User Tag List

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet bolt greasing issue

Thanks for the bushing insight!

Why couldn’t they do poly bushings with a steel sleeve and a steel bolt. Automotive have been doing it that way for decades.

When was the last time you greased up the leaf spring shackles on you truck?

Any thoughts on that approach? May have some merit?

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet bolt greasing issue

Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    In the quick cursory look, the "never-Fail" bushings are not available anymore unless you find them at a place left over. I might be looking incorrectly. I did find a few people with them on the campers where they did fail also for whatever reason. I dont think there is a way to have a bushing NOT FAIL when it is pivoting over time even with grease lubrication. Its a "wear" item and the rougher the road, combined with heavy weights, these all will fail at some point.

I am assuming since you have 30K miles on them, they are many years old. Glad they are still good to go for you! If you have a link to them just in case I am just incompetent in my search.

Thanks
    Check this link, I think these are still available.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Never...-p/46-0380.htm

On edit:
    Snap…I guess I should learn to read, no longer available.

On second edit:
    Found a kit on Amazon that has them

https://a.co/d/089so3A

Sorry

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 10-24-2022 at 07:54 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    In the quick cursory look, the "never-Fail" bushings are not available anymore unless you find them at a place left over. I might be looking incorrectly. I did find a few people with them on the campers where they did fail also for whatever reason. I dont think there is a way to have a bushing NOT FAIL when it is pivoting over time even with grease lubrication. Its a "wear" item and the rougher the road, combined with heavy weights, these all will fail at some point.

I am assuming since you have 30K miles on them, they are many years old. Glad they are still good to go for you! If you have a link to them just in case I am just incompetent in my search.

Thanks
    I searched "Lippert never fail" and got several. e-bay, camping world, e-trailer etc.

The Delrin (or similar) material is self lubricating and is very tough. Now used on off-road vehicles with way more punishment and they hold up just fine. I would be interested in those with failures for more info on their specific issues.

Obviously everyone should do as they feel is right but I think most will be pleasantly surprised by how well they perform.

EDIT: they may not sell many because people like to grease stuff!
    Last edited by JCR GD; 10-24-2022 at 08:02 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Thanks for the bushing insight!

Why couldn’t they do poly bushings with a steel sleeve and a steel bolt. Automotive have been doing it that way for decades.

When was the last time you greased up the leaf spring shackles on you truck?

Any thoughts on that approach? May have some merit?

Bill
    That's exactly what they should do. A pressed in poly bushing with a steel sleeve, especially with a wet bolt, I'd think that would be a near "forever" part. My truck has a pressed in steel bushing on the spring, but, get this, doesn't even have a wet bolt. It's just steel to steel, and, last time I had it apart (to put in Sulastic springs), it looked brand new. Now, granted, the truck weighs quite a bit less than my RV, but still, it's doable; in fact, it's already "done" in almost all other suspension setups I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On edit:

On second edit:

Sorry

Bill
    Yeah I made my comments after seeing the "no longer available". Thanks for the links and comments on what you found too.
    The Amazon kit does not look very stout in comparison to the steal plates for my CRE300 shackles. I would be concerned about this overall kit to be honest, but that my paranoia speaking (outside voice). I agree with the comment below people need to do what they feel comfortable with in their own scenarios. I will keep look into stuff on this topic, and in the meantime, I will keep greasing the heck out of what I have, and watch for issues during regular maintenance .
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On edit:

On second edit:

Sorry

Bill
    A number of reviews for the Amazon item state that these are not actual Never Fail bushings. The unbranded package included standard white bushings that look like the OEM type on many trailers. Something to watch for...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    A number of reviews for the Amazon item state that these are not actual Never Fail bushings. The unbranded package included standard white bushings that look like the OEM type on many trailers. Something to watch for...
    The do seem to be apparently made of unobtanium. Many are sold out, others are selling knock offs. Are we sure that they are still being manufactured?

That said, I'm not a fan of "never fail" type setups for one simple reason; they aren't used in any pin/bushing combination that I'm aware of that's intended to have long service. The tried and true is grease, bushings and pins. Every excavator you see, every tractor; they all use that configuration because it works well for a VERY long time as long as you keep grease in the joint. You won't find "neverfail" type bushings on components that are intended to last for years/decades.

However, given my experience (and others) with brass, it's possible that Neverfail is better. I only made it ~15K miles with plenty of grease on them, if you don't grease religiously, you might only make it a few thousand miles before the brass is destroyed. Honestly, if they're not greased at the factory, who knows, mine could have been 1/2 used up by the time I got the RV after it's trip from Elkhart.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue with the suspension bolts and bushings is the very limited range of motion. The bolt describes a very limited arc of movement, and the grease will get "squished" out of the bushing where it needs to be most. And then it's not going to get any grease back because of the aforementioned limited movement. Just a pretty poorly designed system, IMO anyway. Adding grease via a zerk is not likely to get the grease back to the area it needs to be in, due to grease following the line of least resistance, which will not be where it's really needed. But you do what you can.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C’mon guys. You all are asking for too much modern technology here. I mean towable suspensions from the OE RV manufacturers hasn’t changed in decades. Undersized leaf springs made from Chinese steel on axles that meet minimum (barely) unloaded weights. Drum brakes technology from the 1930’s that aren’t even minimally adjusted before being sold to the end user. Undersized & unprotected wiring fed thru the axle tubes that is chaffed and shorted from rubbing.
    And now we want bushings that withstand 10,000 miles of travel before needing replacement?
    C’mon guys!
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This new fangled "steel" and "chrome" thing is a fad. In fact, maybe we should go back to a wooden dowel.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast