User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12V Fridge or Residential Fridge: Which is Better

We just bought a used 2017 29RS that came with the standard 8 cu ft 2-way fridge that GD was using in 2017. Our prior fifth wheel (2007 Cedar Creek) had an Amana residential fridge with a dedicated inverter for the fridge only (mounted in front compartment). We had 4, 6-volt batteries and an Onan 5500 gas generator. The residential Amana worked great for 9 years without a single service issue. So we are fans of the residential fridge option. We love the larger interior space, quicker cool down, auto defrost, extra safety (no gas burning) and reliability.

So we are thinking of switching out the 2-way for either a residential + inverter set-up or going with one of the new 12V options that are out there. This GE 12V on sale at Camping World seems like a nice deal for only $800:

https://www.campingworld.com/ge-9.8-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

As far as I can tell from my reading, the upside of the 12V fridges is that they don't require an inverter to be running all the time. The negative is that most? all? of the 12V models don't have auto defrost like a residential fridge. Also, I see more than a few folks reporting problems with their 12V fridge. Some of the 12V issues seem to relate to inadequate wire gauge between the fridge and 12V system.

What are the thoughts from you folks as to which direction is preferred: 12V or residential?

I know some will be tempted to mention that 2-way is the way to go. But since we have already lived with residential and loved it, I don't see us wanting to return to the 2-way fridge. Thanks for any comments.

Also, is the Reflection 150 door width from 2017 wide enough to take the existing fridge out without any drama?
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-05-2021 at 06:01 AM.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS
    2003 F350 Supercab V10 Longbed
    Pullrite Superlite (like Anderson)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    We just bought a used 2017 29RS that came with the standard 8 cu ft 2-way fridge that GD was using in 2017. Our prior fifth wheel (2007 Cedar Creek) had an Amana residential fridge with a dedicated inverter for the fridge only (mounted in front compartment). We had 4, 6-volt batteries and an Onan 5500 gas generator. The residential Amana worked great for 9 years without a single service issue. So we are fans of the residential fridge option. We love the larger interior space, quicker cool down, auto defrost, extra safety (no gas burning) and reliability.

So we are thinking of switching out the 2-way for either a residential + inverter set-up or going with one of the new 12V options that are out there. This GE 12V on sale at Camping World seems like a nice deal for only $800:

https://www.campingworld.com/ge-9.8-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

As far as I can tell from my reading, the upside of the 12V fridges is that they don't require an inverter to be running all the time. The negative is that most? all? of the 12V models don't have auto defrost like a residential fridge. Also, I see more than a few folks reporting problems with their 12V fridge. Some of the 12V issues seem to relate to inadequate wire gauge between the fridge and 12V system.

What are the thoughts from you folks as to which direction is preferred: 12V or residential?

I know some will be tempted to mention that 2-way is the way to go. But since we have already lived with residential and loved it, I don't see us wanting to return to the 2-way fridge. Thanks for any comments.

Also, is the Reflection 150 door width from 2017 wide enough to take the existing fridge out without any drama?
    If you don't want us to mention the 2-way option then it seems you have already decided..
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. I created the title to the original thread before I wrote the body of the thread. I should have changed the title, which I have now done. Thanks.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops. I see I was only able to change the title to the first entry in the thread, not the entire thread. Not sure how to change the title to the entire thread.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    Whoops. I see I was only able to change the title to the first entry in the thread, not the entire thread. Not sure how to change the title to the entire thread.

PM me the new title and I can change it for you
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the GD national rally, seems the future will be 12V fridge along with a solar panel. Maybe wait until more 12V options are available/
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    At the GD national rally, seems the future will be 12V fridge along with a solar panel. Maybe wait until more 12V options are available/
    Hi @my12by60 As @Captcolour said, my take away from Don Clark's Q & A session at the rally is; 12V fridges are the future and right along with that Grand Design is focused on "state of charge". Whether it be solar or whatever as an engineering priority. We are planning on switching to 12V for it's convenience, safety and simplicity. Best wishes, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you go with residential or a 12v, you will definitely need rethink your charging and power storage options. Both types will be superior to a modern 2-way IF you are set up to support its power needs. Could be more work and expense for those that boondock or dry camp for longer periods.

Regardless of which way you go, we are interested in your experience! Please continue to share as you go forward.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dometic & Norcold have no one but themselves to blame for the upcoming reduction in their 2 way Refrig products. Most overpriced, unreliable, un repairable, over engineered, finicky crap ever foisted on the RV consumer.

Ammonia based refrigeration has been around 100 years and these companies still can’t deliver or service a quality product.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That GE fridge is a power hog. I would look at other brands and read the specs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast