User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could tell you about some unsafe rigs on the road but those that are concerned about my truck being safe need to really research what is unsafe on the roads out there. Not enough weight on the hitch pin or hitch. Riding with the trailer nose down to the point that the rear axle wheel don't touch the pavement. 18 wheelers running with the front brakes disabled or disconnected and a variety of other serious problems like running over the weight limit on the hiway and breaking down the pavement from over load. Look how our interstate system is breaking down. Just from old age, I think not but from trucks running way over the weight load.
    Barry:D
    USN Retired
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, many mods, B&W rollball Gooseneck hitch and Anderson Ultimate adaptor
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, TorxLift stairs, bug screens on Furnace, HWH, Fridge, Cross bar on screen door
    Yanmar Sc2450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I know. I think the trailer would be even better (but it might cost more).
    I will probably upgrade the trailer brakes and suspension after I finish my truck, Disc brakes, shocks, Morryde suspension products.
    USN Retired
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, many mods, B&W rollball Gooseneck hitch and Anderson Ultimate adaptor
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, TorxLift stairs, bug screens on Furnace, HWH, Fridge, Cross bar on screen door
    Yanmar Sc2450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will probably go to another set of scales and see what kind of a reading I get from them. Probably will get a similar reading but could be a faulty scale. Not to optimistic about that but I can't rule it out yet. Being that the Sierra 2500HD is an independent suspension on the 3/4 T 4WD I will have to see what i can do to beef it up.

XRated comments and suggestions are always solicited even if I don't agree. It gives me something to consider and think about. I do want to be safe but, I have a limited budget and disposable income.
    USN Retired
    Yanmar Sc2450

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauderer View Post
    I will probably go to another set of scales and see what kind of a reading I get from them. Probably will get a similar reading but could be a faulty scale. Not to optimistic about that but I can't rule it out yet. Being that the Sierra 2500HD is an independent suspension on the 3/4 T 4WD I will have to see what i can do to beef it up.

XRated comments and suggestions are always solicited even if I don't agree. It gives me something to consider and think about. I do want to be safe but, I have a limited budget and disposable income.
    Keep in mind that "beefing up" suspension systems does not/cannot change the ratings on the truck - you'll still have a 3/4-ton truck with the ratings posted on the door sticker. I get the limited budget thing, but you can't put a price tag on safety.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Keep in mind that "beefing up" suspension systems does not/cannot change the ratings on the truck - you'll still have a 3/4-ton truck with the ratings posted on the door sticker. I get the limited budget thing, but you can't put a price tag on safety. Rob
    Safety is not a single faceted item
    USN Retired
    Yanmar Sc2450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Keep in mind that "beefing up" suspension systems does not/cannot change the ratings on the truck - you'll still have a 3/4-ton truck with the ratings posted on the door sticker. I get the limited budget thing, but you can't put a price tag on safety. Rob
    We will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. I am not going to change your mind and I have been working on and modifying cars and trucks and you aren't going to change my mind. I would like this to end on the disagreement here. If you can't let it go I will try and close the thread. I am sure you understand.
    USN Retired
    Yanmar Sc2450

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand.....not everyone agrees with the way I think when it comes to calculating numbers to come up with a safe, good handling, proper capacity towing/trailer combination. I've stated this before, but it probably bears repeating. When I do the numbers for a truck trailer combination, I ALWAYS use the GVWR of the trailer. Doing it that way gives you numbers that are "worst case scenario" as far as the weight of the trailer. If you calculate Worst Case Scenario (WCS), and then size your truck to handle that size trailer (even though you may not ever get the trailer to the GVWR), you will have benefitted in two ways. 1. You will never have to worry about overloading the tow vehicle as long as you don't overload the trailer. 2. Your tow vehicle will fall into line with every single one of the tow ratings.....GVWR, Payload, GCVWR, FAWR, RAWR, Towing Capacity, and the Tire Load Capacity. To me, there is a comfort level in knowing that each and every time I back the truck up to take the trailer out camping. And on a side note, in case of an accident, even if the other party tries to sue you, they cannot argue that you were overload and you knew it......in other words reckless, careless, etc.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I wasn't clear, what I'm looking for on my Silverado is labeled as" Tire and loading Information". It is near the one you posted, but includes the line "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxx.

Thanks
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallBoxMaker View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear, what I'm looking for on my Silverado is labeled as" Tire and loading Information". It is near the one you posted, but includes the line "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxx.

Thanks
    John, it's pretty much a moot point. He weighed the EMPTY trailer on his way home with it. Weights indicate that his truck is at 9980, which is almost 800 lbs (780 to be exact) over the GVWR of the truck......and that is with an empty trailer. As he loads it for going camping, the overloaded condition will grow more and more. And depending on how heavily he keeps loading it, eventually, with enough weight he will reach the limit of the rear axle. And IF even more weight is added, the tire load capacity.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    John, it's pretty much a moot point.
    Understood. But I was looking for was something that very simply would have predicted the weighing results. Might be more use for someone else.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast