Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coleman AC Leaks in Heavy Rain

If the Coleman AC in the bedroom of our GD 320MKS is set on fan or AC it leaks water onto our bed in very heavy rain. Is this a known problem with these units? Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you remove the interior shroud of the AC there should be 4 nuts that provide the clamping force to hold the AC to the roof. They probably need to be tightened. Look up your particular model number to get the torque value. It is typically in in-lbs for those nuts, so you'll need a smaller range torque wrench.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed a Coleman Mach 3 in the bedroom of my 230RL There are tabs on the crush seal.... tighten 4 bolts until tabs touch the roof.... Also while waiting for help to put the new unit on the roof, I did a though inspection, and noticed a seam in the pan the compressor sits on.... I applied sealant to the seam as a precaution...
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had any issues with my Coleman, but from my experiences with Dometic (the 2016 air conditioner from hell) checking the gasket torque would be the first thing that I would think of to do. While doing that, ensure that the temperature probe is properly inserted in the fins. This serves to prevent extreme icing. Icing can also cause those interior leaks, particularly in humid conditions. If neither of those areas are problematic then closely check the plenum area to ensure proper sealing and separation of intake and exhaust air. If that is fine, then check for leaks from the exterior of the ac unit frame into the plenum using a light source.

Troubleshooting these can be difficult as you can have two leak sources and assume that they are the same leak.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst case, get a fresh gasket. It is a pain to disconnect the wiring and pull the foil tape, but a new gasket, A/C centered in opening, torqued properly, and the re-taped should cure it. The important thing is to fix it fast because it is leaking with any rain, and the water you are not seeing till it's heavy is the water to worry about.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same issue with 2021 29RS rear mounted Coleman A/C unit. Tightening mount bolts did not help. Solution was to turn unit off during heavy rain. If the tray that catches condensation gets plugged with debris the same thing happens, but my tray was clean. I believe the A/C fan, when running, pulls in enough extra water during heavy rain to overflow the tray. I’ve been through many heavy rains since with no more leaks.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Worst case, get a fresh gasket. It is a pain to disconnect the wiring and pull the foil tape, but a new gasket, A/C centered in opening, torqued properly, and the re-taped should cure it. The important thing is to fix it fast because it is leaking with any rain, and the water you are not seeing till it's heavy is the water to worry about.
    This is the best permanent solution.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RML850 View Post
    Same issue with 2021 29RS rear mounted Coleman A/C unit. Tightening mount bolts did not help. Solution was to turn unit off during heavy rain. If the tray that catches condensation gets plugged with debris the same thing happens, but my tray was clean. I believe the A/C fan, when running, pulls in enough extra water during heavy rain to overflow the tray. I’ve been through many heavy rains since with no more leaks.
    You're dead on!

We had a similar issue with our 2016 dometic AC's on our old rig. The culprit was the seam where the top cover set onto the bottom cover...allowing lots of water in. I taped those seams and never had another issue. These acs had been reinstalled at the factory....so gaskets etc were not the issue.

You would think they would design a rooftop ac to not be do vulnerable to rain!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel