User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2-2-2

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 2-2-2 rule, it would take me a week just to get out of Texas!

I prefer to hit a good 4-5 hours, spend a nice evening, take a (potty) break every 2-3 hours, eat 3 meals a day, and a break every 2-3 days, staying over a night, until we get where we're going. On the short layovers, I'd love to be able to boondock... get there before sundown to set up, cook dinner outside and relax. Leave the next morning by 9, and hit a good lick!
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the 222 rule in many posts on various RV forums.
    Drive 200 miles
    Stop by 2pm
    Stay 2 nights

Personally, I drive between 260-320 miles per day.
    Stop by 4pm and often stay 2 nights or more.

If we stay only one night the I try and make sure we stay 2 nights the following stop. In other words, I don't like to just drive and stay one night day after day.

Be safe.
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to drive almost 800 miles in one day between my house and my parents place. That was 12-13 hours of fast driving. I don't want to do that anymore but still have limited vacation. So my rules now are never leave before dawn, get off the road before dark and if reserving sites always plan for under 600 miles a day. One night stops on the way somewhere are the norm but three nights seems about right in a National Park.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We try to stick to the rule of 3's. Pretty much same concept: 300 miles, stop after 3 hours, in the park by 3pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we are destination RV'ers, we try to get to our final destination as quickly as possible. Our average haul to our usual final destinations are 3-4 days. We travel between 8-10 hours per day, depending on where we plan on stopping for the evening. We are always on the road at 5-6 in morning so we have time when we reach our stopping location for the day. This allows time to eat, shop, and enjoy the local area. We are in our early 50's so the 8-10 hours is still doable. I am sure as we get older our tolerance will be reduced.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago, I heard another version of the "Rule of 3s" from a FT RVer:

300 miles
    Arrive by 3 p.m.
    Set up, and have 3 adult beverages while entertained by those setting up after you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it all really depends on where you are going, trip type, conditions (weather, road, traffic, road type...)
    We tend to do more sightseeing trips then destination. We do a hybrid approach to the 2-2-2 mix with 3-3-3 I guess.
    I see no point in staying more then 1 night if there's not much to see or do but then again we don't do full days of driving so we don't need a couple of days to rest either. DW preffers to stay 2 nights but I don't. I figure that I'm on vacation so I don't stress and our schedule is pretty slack. Get up have coffee, relax out by 10ish. Drive a couple of hours and stop for lunch (there always a quick pit stop in there as well), Drive a couple of hours (we don't really measure by distance). We usually stop by 3ish. If there's something to see along the way then we stop and stay or move on.
    So that's to shots of 2hrs then 1 to 2 nights but always 3 adult beverage (on a slow night) 2 x 2, 1-2 but always x +/-3 = ___
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    2-2-2 is an old Full-timers guideline where it's the journey that counts and not the destination. I guess somebody started using it to push electric vehicles...not for me either.

Red
    We are Full time and when we are on the road we try to stay around 3-4 hours while driving, stopping whenever the mood strikes we normally are very successful at turning a 3 hour drive into a 4 hour drive. we will drive a day stay a night drive a day stay 2 nights.
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Never heard of 2-2-2 but I can see how maybe in the electric vehicle world it would be the thing to do by necessity.

Might even be a gimmick someone is pushing to make the range for electric vehicles sound more practical. (cynical side showing through)
    2-2-2 was around way before Electric Vehicles became a thing.

The way I originally heard the rule-of-thumb was:

Drive no more than 200 miles...

Stop before 2 pm...

Stay for two days.

One thing that new full-timers seem to do during their first year (or two) is to travel/drive too far. They find themselves burning out on the travel portion of RVing and not enjoying the places they have been as much as they thought they would.

This burnout can easily be fixed by just slowing down your pace of travel, Ergo: the 2-2-2 rule.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I can honestly say, I can never see myself buying an electric vehicle of any sort/kind..........the exception might be an electric wheelchair if/when I get to the point I need one.
    Too bad, Electric Vehicles are quite enjoyable to drive.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast