I suppose I could have expected a similar 35% off the option msrp as well vs what I paid (which was in the ball park of the list price for the options). It wasn't worth waiting 12 weeks though to have it done at the factory.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    The stuff included in the prep is much cheaper at time of manufacture vs adding later on down the road. Some like having the box in the front storage too just as a shelf to put stuff on/under. I had my dealer add a generator before I took delivery and haven't looked back since. The dealer quoted me $5400 for the parts and labor for the install and it still got rolled into the loan. I also had them install slide toppers. If these had been done at the factory I suppose I could have expected a similar 35% off the option msrp as well vs what I paid (which was in the ball park of the list price for the options). It wasn't worth waiting 12 weeks though to have it done at the factory.
    What he said!!! At our closest dealer, they ordered every 390RK in Java with the gen prep kit. Not a single unit with the Linen interior or a generator and would only order one. Cummins / Onan is right out their back door, and 2 Cummins Coach Care within an hours drive, but no help from them in getting a generator installed. I spoke with Clint Leazenby at Campland RV and they were willing to work with me and make the installation at Cummins / Onan in Elkhart easy and seamless. I have two dealers now that are willing to do the installation in-house as soon as we are sure everything is lined up with the financing.

The gen prep kit consists of the shroud, upgraded inverter, remote start switch and hourmeter, and all the cable looms and wiring. If the prep kit is there, gen installation is less than 5 hours and I was told that it would be six hours labor for two installers (3 hours X 2 men) and about 2.5 hours if wanted to do it that way.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We opted to order our 3740BH-R with the Generator and Solar (we will be FT and plan to boondock about 50% of the time). We also wanted the Bench seating, Res Fridge, Linen interior, Slide-out Awnings and Double-pane windows. We still got ~30% off MSRP when it was all said and done.
    Full-time as of March 1, 2020
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes
    Onan Generator, TheDryCampers Installed Solar, Slide-Out Awnings

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I re-read this, so let me clarify...

Cummins / Onan is right out their back door, and 2 Cummins Coach Care within an hours drive, but no help from them in getting a generator installed

The dealership wouldn't help. Cummins shop out the back door said that they could do it in house, but generally would send the install to the CC facility who had the training to do the install and I would get better results from there. The CC facility said they could do it the 2nd-3rd day after ordering the generator and would be a morning job.