User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heated Tanks and Storage/ Enclosed and heated Low Point Drains.

We are expecting first major Freeze tonight and tomorrow evening here in Central Texas, Georgetown, 28 degrees. I was planning on winterizing our 2018 Solitude 310GK, but then I have had this RV in much colder temps up in Wyoming and Amarillo, Tx one year ago. I can tell you that I had to turn off the Heater, because the Underbelly Electric tank heaters worked so efficiently and we were cooking at night in 16 degree temps and 25-30 knot winds. I have totally drained all of my Tanks and drained the Hot water Heater three weeks ago prior to taking our rig to our covered storage 10 miles down the road. This morning with the temps at 70 degrees, I headed out to winterize, even though we are going this weekend to Fredricksburg,TX. Will only be below freezing tonight and tomorrow night. I am asking if my decision to turn on Underbelly Tank Heaters, and Heater to 66 degrees is OK. I opened Both ceiling vents, to make sure it doesn't get too stuffy. We are in a high covered storage Facility, with back and sides . It is wind protected but cold air can come in from the front and bottom of the sides. I am connected to a 30 Amp PWR Supply. I just can't see why it would be different than camping in it with water on and in the open. I am totally empty of water, but admit there is more than likely water in my lines.

Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    We are expecting first major Freeze tonight and tomorrow evening here in Central Texas, Georgetown, 28 degrees. I was planning on winterizing our 2018 Solitude 310GK, but then I have had this RV in much colder temps up in Wyoming and Amarillo, Tx one year ago. I can tell you that I had to turn off the Heater, because the Underbelly Electric tank heaters worked so efficiently and we were cooking at night in 16 degree temps and 25-30 knot winds. I have totally drained all of my Tanks and drained the Hot water Heater three weeks ago prior to taking our rig to our covered storage 10 miles down the road. This morning with the temps at 70 degrees, I headed out to winterize, even though we are going this weekend to Fredricksburg,TX. Will only be below freezing tonight and tomorrow night. I am asking if my decision to turn on Underbelly Tank Heaters, and Heater to 66 degrees is OK. I opened Both ceiling vents, to make sure it doesn't get too stuffy. We are in a high covered storage Facility, with back and sides . It is wind protected but cold air can come in from the front and bottom of the sides. I am connected to a 30 Amp PWR Supply. I just can't see why it would be different than camping in it with water on and in the open. I am totally empty of water, but admit there is more than likely water in my lines.

Mike
    You'll be ok Mike running the furnace and keeping the tank heaters on. Never hurts to be on the safe side. Hey enjoy Fredricksburg, great town.
    I winterized our Solitude with antifreeze as we will not be using it for awhile. Down here in Bastrop supposed to dip into the teens with wind chill. that's Frigid for us! Family up in Indiana and Ohio will have it much worse.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    You'll be ok Mike running the furnace and keeping the tank heaters on. Never hurts to be on the safe side. Hey enjoy Fredricksburg, great town.
    I winterized our Solitude with antifreeze as we will not be using it for awhile. Down here in Bastrop supposed to dip into the teens with wind chill. that's Frigid for us! Family up in Indiana and Ohio will have it much worse.
    Thanks for making me feel better Steve. I checked on things both mornings and all was OK, except for yesterday morning. Something was nagging at me , so after I shut down the Heater for the day, I checked the Propane tanks. Good thing! One was empty and the other pretty close. I took both to get filled and replaced them. I am checking the weather periodically during the day, but as of now, it will not be getting to freezing tonight or tomorrow. We should be good for at least the next week according to the weatherman.
    This cold weather this early has been an eye opener for me. I am beginning to get these nagging thoughts about checking things, that I really believe I have acquired from this Forum. Always appreciate comments on this site, as I am learning to check and even becoming proactive about care and maintenance on our RV.
    By the way, we went to Bastrop a few weeks ago when we visited Hope Valley Tree Farm. Really like the rolling farm and pastureland in that area. We stopped in Elgin at our favorite Barbecue Restaurant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    Thanks for making me feel better Steve. I checked on things both mornings and all was OK, except for yesterday morning. Something was nagging at me , so after I shut down the Heater for the day, I checked the Propane tanks. Good thing! One was empty and the other pretty close. I took both to get filled and replaced them. I am checking the weather periodically during the day, but as of now, it will not be getting to freezing tonight or tomorrow. We should be good for at least the next week according to the weatherman.
    This cold weather this early has been an eye opener for me. I am beginning to get these nagging thoughts about checking things, that I really believe I have acquired from this Forum. Always appreciate comments on this site, as I am learning to check and even becoming proactive about care and maintenance on our RV.
    By the way, we went to Bastrop a few weeks ago when we visited Hope Valley Tree Farm. Really like the rolling farm and pastureland in that area. We stopped in Elgin at our favorite Barbecue Restaurant.
    Mike, Jane, i get those feelings all the time, what did i forget this time!! Seems you never know what the TX weather might do. Last year we had a couple inches of snow for gosh sake. Yes RVs of today need more attention than the older units of yesterday. Great folks here on the forum and are willing to help anyone. As far as Texas, we have been to 3 of the GDRV rally's here in Texas, 1 in San Antonio and 2 in Conroe, they are very informative and great fun. This years GDRV Rally in Conroe, there was a seminar on maintenance and periodic check & maintenance items. You might appreciate the excel spreadsheet that a GDRV owner created and I modified to suit our rig. They sent it out to everyone that wanted it. Helps you keep track of everything and can be modified to your specific rig. Let me know if you want it, if you have excel and I'll get it to you.
    We are also members of Escapee's and spent a few days in Livingston Tx touring the facility getting our ducks in a row for when we go fulltime.
    Hey the tree farm is very near where I live, (right across highway 71 from McKinny Roughs nature park) the tree farm is a great place. Did you stop by the Southside Market BBQ in Elgin or some other place?

Take Care and have fun exploring.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-14-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel