User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank suggestions for short storage period

We just bought our rig (2670MK) 3 days ago. We've now spent our third night in her. It has been a learning experience, but fun and funny too. For example, The first night, I took a shower, then DW followed a short time later. It was then that I heard her say a few choice words - it seemed the water pressure was gone and all faucets were just sputtering. I even turned on the pump for a short time but that didn't help.

Our set up for the first night took perhaps 2-3 hours!! Just a lot of new stuff and no real experience how to do anything - unhitching the truck and trailer, went pretty well, leveling, eh - it wasn't the best, but for first timers....

It was late and we were both exhausted from the long day at the dealer, with our walk thru and PDI, not to mention unloading the truck and loading the RV, then traveling or first nights destination a short 20 miles away from dealer. So after having a restless first night wondering about this problem. I started the morning investigating. I started at the source. Apparently some knucklehead forgot to turn on the source faucet - Problem solved!

Next problem encountered - NO HOT WATER!!! Took next morning shower with no hot water!!! COLD SHOWERS aren't fun, but they are quick! Got the manual out and saw something about an on switch iii the WH door. Went outside and opened up the door - saw nothing that looked lie a ON/OFF switch. Asked a couple of passer by'ers. They looked and saw nothing - One gent asked me if I had turned on the switch at the control panel. Huh????? Guess I either didn't catch that at the walk thru or it was omitted. Went inside, sure enough I have two WH switches!! One for Propane and one for electric. Turned on the electric option and dog gone it - we had hot water!!!

We completed our two night stay, packed up, hitched up and on our way to Crater Lake, OR. Arrived around 3pm. Never backed up a trailer, One of the gents that works at the park guided me in with turn instructions - and we did it on the first try!! Rig set up time, less that an hour!! Hey, we're getting better at this comping thing!!!

Sorry for the lengthy message - now for my question. We will be on our final leg back to the Seattle area tomorrow. We will be parking the rig at a friends property - I will dump the black tank before we leave the Crater Lake park, but we are certain to use it at rest stops for head calls. There are no dumping facility options (that I know of) prior to storing the rig at my friends place. The rig will be there for approximately 3 weeks, while we pack and load our belongings to move from PNW, back to Florida where we will live.

Will the black tank be OK with some contents in it, for three weeks??? Are there any other options?? Suggestions??

Thanks!
    Steve

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put some blue thetford in it with plenty of water (5 gal). FYI since we are full time we don't use any chemicals.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I know what you mean - Bluethetford? Sorry. I do add a black tank chemical and do so art each drain - is that how to do it or am I using too much?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    I'm not sure I know what you mean - Bluethetford? Sorry. I do add a black tank chemical and do so art each drain - is that how to do it or am I using too much?
    @el Rojo is telling you to use one of this company's products in your tank. I can post the link here for you, but since it's not currently working for me I can't narrow it down to a single product. However most of their products made for black tanks will get you through three weeks storage.

https://www.thetford.com/products/holding-tanks/

As he/she said, LOTS of water, at least five gallons if not ten.

Then before you leave your storage location, add a cup of Dawn dish soap and a cup of Borax water softener crystals to a full toilet and give it a good mix before flushing it down. That will give you a good "washing machine" effect as you're driving to your first camp site on the way to Florida. Then, before you dump there, get your black tank pretty full. The force of dumping a full tank is beneficial to keeping it clean.

Then, repeat on your journey. If you're doing one-nighters on the way to Florida, rather than dump every day do it every few days. Put about five gallons of water in after every dump. Use the Dawn / Borax at least every other dump - I like to have it in there most of the time when I'm traveling to get the "washing machine" action from it.

Your stories about discovering the RV life are fun - obviously fun for you too. All the best for your journey.
    Last edited by boyscout; 08-04-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you don’t use the black tank for 3 weeks, it is a good idea to put some water in it with a chemical agent too. It will keep the smell down. Flush it real well at the campground first.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want chemicals in the gray and black tanks. It's cheap.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s been a few years since I’ve been on I-5 going north with a trailer, but it seems that there might be a rest area somewhere between Eugene and Portland that had a dump site for RVs. There might also be something between Portland and Seattle. I’d suggest checking the state websites, specifically for rest areas, and see if anything is listed. The closer to Seattle the better, as you might arrive with totally empty tanks.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh