Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disassembling the Desk in a 2670MK

Has anyone else ever disassembled the desk in the 2670MK?

After driving in the rain, we noticed that the carpet in the back corner where the hot water heater is was wet. The cause of this appears to have been a deteriorated bulb seal which had slid down about 18 inches from the top (I-95 between Savannah and I-26 probably contributed to this.) To make a long story short, I ended up removing the desk side panel, as well as the drawers, and determined that the hot water heater was not leaking.

The leak has been going on long enough for the press board bottom rail to go soft at the corner and begin to mold inside the cabinet. My son has good wood shop so I am going to have him make me a new bottom rail out of hardwood. Most of the disassembly is straightforward, but the lower section, where it fastens to the outside wall is obscured by the hot water tank, something I prefer not to remove in order to fix the problem.

Also, we have the dark wood decor in the camper--does anyone know what stain would match the existing panel?

Thank you in advance.
    2018 2670MK
    2019 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71
    Blue Ox hitch

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, don't have your coach so I can't comment directly. Leaks are no fun! Could you disassemble everything except the lower section? Or is that where the problem is?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply.

The lower section is where the problem is, as well as the right side vertical piece, which is rotted at the bottom. The photos I took showed that mold had started to grow on the soggy press board and lower section of the paneling. At first I thought I might be able to remove just the damaged pieces by unscrewing them from the frame, and replacing the damaged parts, but in light of the mold, I think it would be better if we replaced the entire base cabinet. The trick will be matching the stain.
    2018 2670MK
    2019 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71
    Blue Ox hitch

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicknBobbie View Post
    The trick will be matching the stain.
    And removing the hot water heater as you said above. Hope it goes well for you. It's great to have a son with a shop to help. We have a daughter, but she's a few hundred miles away.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S