User Tag List

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek problem

Two weeks ago while in Yellowstone, my Schwintek slide would not retract. Found three guys to help me muscle it back in and finished the trip without extending the slide again.

Since buying the Reflection I have read quite a bit about the Schwintek mechanism, so I'm getting ready to dig into the problem.

The controller is indicating an Error Code 8, which is "wire short between controller and motor". This is confirmed by no noise from the offending motor when retract/extend switch is activated. Could this code also indicate a defective motor? I really don't want to go through the hassle of removing the motor from the slide mechanism to test or replace if not necessary.

I just found a schematic of the wiring so next step will be to verify the integrity of the electrical system. If I can't find a short or open circuit, wonder if it would be feasible to apply 12vdc directly to the motor to eliminate the control board? Without removing the motor?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Code 8 ended up being a broken wire as indicated in the picture below. I have read where others with skills have soldered it back together and it has worked fine. You can purchase another harness for about $100 to test, but a quick test is just to reverse the leads on the control board. I think when you do that out becomes in and in becomes out but can't remember for sure. In any event it's kind of a way to test the control board and maybe the harness.

LCI has lots of material on slide stuff on their web site and there are too many you tube videos on the subject.

If it were me I would be ordering a new slide motor....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brokewire.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	35370
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have now found a couple of good videos on the repair. I've uncovered the motor but not removed it. First glance shows no issue with the wires at the motor.

Next step is to check out the cables, and make sure no shorts or opens. If nothing found I think I'll order a motor and try it before installing just to make sure the controller is OK. At this point I like the idea of having a spare motor even if the one I have is eventually found to be good.

Hard to believe they charge $100 for a harness. It would be very easy to make. Just need to find the right connectors.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried reseating the harness? You could also check the resistance of each cable. It's a little PITA to do though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have now found a couple of good videos on the repair. I've uncovered the motor but not removed it. First glance shows no issue with the wires at the motor.

Next step is to check out the cables, and make sure no shorts or opens. If nothing found I think I'll order a motor and try it before installing just to make sure the controller is OK. At this point I like the idea of having a spare motor even if the one I have is eventually found to be good.

Hard to believe they charge $100 for a harness. It would be very easy to make. Just need to find the right connectors.
    I'm carrying two extra motors. You're welcome to one of them.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Have you tried reseating the harness? You could also check the resistance of each cable. It's a little PITA to do though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    I can't get to the repair project for a couple of days, but checking resistance on motor leads will be the way I approach it. I reseated connections at the control board initially but not yet at the motor. If motor resistance shows at end of cable open or shorted, then I'll unplug motor and run continuity check on cable.

I appreciate your offer on a spare motor but I'll just pick one up off Amazon. My trailer is only 18 months old. It really seems Lippert should warranty this.

The Schwintek system is pretty interesting as a cheap way to move slides, but it just looks like an accident waiting to happen. On my previous 5th wheel, I had a conventional electric through the frame slides that worked perfectly for 11 years. It's sad the RV industry has adopted this mechanism to save a few bucks on manufacturing costs.
    Last edited by dryfly; 07-11-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK