Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solitude 390 RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Solitude 390 RK

Hello all, I am becoming a new owner of solitude 390 RK. Qusetion..to pull this 41 ft 16000 lb unit do i need a truck with Dual tires (aka Dually)? I am considering a Ford King Ranch long bed Diesel ( Not a Dually)
    I am Not a newby to trailers,,But I am a newby to 5th Wheels

Your Thoughts Please..StevyG

Sorry for the Subject (Solitude Typo) Could not seem to Change
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 02-22-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Title correction

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StevyG View Post
    Hello all, I am becoming a new owner of solitude 390 RK. Qusetion..to pull this 41 ft 16000 lb unit to i need a truck with Dual tires (aka Dually)? I am considering a Ford King Ranch long bed Diesel ( Not a Dually)
    I am Not a newby to trailers,,But I am a newby to 5th Wheels

Your Thoughts Please..StevyG

Sorry for the Subject (Solitude Typo) Could not seem to Change
    Short answer is yes...a Dually. Now, the long explanatory version. That trailer has a GVWR of 16,800 lbs, so if you load it up to or close to the GVWR of 16,800 lbs, that trailer will be putting a minimum of at least 3360 lbs of pin weight on a truck....and that number is based on 20% of the trailer's weight. Many times however, the pin weight can be higher than 20% of the trailer weight....sometimes reaching as high as 25%....depending on how things are loaded in the trailer and how much is loaded in the trailer. So just for sake of shared info here, look at that same 16,800 lbs of trailer weight and multiply it times the 25% number....pin weight could be as high as 4200 lbs. So, then the question becomes, how much payload capacity does your truck have....and there are many variables to that answer. The easiest way to find out is to look at the sticker on the driver side door post and find the white sticker with yellow highlighted areas and you will find the payload number for THAT truck. So let's say you have a truck with 3500 lbs of payload and assuming the 20% number for pin weight when the trailer is loaded up to or close to the GVWR. So you have 3360 lb of pin weight on a 3500 lb payload truck. That gives you a VERY slim margin right right off the bat. Now, you need to add up everything else, weightwise that the truck will be burdened with, like the 5th Wheel hitch, passenger or passengers, maybe a toolbox in the bed of the truck...maybe a load of fire wood, an aux. diesel tank, etc, etc. Only you know how much "extra stuff" you will be taking along with you, so make an estimate as close as you can to the total, then add all of that weight to the hitch weight, and the pin weight of the trailer. That will be the amount of available payload the truck will need...at a minimum.

One thing that most all of us do is to try and calculate a "worst case scenario" when trying to figure out truck/trailer matchups. Worst case scenario ALWAYS involves using the GVWR of the trailer, as the trailer may be loaded lighter than the GVWR, but should NEVER be loaded heavier than the GVWR. And pin weights on 5th Wheel Camping type trailers will almost always be at LEAST 20% of the trailer weight....and many times even more....21%..maybe 22-23%....and once in a while they go as high as the 25% number

So the short version answer that I provided was Yes...a Dually will be needed. The long version of my reply gives you the reasoning why and how to make a determination based on factual information that is real world, how it works 99.0% of the time. Personally, there would be no question for me on a trailer that size...I would have a truck that had at least 5000 lbs of payload capacity and in almost all instances, the would be a Dually One Ton truck. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, This is my third RV. We do travel very light Clothes & a couple of bikes. Probably otr 2 months ..hopefully more time.
    I really appreciate You taking time for the education...looks like i will be trading in my 2016 Dodge Ram 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having towed our previous 5th wheel with SRW 3500 for a couple of years, and then upgrading to a DRW 3500 and towing the same 5th wheel. I will never tow a 5th wheel with a SRW again! The stability that a DRW gives you is phenomenal compared to a SRW. Towing in a cross wind makes a huge difference, no more white knuckles. Took me a couple of weeks to get used to driving it around town with that big butt. Sure parking can be a pain sometimes, but I usually park in the north 40.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 RAM Laramie 3500 DRW
    Retired Navy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this info, It really opens our minds up on going swr or dwr now.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dually. Or, you will be buying one soon after.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, This is my third RV. We do travel very light Clothes & a couple of bikes. Probably otr 2 months ..hopefully more time.
    I really appreciate You taking time for the education...looks like i will be trading in my 2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    Glad I could help.....I'm one of those guys that learned the lesson the hard way, so I'm always willing to try and explain the basis for my opinions, and as always....basing it on fact, not emotions. Good luck with the search....You'll love how a Dually tows that 390.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Glad I could help.....I'm one of those guys that learned the lesson the hard way, so I'm always willing to try and explain the basis for my opinions, and as always....basing it on fact, not emotions. Good luck with the search....You'll love how a Dually tows that 390.
    Yup Got it...Looking at some fords 350's as we speak...I love the Rams it seems like the ford diesel has more kick than the cummings

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup Got it...Looking at some fords 350's as we speak...I love the Rams it seems like the ford diesel has more kick than the cummings
    And to be totally honest with you, if I didn't need a Toy Hauler (I've got a Momentum 394M), the Solitude 390RK would be my trailer of choice....I love the floor plan/layout and the Solitude is an extremely nice unit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Friends! We bought a 2021 Ford F 450! Kathy & I said " We need to hear what others RV'ers Recommend. Need Vs Want.
    Blessings to Ya'll.. StevyG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast