User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighting over the bed is too bright

Seems like we can't leave well enough alone. The light over our bed is so bright. If we are trying to watch tv while lying in bed we can't have it on. I like to knit while I'm watching tv so we have a dilemma because the light has to be on for me to knit. I'm thinking we have two options - fashion a lampshade of some kind to tone down the bright light or install a smaller light on my side of the bed so I can knit. Has anyone else come up with a way to tone down that bright light. I do think we could perform surgery.....
    John and Sue
    From Virginia
    2018 F150 5.0L V8
    2021 Transcend Xplor 200MK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SueBane View Post
    Seems like we can't leave well enough alone. The light over our bed is so bright. If we are trying to watch tv while lying in bed we can't have it on. I like to knit while I'm watching tv so we have a dilemma because the light has to be on for me to knit. I'm thinking we have two options - fashion a lampshade of some kind to tone down the bright light or install a smaller light on my side of the bed so I can knit. Has anyone else come up with a way to tone down that bright light. I do think we could perform surgery.....
    There are quite a few threads here about installing a dimmer switch for lights. Some of the posts include recommendations for which switch to order from Amazon, and overcoming a couple of small gotchas that some encounter when installing. An easy and inexpensive fix for a common problem.

Use the search facility at upper right to search for "dimmer", or better still use Google to search this site. Enter this:

"dimmer switch" site:mygrandrv.com

exactly like that into Google and it will search only this site to find posts mentioning a dimmer switch.

Having just re-read your post I realized you're probably talking about the individually-controlled lights with a center-button switch over the bed. That's more challenging, but dimmer switches could be cut into the overhead panel to control those too.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-03-2020 at 08:41 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our 2970RL we have 2 individual reading lamps above the bed that you can kind of see in the included picture, not the best picture but the lights weren't the purpose of the picture. These came with the trailer. They have a push button on them that cycles between blue light, white spot light, and off. I looked for them on the GD Parts Lookup but they are not shown. All the other lights are listed but not these. I have also included an example of one that is on the e-trailer website.

I'm not familiar with your 200MK so I don't know what kind of light you are referring to but am assuming it is the same as we have above our recliners. My wife cross stitches and needs the light. So she sits on the couch and uses that light because the darn thing is too bright when I'm watching TV. So I know what you are talking about. Our problem is in the living room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReadingLamps.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	30540

Name:	2020-11-03_11-21-58.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	30541
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the dimmer switch gets too complicated, I bought a Glocusent neck light on Amazon that you can use outside too. Has 3 brightness settings and holds a charge for a while.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you just change the bulb out for a "warmer" softer light? I know bulbs come in a variety of brightness. ex. bright white, soft white, warm white.. etc..

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It it is the disk kind, I my Flagstaff I cut a couple of layers of flash gels to fit inside. Any colored or translucent plastics would work
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's the small surface mount oval lights you're talking about then your cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to remove them and replace them with something like the lights below.

https://leisurervparts.com/leisure-l...te-30-2835smd/

I used a slightly larger dimmable one over my recliners and relocated the recliner light to the bedroom closet for better lighting.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=OurNewEra;329381]

I'm not familiar with your 200MK so I don't know what kind of light you are referring to but am assuming it is the same as we have above our recliners. My wife cross stitches and needs the light. So she sits on the couch and uses that light because the darn thing is too bright when I'm watching TV. So I know what you are talking about. Our problem is in the living room.

If you have the surface mount light above your recliners you can easily replace it with a dimmable LED fixture. I got a fivepack of these lights below and replaced the one over the recliner. I also added one right in front of the bathroom medicine cabinet so I could see to shave and for my wife doing her makeup. Simple to pop out the ceiling puck light and fish a wire over about 2' to the new light. Best upgrade I've done!

https://leisurervparts.com/rv-led-ce...-4000-4500k-1/

Then I took the old recliner light and used it in the master bedroom closet to replace the small light in there. Next I fished a wire down the front curved ceiling to the shelves in the very front of the closet for extra lighting. I'll try and add a few pictures.

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-160724_Photos.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	36686

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-160729_Photos.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	36685

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-160742_Photos.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	36687
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210915-160742_Photos.jpg  
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 09-15-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Remove thumbnail attached at the bottom
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveyman View Post
    Could you just change the bulb out for a "warmer" softer light? I know bulbs come in a variety of brightness. ex. bright white, soft white, warm white.. etc..
    My understanding is that many of these dome lights don't have bulbs, so are not capable of just changing bulbs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a lighting professional for 40+ years, I'm a firm believer in dimmers. My favorites let you keep a level and turn on & off.

For TV & knitting at the same time you want to have something with a fairly small beam, focused over your shoulder onto your work. Whether it's a battery lights or something wired in, pay attention to what comes out of it.

One old trick might also help. Theatrical and photography lights use "gel" sheets. This stuff is cheap and comes in hundreds of colors and diffusion types. Cut out a piece to slide inside any LED fixture. It can work in incandescent fixtures but it can melt or lose color. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cto+gel or a local shop.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide