User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    A couple of things I thought that I would mention here. As far as a independent front end in a heavy towing truck it does make for a better ride. But, does that mean it's better for towing? Nope. If the independent front end wheel alignment is set correctly empty it will be way off with a 14000 lb RV setting behind it. So, if you set the front end correctly with the RV on it & then its out of alignment when you drive around empty. Pick your poison type of thing. In my book; winner straight axel. That is why they have been around forever. As far as the dreaded CP4 fuel pump the fact is its been updated a couple of years ago. With better internal components. So, it could be as good as a CP3 now. You don't know & I don't either at this point. Will see as time goes by. Also S&S diesel that has a new kit for $400 that filters the fuel in a clear bowl if you see metal change the pump, clean out the filter housing & good to go. No $15,000 repair. There are always a way around things. And by the way Dodge did use the CP4 pump in 19 & 20 I believe were the 2 years. There is a kit to use to switch it over to the CP3, if you happen to have a extra $3G. As far as the diesel motors Ford is the only one with the guts to build their own diesel. Gmotors gets theirs from Japan I think. Italian motors uses Cummings & Ford uses Power Strokes built in Mexico.
    By the way I love the new 10 speed backing up the Power Stroke, It is one sweet transmission.
    both types of front axles have caster, camber and toe settings. And both types will see those settings effectively change with a14K trailer behind them. But the solid axle can only have the toe adjusted ( at least not without a plasma cutter and a welder) Only the independant axle offers the ability to have the aligmnment set for towing a 14K trailer, if one desires: WINNER, independant suspension.

As for the CP4. yes it was improved somewhat with DLC, but it still has it's 2 major flaws.

1. the piston has a roller that rides on the cam similar to a roller lifter, BUT there is no mechanisim to prevent the piston from turning sideways in its bore, so the roller no longer rolls. It then destroys itself. Another brand has used a similar design for quite some time but, thay have a patented feature that prevents this. Bosch will not pay them for the right to use it on their pump.

2. when this pump fails, it takes out the entire fuel system. The filter makes no difference as it is upstream from the pump. So a pump failure
    means all new injectors, lines etc, This is why it costs so much/
    All motors will have a fue pump failure at some point in their life. Usually a few bucks, an afternoon, a few beers, and you are back on the road.

Yes I am aware of the aftermarket kits to "fix" this.
    IMO. Ford should be installing this at the factory.
    A consumer should not have to worry about a known issue when buying a new truck,
    All of the big 3 have used this pump. 2 of them stopped using it due to warranty costs.
    Skip the headache and buy one of them.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

As for the CP4. yes it was improved somewhat with DLC, but it still has it's 2 major flaws.

All motors will have a fuel pump failure at some point in their life. Usually a few bucks, an afternoon, a few beers, and you are back on the road.
    There are 6 class action suits (2 each against each of the big 3) on this pump. In the pleadings so far, Fords appear to have suffered fewer catastrophic failures - either that or the Ford forums are just not as vociferous. Below is good summary article, and yes I have one these bloody things in my RAM. According to RAMCares, there is a "fix" in the works for 2019-2020 which may just be extending the warranty that they still won't cover. 2020 RAMS built after Aug-Sep 2020 have an upgraded CP4. 2021s I believe have gone back to the CP3. It's like sitting on a time bomb which I don't want to worry about. I only fuel up at brand stations, use only Mopar filters, add additional lubrication and water disperser in each tank, Mopar DEF (another issue), and keep ALL receipts.

https://autowise.com/diesel-engine-f...suits-roll-on/

And I am particularly sensitive as I've lost my VP44 in my 01 Cummins at 85K miles due to a failed lift pump while pulling horses and well within the dates for the Cummins 100K warranty which Dodge refused to honor (exactly what is happening now with the CP4). Truck simply died on the highway. At the time, Chrysler was owned by Daimler-Benz. I wrote every Benz senior executive, including Dr. Z, in German. Ultimately I had to pay for and replace my own pump (thankfully only the VP44). Benz ultimately reimbursed me but the time I lost in fighting that was not trivial.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    There are 6 class action suits (2 each against each of the big 3) on this pump. In the pleadings so far, Fords appear to have suffered fewer catastrophic failures - either that or the Ford forums are just not as vociferous. Below is good summary article, and yes I have one these bloody things in my RAM. According to RAMCares, there is a "fix" in the works for 2019-2020 which may just be extending the warranty that they still won't cover. 2020 RAMS built after Aug-Sep 2020 have an upgraded CP4. 2021s I believe have gone back to the CP3. It's like sitting on a time bomb which I don't want to worry about. I only fuel up at brand stations, use only Mopar filters, add additional lubrication and water disperser in each tank, Mopar DEF (another issue), and keep ALL receipts.

https://autowise.com/diesel-engine-f...suits-roll-on/

And I am particularly sensitive as I've lost my VP44 in my 01 Cummins at 85K miles due to a failed lift pump while pulling horses and well within the dates for the Cummins 100K warranty which Dodge refused to honor (exactly what is happening now with the CP4). Truck simply died on the highway. At the time, Chrysler was owned by Daimler-Benz. I wrote every Benz senior executive, including Dr. Z, in German. Ultimately I had to pay for and replace my own pump (thankfully only the VP44). Benz ultimately reimbursed me but the time I lost in fighting that was not trivial.
    At one time I actually had the files showing the NHSTAs figures on Ford and GM. At that time GM showed a higher rate, BUT that figure was misleading as the way they calculated the figures was from warrantied repairs... And at that time Ford was denying warranty claims, so those failures were not counted. In reality,they were likely pretty close to the same. I lost those files a couple of computers ago though.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    At one time I actually had the files showing the NHSTAs figures on Ford and GM. At that time GM showed a higher rate, BUT that figure was misleading as the way they calculated the figures was from warrantied repairs... And at that time Ford was denying warranty claims, so those failures were not counted. In reality,they were likely pretty close to the same. I lost those files a couple of computers ago though.
    Plying the Cummins forums, there are a lot of folks that would love to know that - and not only RAM owners. None of the big 3 will give a hint.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, ask yourself...do you really need a diesel? I know we don't, so Godzilla here we come...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other thing I see is the tailgate, I believe that Chevy is getting the as I like to call it old man tailgate that was only available on the GMC’s.

For me I preferred the GMC and the Denali over the Chevy High County.

I have a 2020 3500 Denali Diesel and love it! It tows our reflection 311bhs like a dream, however I did add airbags this year due to the squat.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Please I am not wanting to get brand lectures here, just factual information on how to compare truck lines and navigate the different Chevy and GM web sites to compare lines and configure similar trucks

I am looking at new tow vehicles. My 04 F350 6.0 has coast me over 4K in repairs this trip. So as I have time I thought I would look at Chevy/GMC but when I went looking at the Duramax/Allison lines over at Chevy/GMC I get lost in the trim versions/options and packages.

I want to compare apples to apples. So can someone give me pointers in navigating the Chevy/GM world. Looking to find something that compares to the Lariat or King Ranch trim level in the Ford F350 series SRW. 10,500 GVW in a SRW or better. What's about equal over at Chevy/GMC?

First question is what is the difference between Chevy trucks and the GMC trucks. From what I can tell the GMC has the higher trim levels? otherwise the same drivetrain? Is this correct. Looking at 3500 series there

Second question. Is the double cab same as the Ford super cab but in a different door opening configuration?

Third question. It appear the Chevy 350 HD Silverado line is about equal to Ford F350 XLT and to go to higher trim I need to go the the GMC line - is this correct?

Last question. Are rapid specifications (ordering details) similar to Fords available for the Chevy/GMC lines. These would show the details of what is included in each option, etc.

I guess what I am looking for is a how to accurately compare the different brands and options. Trying to be open.

Thanks for any help

Keith
    Whichever brand you think you're going to settle on make sure you compare it with the Ford F450. You will fall in love with the amazing turning radius, and it is comparable to an F350 when carrying payloads . The entire running gear is just much larger i.e. The Springs and brakes and so on and so forth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just replaced my 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel. I do not consider myself brand loyal, as its my $$. I've just never liked the looks inside or out of the GM product. I looked hard at Ford and Ram. We had just bought a couple new ford F-550's at work, and the 10-speed was smooth, but I never liked the Powerstroke. A good camping buddy just replaced his 06 Ford 6.oh oh with a 21 Ford dually. I liked a number of features but the interior just did not jump out at me. I went with the Ram Longhorn Dually mainly that was the interior we loved.....

Only item I have found that Ford did right, where Ram dropped the ball is the 3" receiver hitch in the Ford, where Ram has only a 2 1/2". I can get a solid stinger with the towing capacity, but I wanted the B&W Tow&Stow. It's 2 1/2" is only rated at 14k, versus the 3" at 21kClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 Ram 3500 DRW.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	36341
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy High Country or GMC Denali

Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Please I am not wanting to get brand lectures here, just factual information on how to compare truck lines and navigate the different Chevy and GM web sites to compare lines and configure similar trucks

I am looking at new tow vehicles. My 04 F350 6.0 has coast me over 4K in repairs this trip. So as I have time I thought I would look at Chevy/GMC but when I went looking at the Duramax/Allison lines over at Chevy/GMC I get lost in the trim versions/options and packages.

I want to compare apples to apples. So can someone give me pointers in navigating the Chevy/GM world. Looking to find something that compares to the Lariat or King Ranch trim level in the Ford F350 series SRW. 10,500 GVW in a SRW or better. What's about equal over at Chevy/GMC?

First question is what is the difference between Chevy trucks and the GMC trucks. From what I can tell the GMC has the higher trim levels? otherwise the same drivetrain? Is this correct. Looking at 3500 series there

Second question. Is the double cab same as the Ford super cab but in a different door opening configuration?

Third question. It appear the Chevy 350 HD Silverado line is about equal to Ford F350 XLT and to go to higher trim I need to go the the GMC line - is this correct?

Last question. Are rapid specifications (ordering details) similar to Fords available for the Chevy/GMC lines. These would show the details of what is included in each option, etc.

I guess what I am looking for is a how to accurately compare the different brands and options. Trying to be open.

Thanks for any help

Keith
    Both HD Truck on GMC are the same , High Country for Chevy and Denali for GMC are the equivalent to Ford Lariat or King Ranch!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All big 3 engines are very comparable as far as HP and Torque. I know GM has a 10 speed Allison transmission now. One thing that sold me,(drove all 3), was the ride on the GM. Ram and the Ford both rode like trucks, My GMC ride is as smooth as the wifes' Lexus. With my 6.6 LML diesel I get 11.5 mpg while pulling my 16000 lb Momentum 5r. Close to 17 w/o. With 75,000 miles on it now w no problems I feel I got my moneys worth. Drive the units then you to will know.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast