Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coyote is a great engine, but it's far from your dad's 302. It's as complex as the eco boosts minus the turbos. I'd love to have one in a mustang.

Ford has been putting the eco boost in trucks for over a decade now. That wouldn't happen if it weren't reliable. Ford's commitment to V8s isn't going anywhere either, or they would not have spent a ton of money developing 2 new big blocks for the super duties. Economy wise, almost everyone I know driving an F-150 with a coyote does a little better than I do with my sometimes lead weighted foot in my 3.5 so the aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Where the 3.5L shines, is low end torque. It's within 90% of it's max torque output by 1500RPM and it stays there. It's almost diesel-like in that regard. It's absolutely wonderful when getting on the interstate towing my trailer, or passing someone. It downshifts a couple gears, and just digs in and goes. There's no scream like a V8, and honestly I don't miss it. My 13 had more turbo noise than my 18. The newer truck I really don't even hear spool up unless I have my windows down and there's a fence or something next to me for the noise to bounce off. I'm going to miss the quiet if I get a 7.3 gas in my super duty. I'm also going to miss 20+mpg when I'm not towing.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the eco boost. I wouldn't hesitate buying one for fear of "complexity" because the simple truth is everything out there is just as complex. Variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation, complex fuel injection systems, etc exist on all the other ones too. Turbocharging is probably the oldest technology of the group. You can't go wrong with either in a Ford, but if you're towing a travel trailer you're really going to like a 3.5L eco boost.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a tough decision when I was shopping for a new truck two years ago. My first choice was the XL version of the Ford 150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost, HDPP and max tow package. I also test drove half tons from GM, Toyota, Nissan and Ram. The least desirable truck was a tie between the Titan and Tundra, followed by GM. They were bouncy on rough roads and kind of loud. The best ride was the Ram, but I was kind of hesitating on the Ram because I suspected its reliability was way below average. But I was also reading on RV sites (like this) that gas mileage in the Ram EcoDiesel was proving to be better than expected and Consumer Reports was actually rating the Ram as the most reliable new truck (which was a shocker). The Rams was the last truck I test drove. I have to admit that my wife's strong preference for the Ram's ride and quietness (the EcoDiesel engine specifically) at highway speeds was a major factor in ordering mine.

Anyway, I've put 50,000 miles on it since February 2021 and it is proving to be the nicest, most reliable and fuel efficient (either towing or not) large vehicle I've owned. The 33 gallon tank gets a range of about 400 miles when towing. Shockingly, I get a range of close to 1,000 miles when driving on the interstate when not towing. Even in local suburban and rural driving mileage varies between 26 and 34 mpg, depending on and my lead foot.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Skipping the 3/4 ton and jumping to the 1ton is a good idea.

I've got a 2021 f150 SCREW with the 3.5 and the 7100# GVWR.

My payload is 1975#

My brother's 2019 f250 with the diesel has 2100# of payload.

His truck feels more stable when towing, but legally he can carry only one big dog more than me.

(His fuel economy towing is better though)
    Excellent advice. Unless you live in a "tax by weight" state (SC, for example, my home state), there's no reason to even look at 250's, just go straight to the 350. It's possible to configure a 250 to have LESS payload than a 150, a ridiculous situation, but the 250 only really exists as a registration beater for states like mine where a new 350 will cost you close to double in tax each year (my F450 taxes are about 3K a year, so it's a very significant number!). If you don't live in one of those states (and there are only a few), forget the 250 and go straight to the 350.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Look at gas F250s. There is probably only one or two ‘19/‘20 F150s with the HDPP for sale in the entire country, and you better believe they’ll cost as much as the gas 250. That’s what is required to really pull one of these fifth wheels, **not the ‘max tow’ ecoboost 3.5s you see everywhere.

IF you were to get the unicorn HDPP truck with that motor, it’s a nice setup. The motor has plenty of power when the rest of the truck can carry the weight.

On travel trailers, calculate 10-15% of the GVWR (not the dry weight) to get load on truck. 12% is a good start.

On fifth wheels, calculate 15-25% of the GVWR (not the dry weight) to get load on truck. 20% is a decent start. You quickly see why typical half ton 1800# (or less) payload isn’t enough, especially with people and their stuff also in the truck. At just 9995 GVWR, that’s 2000# on the truck.

You’re in a great situation since you haven’t purchased the truck yet to just change the truck you are looking for and still get / be happy with the trailer you want.
    I support your answer 100%, I wouldn’t attempt to pull a 5er with a f150. Payload/Cargo capacity will get you every time. Go with at least a 250 6.7 or an 350 and you’ll be happy you did or else you’ll be trading again very soon. Safe travels with what ever decision you make.
    Last edited by Dennis1; 12-02-2022 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Need to add something
    F150 short bed
    Max tow package 20 inch tires
    36 gallon fuel tank 1600 payload
    TT 2500 RL (picked up June 25th 2021)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably too late for you, but there's a 2020 F150 HDPP 3.5L TT for sale in Tucson. Check https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...565453371.html
    2020 Ford F150 XLT with HDPP, 3.5L TT V6, 6.5' bed, 3.73 axle, Curt A16 manual slider hitch.
    2021 GD Reflections 150 series 295RL 33' 5th
    Long ago: Carriage Lite 35' 5th, towed by Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    Probably too late for you, but there's a 2020 F150 HDPP 3.5L TT for sale in Tucson. Check https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...565453371.html
    That would be a great buy.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ooo! An newer version of mine! An additional 600 lbs carrying capacity. That is one great truck!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s a very nice truck, thanks for including that post. Very thoughtful, we’re not ready yet to make a purchase. It will most likely be in 1sr or 2nd quaternary in 2023.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2022 260RD and used to tow it with a 2020 F-150 with a payload capacity of 1,742. It actually towed fine, I had no problems towing or stopping. The 5.5' bed, however, was just a bit too short and the camper did slightly crease the cab once. I was also nervous towing with it just because I knew I was over on payload and wasn't sure what the legal ramifications would be if I had an accident. We switched to a 2020 F-350 with a payload capacity of over 4K and my worries about payload are gone. For me, the F-150 is easier to drive and it fits in my garage so I'll go back to it if we ever get rid of the camper. But, for now, I'm glad we traded for the 350.
    Ross & Sue | Papillion, Nebraska
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2020 F-350 XLT CCSB FX4 7.3L Gas
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123