User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding 120v receptacle in 3740BH bedroom

Has anyone added a 120v outlet in the front bedroom of a 3740BH? I want to install a butcher block counter top going over the dresser over towards the closet for use a desk top for an office and need to figure out a nice clean way to get power over there.

I have 2 main ideas on how to achieve this:
    -Tie a new outlet off of the dryer 20a circuit in the closet and have the new outlet on the closet wall facing into the bedroom
    -Run a new line underneath the little ledge (that I assume hides the frame) in the front area and snake that cable back into the front utility bay (where generator is) and then tie that into the breaker panel. The outlet could be mounted on the carpeted horizontal surface of that ledge, or I can possibly cut a hole in the side of the dresser and install it there. Ideally, I can have as low of an impact on the RV finished surfaces as possible.

Any thoughts from other owners is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in the response to this, as I am planning to do the same in the master - I thought about just using the TV outlet on the wall and hiding the power cord along the windows edge.
    Full-time as of March 1, 2020
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes
    Onan Generator, TheDryCampers Installed Solar, Slide-Out Awnings

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtintx View Post
    I am interested in the response to this, as I am planning to do the same in the master - I thought about just using the TV outlet on the wall and hiding the power cord along the windows edge.
    That is my short term and most practical plan. Will probably run power and an ethernet cable later on.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not familiar with the whole layout and what would be the best solution. My only comment would be that you need to ensure you use the proper gauge wire and outlet. If you are going to tap off the 20 Amp dryer circuit, you need to use appropriately rated wires and outlets. So you need to use 12AWG wire and a 20 amp outlet if you want to feed your outlet from this circuit. You cannot use the less expensive 14AWG and 15 amp equipment as they are not sized appropriately for a 20 amp service and would be a fire hazard.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    Not familiar with the whole layout and what would be the best solution. My only comment would be that you need to ensure you use the proper gauge wire and outlet. If you are going to tap off the 20 Amp dryer circuit, you need to use appropriately rated wires and outlets. So you need to use 12AWG wire and a 20 amp outlet if you want to feed your outlet from this circuit. You cannot use the less expensive 14AWG and 15 amp equipment as they are not sized appropriately for a 20 amp service and would be a fire hazard.

DAN
    I will keep the dryer independent as it has its own breaker. I will tap off of the circuit running the other receptacles and likely use 14/2 wire. I have an idea of where the wiring can run and will take it directly back to the breaker rather than slave it off of another outlet. Some day, when I feel motivated enough to do so.