2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Goodluck

With simple quarterly inspections a roof will last a lifetime

2021 Imagine 2400 BH1
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    It improves the odds, for sure. But there are plenty of people who've experienced pinhole leaks that were only detected after the damage had been done. Those are really easy to miss on a routine look-over.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    your assertion of "simple quarterly inspections" sure did not prevent my 2021 MLE from leaking mere months from purchase. This RV is replete with issues arising from shoddy workmanship and attention to details.
    It happens. Compared to the very large amount of trailers built it is a very small minority
    Social media makes it appear larger than it is imo

Spent a career in the auto industry and even with robotics and high quality control things failed

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ripples are likely from your roof billowing at speed down the highway. Watch rigs coming at you from the other side as you drive and you see it all the time. I had the same issue myself. The membrane starts to become unglued and balloons up from a low pressure zone above the roof, kind of like an airplane wing. That’s how it got cut at that edge. Then it wrinkles as it settles down.

Unfortunately I was well outside warranty, and the third owner to boot. A repair shop wanted to replace the whole roof for $6k, with the same crappy membrane and only a 90 day warranty. I wound up having FlexArmor sprayed on for a bit less and a lifetime transferable warranty. Was a huge bummer, but the new roof has been great.

You can patch the hole, but I’m not sure how you can stop the billowing.

Eric

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew

^^^^^ This ^^^^ Preventative maintenance is crucial to staying in front of problems and making simple repairs before they become a problem. Read and re-read every manual for your rig and all appliances and maintain a steadfast preventative maintenance schedule.

Good luck
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emelch View Post
    The ripples are likely from your roof billowing at speed down the highway. Watch rigs coming at you from the other side as you drive and you see it all the time. I had the same issue myself. The membrane starts to become unglued and balloons up from a low pressure zone above the roof, kind of like an airplane wing. That’s how it got cut at that edge. Then it wrinkles as it settles down.

Unfortunately I was well outside warranty, and the third owner to boot. A repair shop wanted to replace the whole roof for $6k, with the same crappy membrane and only a 90 day warranty. I wound up having FlexArmor sprayed on for a bit less and a lifetime transferable warranty. Was a huge bummer, but the new roof has been great.

Eric
    See I agree with this ^^^^

I also agree that quarterly inspections / preventative maintenance is also very important.

Here is the real issue. My buddy and I were on the roof, inspecting it and adjusting the rear awning. the week before I went on my last trip. We saw NO ripples, NO holes, nothing that needed any attention whatsoever....

I go camping 4 days after that, and on the way home on Sunday, we are coming thru the huge rain storm in north texas... WHen I get home I have water leaking into my rig.

The roof delaminated on the way home, and ballooned up is my thought, and it caused the tears in my roof and thus the leaks.

I guess now what I should do is buy a camera and watch the roof top as I drive because quarterly / weekly / 24 hour / monthly inspections will not let you know if your roof is going to have a failure driving down the road because of a shitty glue job at the factory..

I have talked to GD, and she gave me a case number with pre auth to go to dealership. They GD have IMO always treated me right, however..... GD has no control over the fact that if I take this to a dealer, my camper is gone for at least 2 - 4 months to get this work done.... And while it is sitting there waiting it could be leaking. I will have to deal with this to make sure nothing else is wrong, then after that perhaps I will take it to flexarmour and have that put on as it will be more robust than a rubber roof.

While taking the AC housing off found two more holes and a issue on the skylight as well.. Pretty sure if there was not an AC unit there holding the roof material down, my rubber roof would have been laying on the highway.

I love how on the skylight they way overcut it. You can tell by the pic how they cut a stright line way past where they should have and the fix as you can also see was to just run the caulk out an extra inch and half to cover up the bad cut..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_67193857.jpg   image_67157505.jpg   image_67189249.jpg   image_50365441.jpg   image_67163905.jpg  

Last edited by stumpfinder; 08-09-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altidude View Post
    Ok there is a pattern of not good roof's in GD trailers. I have a 2021 GD Imagine XLS 22MLE. Why not get a spray on bed liner properly installed to replace their cheap roof? I know why GD does not do it to meet a price point, but the fix is simple and far cheaper than a failure. What am I missing?
    I agree with you. We have a 2016 Solitude. I go up there at least twice a year to look things over and fill in new cracks in the lap compound that have formed since the last time...

When we finally need a new roof (thinking 3-4 years max) We are having the "lifetime warranty" plastic roof installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vJb528pRNY
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Maybe in Canada
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpfinder View Post
    See I agree with this ^^^^

I also agree that quarterly inspections / preventative maintenance is also very important.

Here is the real issue. My buddy and I were on the roof, inspecting it and adjusting the rear awning. the week before I went on my last trip. We saw NO ripples, NO holes, nothing that needed any attention whatsoever....

I go camping 4 days after that, and on the way home on Sunday, we are coming thru the huge rain storm in north texas... WHen I get home I have water leaking into my rig.

The roof delaminated on the way home, and ballooned up is my thought, and it caused the tears in my roof and thus the leaks.

I guess now what I should do is buy a camera and watch the roof top as I drive because quarterly / weekly / 24 hour / monthly inspections will not let you know if your roof is going to have a failure driving down the road because of a shitty glue job at the factory..

I have talked to GD, and she gave me a case number with pre auth to go to dealership. They GD have IMO always treated me right, however..... GD has no control over the fact that if I take this to a dealer, my camper is gone for at least 2 - 4 months to get this work done.... And while it is sitting there waiting it could be leaking. I will have to deal with this to make sure nothing else is wrong, then after that perhaps I will take it to flexarmour and have that put on as it will be more robust than a rubber roof.

While taking the AC housing off found two more holes and a issue on the skylight as well.. Pretty sure if there was not an AC unit there holding the roof material down, my rubber roof would have been laying on the highway.

I love how on the skylight they way overcut it. You can tell by the pic how they cut a stright line way past where they should have and the fix as you can also see was to just run the caulk out an extra inch and half to cover up the bad cut..
    I feel your pain. Have not been able to use my 2021 mle all year. Inspection date finally arrived yesterday. I have been waiting since April. They were in awe with all the issues. In conversations and exchanges of emails, Grand Design expressed no empathy.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emelch View Post

Eric
    How does air get under there to cause the billowing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To close the loop on this one.

1. Roof de-laminated from wood. No quarterly inspection would have caught the shoody work from GD.
    2. Contacted GD and was told to take it to dealership. After calling 3 in the DFW area and as far out as Tyler TX, it was going to be 2 - 5 months of rig sitting on a lot waiting for work to be done. Still have no idea if they would have fixed anything and covered it, or if it would have just been another problem 6 months later.
    3. Took the rig to https://dfwrvroof.com/ and in two days, I had upgraded skylights / fans / and a brand new roof that I never have to step foot on again (in theory)

I am really happy with the new roof and hope it delivers.

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast