User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About to hit the road with our Imagine 2670MK.. just need to pick a truck.

Hi,
    For the past few years we've had a TT parked at a campsite near our home, going there pretty much every weekend. It was working great taking my e-golf to the campsite but now we want to move around. So we need to pull that thing. I figure since i can work from home, i can work from anywhere! But i know nothing about trucks aside from knowing i like leather seats, sun roofs, a kick ********** sound system and cameras all over. We'll use the truck as a tow vehicle for our summer vacations and to explore from time to time. Mostly, it'll be our 2nd car. We're looking at a supercrew cab. Going from my e-golf to a truck is a big change and I'd like to avoid the 2 time TV club .

I'm hesitating between:

F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
    max payload 2155

F150 Lariat 5L V8.
    max payload 2135

F250 Lariat with the Godzilla 7.3L V8.
    max payload 3320

Towing capacity looks good on all of those. I'm concerned about payload and drive-ability. We'll be just be me, my wife and the dog in there when towing, but covid has not been nice to our waists... the 3 of us are a tad over 400lbs. Add to this a toolbox with basic goodies in there and I understand how it adds up fast. I'm assuming 1000lbs on the hitch.

I'm plugging the numbers on the KYD spreadsheet and it looks like the F150 are ok. But reading about sway here makes me think otherwise. Keeping in mind that the truck won't be pulling anything 90% of the time just confuses me more. For the sake of argument, let's imagine we're in the magical money does not factor in decision land. Is it worth it to go for a 250?

Did i say i was new here? hi!
    Eric

ref:
    https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/
    https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...ical-Specs.pdf
    https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...Tech-Specs.pdf

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would do a 250. We just switched from a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 (both Rams) cause we ran out of both payload and gross combined weight. We had plenty of power, just not enough truck.
    Now we won't run out of truck. We can load what we want and need.
    And are more stabile doing it.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I would do a 250. We just switched from a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 (both Rams) cause we ran out of both payload and gross combined weight. We had plenty of power, just not enough truck.
    Now we won't run out of truck. We can load what we want and need.
    And are more stabile doing it.
    Thanks. We'll go for the 250. I've spent a lot of time reading what all you guys are saying and it seems like it just makes more sense.

I'm starting to understand what "just not enough truck." means thanks to mr big truck big rv!

Eric

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure the 250. I pulled our 2018 Imagine 2500 RL with a 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 Eco for three seasons. Despite adding airbags I was never happy with towing experience in windy conditions. Just traded the F150 for a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 High Country with diesel. Now I feel that I have the right truck.

That's my opinion after around 12,000 miles of towing - I'm sure others may differ. You've certainly come to the right forum for opinions - many of us can be wrong - but never in doubt!
    Ron & Dorothy
    2021 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 High Country/Duramax
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL
    Burlington, ON Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TangleMan View Post
    You've certainly come to the right forum for opinions - many of us can be wrong - but never in doubt!
    This made my day!

Right. i see 3 buckets of opinions so far.

1. a F150 will be just fine once you add 5k of stuff to it (ProPride hitch, air bags ...), if you know what you're doing.
    2. a F250 will be fine out of the box with added benefits.
    3. What do you mean sway? That's just how towing is, it's a stressful thing! (they didn't come here.)

Eric
    Last edited by eveilleu; 03-05-2021 at 06:44 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eveilleu View Post
    Hi,
    For the past few years we've had a TT parked at a campsite near our home, going there pretty much every weekend. It was working great taking my e-golf to the campsite but now we want to move around. So we need to pull that thing. I figure since i can work from home, i can work from anywhere! But i know nothing about trucks aside from knowing i like leather seats, sun roofs, a kick ********** sound system and cameras all over. We'll use the truck as a tow vehicle for our summer vacations and to explore from time to time. Mostly, it'll be our 2nd car. We're looking at a supercrew cab. Going from my e-golf to a truck is a big change and I'd like to avoid the 2 time TV club .

I'm hesitating between:

F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
    max payload 2155

F150 Lariat 5L V8.
    max payload 2135

F250 Lariat with the Godzilla 7.3L V8.
    max payload 3320

Towing capacity looks good on all of those. I'm concerned about payload and drive-ability. We'll be just be me, my wife and the dog in there when towing, but covid has not been nice to our waists... the 3 of us are a tad over 400lbs. Add to this a toolbox with basic goodies in there and I understand how it adds up fast. I'm assuming 1000lbs on the hitch.

I'm plugging the numbers on the KYD spreadsheet and it looks like the F150 are ok. But reading about sway here makes me think otherwise. Keeping in mind that the truck won't be pulling anything 90% of the time just confuses me more. For the sake of argument, let's imagine we're in the magical money does not factor in decision land. Is it worth it to go for a 250?

Did i say i was new here? hi!
    Eric

ref:
    https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/
    https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...ical-Specs.pdf
    https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...Tech-Specs.pdf
    Careful with your source for payload numbers. You really need to read the fine print on those brochures. If you go to a dealer and look at the door stickers, you'll get a more realistic number. F150 Lariat do not have a payload over 2000. More around the 1500. This should make your decision even easier now. The same will apply to the f250 though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 2021 2500RL with a Ram 6.4 250 Longhorn payload capacity 3300.....never worry how much is in it.
    The more options = less payroll capacity
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Careful with your source for payload numbers. You really need to read the fine print on those brochures. If you go to a dealer and look at the door stickers, you'll get a more realistic number. F150 Lariat do not have a payload over 2000. More around the 1500. This should make your decision even easier now. The same will apply to the f250 though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    This will make you smile. I actually asked sales reps from dealers to send me pics of the stickers on F150/F250 lariat and that seems like a really hard task. None have done it so far. So we'll go see those stickers ourselves next week.
    Eric

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    We tow our 2021 2500RL with a Ram 6.4 250 Longhorn payload capacity 3300.....never worry how much is in it.
    The more options = less payroll capacity
    Right. my head understands this. But i don't know how much LESS actually is. But we're going for a 250. I work a lot in my head during the week, week ends I'd like to be somewhat carefree!

Eric (Yes, i work in IT hehe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the f250.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast