Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Skylight installation screws

Hi Everyone, I have two skylights to replace... I was curious as to the type of installation screws that everyone my use for this. ICON has installation screws with the rubber seal, but thy want more in the shipping than the price of the screws. Thanks for you comments ..
    2019 29RS
    2015 Ford F-350 6.7, Ultimate Lariat

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a bit of overkill but I would do some neoprene washers on each screw. I would look at screws from Home Depot and they typically have smaller rubber or neoprene washers. Then a final seal with leveling roof sealant.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information,,, Thats the suggestion(s) I was looking for... i did not realize they had the smaller rubber type washers ...
    2019 29RS
    2015 Ford F-350 6.7, Ultimate Lariat

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week a falling branch cracked the skylight and made it leak. I plan on replacing it with an Icon skylight when our trip is over.
    I am planning on using ss truss head screws with neoprene washers to fasten it down and caulking the screw points with the same butyl calk I use for the under-seal.

It may be overkill, but I am going to cover the screws and edges with eternabond tape. Does anyone know if the butyl caulk will be a problem for the eternabond tape.

Thanks in advance.
    2018 2670MK
    2019 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71
    Blue Ox hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicknBobbie View Post
    Last week a falling branch cracked the skylight and made it leak. I plan on replacing it with an Icon skylight when our trip is over.
    I am planning on using ss truss head screws with neoprene washers to fasten it down and caulking the screw points with the same butyl calk I use for the under-seal.

It may be overkill, but I am going to cover the screws and edges with eternabond tape. Does anyone know if the butyl caulk will be a problem for the eternabond tape.

Thanks in advance.
    If you have a gasket I would not use butyl as well. One or the other should be fine covered by eternabond tape. Pretty solid. You could use a bit of lap sealant on the screw threads.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    If you have a gasket I would not use butyl as well. One or the other should be fine covered by eternabond tape. Pretty solid. You could use a bit of lap sealant on the screw threads.

Bill
    Thanks for the reply.

I remember reading somewhere on the forum that I should not use ordinary lap sealant on polycarbonate. I still want to cover the screws and transition with eternabond. Will the butyl caulk I use to pot the top of the screws react badly with the eternabond tape?
    2018 2670MK
    2019 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71
    Blue Ox hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicknBobbie View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I remember reading somewhere on the forum that I should not use ordinary lap sealant on polycarbonate. I still want to cover the screws and transition with eternabond. Will the butyl caulk I use to pot the top of the screws react badly with the eternabond tape?
    I don’t think lap sealant will hurt the skylight. Typically the butyl goes between the roof and skylight not on top. You have a gasket, so you put the gasket between the roof and skylight and eternabond tape over the screws and seams on top.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS