Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer is 50 amp but park only has 30

Hi all, new to FTing, moving in beginning of October Have a 2022 Reflection 337RLS which is 50 amp but the park only offers 30, is that going to be okay for the long run? What can I do to alleviate any stress if the wire starts to get hot? I guess any tips or tricks for it will help

Braeden

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on where you are, the weather, and what type of usage you typically are used to.

30 amps is probably fine unless you need to say run the ac and microwave, or microwave and hair dryer, well basically two large draw items at the same time. Make sure you have a good quality 50 to 30 amp adapter as well as a a 50 to 15 adapter. This way you will always have some electricity even when not optimal.

Don’t think your wires will get hot. You can only draw what you use up to a max of 30 amps. You will be fine.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Braeden, along with what redapple shared, as long as you do not run both ACs you will be fine. We rarely camp using 50 amp unless we will need to run both ACs.

We have used our 30 amp cords/adapters for 7 seasons at times with the AC running, microwave in use, a few lights on (and we even have incandescent which draw more power than the newer RVs with LEDs) LED TV on or radio, and even Carol blow drying her hair and only tripped a breaker once. Reset it and good to go.

Your owners manual (at least they used to) have a section listing various RV electrical components and appliance amp draw which is helpful and a good thing to review. Your trial and error using various electrical items for your 337 will be a good learning process.

And as redapple shared as long as you do not use a lighter than 30 amp cord plugged into a 30 amp receptacle with good connecting adapters, you should be gtg.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BraedenandEm View Post
    Hi all, new to FTing, moving in beginning of October Have a 2022 Reflection 337RLS which is 50 amp but the park only offers 30, is that going to be okay for the long run? What can I do to alleviate any stress if the wire starts to get hot? I guess any tips or tricks for it will help

Braeden
    The wire” will not get hot. The park 30 amp will have a 30 amp circuit breaker that will trip if you attempt to use more than 30 amps.

You will need to learn how to manage your power. Each AC on a typical AC draws 12-15 amps so it may not be possible to run both AC units at the same time. Plus if you want to run the microwave or electric water heater with the AC you may exceed 30 amps an trio the park breaker.

Here’s a list of appliance current draws. Use this as a guide and try to limit the current to 24 Amps at one time. https://rvtechlibrary.com/electrical...eloadchart.php
    Last edited by Jerryr; 09-17-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Braeden, I would sure suggest you look at an electrical management system such as the ones made by Progressive Industries. I never considered one when I had trailers wired for 30 amps but when you go with a 50 amp system they are very valuable from a safety standpoint. The hard wired version has a remote readout that can be mounted inside the trailer and will provide you with info on campsite voltage and the amount of current you are drawing. When I'm on a 30 amp pedestal I can determine how much current capacity I have left when deciding on which appliances to use.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    It depends on where you are, the weather, and what type of usage you typically are used to.

30 amps is probably fine unless you need to say run the ac and microwave, or microwave and hair dryer, well basically two large draw items at the same time. Make sure you have a good quality 50 to 30 amp adapter as well as a a 50 to 15 adapter. This way you will always have some electricity even when not optimal.

Don’t think your wires will get hot. You can only draw what you use up to a max of 30 amps. You will be fine.
    We’re going into winter, so an ac should not be necessary, we have the arctic 4 seasons package and peace of mind and ultimate power. Getting a starter pack from the dealership aswell which includes all high quality hoses, black and grey water pipes, adapters and power cord for the trailer, aswell as a dehumidifier and some other smaller things. My girlfriend doesn’t blow dry her hair, but we’ll most likely have a heater on 24/7 and the dehumidifier because we’re on the we(s)t coast of Canada. I’ll see if they have a 15 amp hookup and I could purchase a 50 to 30 and 30 and then have one on 30 amp and the other down to a 15 amp so I have Atleast 15 on one line.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braeden
    My guess to your highlighted question would be - no. You got a 50 amp rig so I figure you wanted the full use of it. With only 50 amps you will be limited to... only one AC at a time; conflicts with electric heating, microwave use, no electric water heater use 100% of the time, hair dryer etc.

You don’t say what model you have (profile says Momentum tho but fails to say which model), we don’t know where you will be “FT’ing, or how long you plan to stay in that 30 amp park.

Like others said: be prepared for some serious electric load management exercises. And if staying in cold weather maybe consider an external large propane tank or 2 as you will find you can’t rely on electric heat.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I

Braeden
    We have camped for 30 years with 30 amp power, sometimes only 15, no problems. As stated you will have to manage your power usage. The worst power hog is an electric toaster, we have to turn everything off when using that!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My guess to your highlighted question would be - no. You got a 50 amp rig so I figure you wanted the full use of it. With only 50 amps you will be limited to... only one AC at a time; conflicts with electric heating, microwave use, no electric water heater use 100% of the time, hair dryer etc.

You don’t say what model you have (profile says Momentum tho but fails to say which model), we don’t know where you will be “FT’ing, or how long you plan to stay in that 30 amp park.

Like others said: be prepared for some serious electric load management exercises. And if staying in cold weather maybe consider an external large propane tank or 2 as you will find you can’t rely on electric heat.
    My first post in this thread literally mentions it’s a 2022 Reflection Fifth wheel 337RLS. Were staying in the park until the end of april then hopefully moving to a provincial park for the summer(since we’re in bc) and get a generator and solar panels, since the trailer is solar ready, and hookup to the sewage and freshwater at the provincial park and pay the 20$ a night rate or whatever it is.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    I

We have camped for 30 years with 30 amp power, sometimes only 15, no problems. As stated you will have to manage your power usage. The worst power hog is an electric toaster, we have to turn everything off when using that!
    Thanks for the heads up!! )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast