User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Imagine 2760 MK

I have read some older threads regarding portable surge protection and installed EMS/Surge Protection. My trailer is wired for 50A. We will learn to use the camper at an isolated town (Mina, NV) while we learn the do and don't lessons before taking it on the road for a few months.

An RV park owner has offered to let us use a spare area to hook up, the park runs 30A. As temps fall I don't foresee requiring both of my AC units, 50A, but I want electronic and electrical safety now and in the future. I will see below freezing temps later this year.

Can I get by using a 50A protector at a 30A park? Do I need two separate protectors?

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-POW...1485718&sr=8-1

Marc
    Last edited by oldnavy; 09-12-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I have read some older threads regarding portable surge protection and installed EMS/Surge Protection. My trailer is wired for 50A. We will learn to use the camper at an isolated town (Mina, NV) while we learn the do and don't lessons before taking it on the road for a few months.

An RV park owner has offered to let us use a spare area to hook ua 50Ap, the park runs 30A. As temps fall I don't foresee requiring both of my AC units, 50A, but I want electronic and electrical safety now and in the future. I will see below freezing temps later this year.

Can I get by using a 50A protector at a 30A park? Do I need two separate protectors?

Marc
    Nope, you just need a 50 to 30 amp dog bone converter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085H8PPJL...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Please note that this is an example, just the first one that came up on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An RV park owner has offered to let us use a spare area to hook up, the park runs 30A. As temps fall I don't foresee requiring both of my AC units, 50A, but I want electronic and electrical safety now and in the future. I will see below freezing temps later this year.

Marc
    You do not need two protectors. You need a 50 amp surge protector. To connect to 30 amp you will need a 30 amp male to 50 amp female dog bone adapter. The adapter is plugged into the pedestal 30 amp socket and then your 50 amp protector into the adapter, and then your 50 amp trailer cord into the protector.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Nope, you just need a 50 to 30 amp dog bone converter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085H8PPJL...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Please note that this is an example, just the first one that came up on Amazon.

Thank you, I'm on it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. Thanks for your fast response and I'm off to purchase.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, a common meter for checking the pedestal?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, a common meter for checking the pedestal?
    The cheapest is Harbor Freight, however, I recommend a good meter. Home Depot and Lowes both sell a good quality multimeter. This is one piece of equipment that I recommend you don't "cheap out on". You will eventually want both a clamp meter and a regular multimeter, either manual ranging or autoranging.

Klein Tools is a good choice and Home Depot has a decent price on them. The link below goes to the page with several meters from Klein. If you are not familiar with the operation of a multimeter, there are tons of YouTube videos demonstrating the use of them.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electric...toreSelection=

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information Mark and Marry,

I understand the necessity for a good multimeter and I thank you for the link and suggestions. Home Depot will be my first stop this morning.